Apr 27, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
After four races, the 2014 Indy Lights presented by Cooper Tires championship has officially become The Zach and Gabby Show.
One day after Zach Veach won Race 1 of this weekend’s Lights doubleheader at Barber Motorsports Park, Gabby Chaves answered back with his own wire-to-wire win today in Race 2.
Rain started to fall upon the 2.37-mile circuit about halfway through today’s race and it picked up enough to force Indy Lights officials to call the race four laps shy of the scheduled 40-lap distance.
Chaves took the checkered flag over Belardi Auto Racing teammate Alex Baron, with Veach earning a second podium this weekend by claiming third place for Andretti Autosport.
Today’s 1-2 finish for the Belardi duo is much better than what they received in yesterday’s Race 1. In that 30-lap race, they made contact just after the green flag, and Baron was forced to rally to a fourth-place result while Chaves had to settle for fifth.
“It was a clean start, and we managed to get a 1-2 going on in the first lap with my teammate. We put yesterday’s incident behind us and worked together to get away from the other guys,” Chaves said to the IMS Radio Network.
“Yesterday was very disappointing, but there’s no better way to come back than with a win.”
INDY LIGHTS – RACE TWO, BARBER MOTORSPORTS PARK
1. Gabby Chaves
2. Alex Baron, -1.6 seconds
3. Zach Veach, -3.5 seconds
4. Luiz Razia, -7.15 seconds
5. Jack Harvey, -9.3 seconds
6. Juan Pablo Garcia, -11.4 seconds
7. Juan Piedrahita, -14.1 seconds
8. Zack Meyer, -17.0 seconds
9. Lloyd Read, -25.4 seconds
10. Scott Anderson, -28.3 seconds
11. Vittorio Ghirelli, Lap 33, Mechanical
12. Matthew Brabham, Lap 26, Mechanical
- Manor passes final crash tests ahead of Australian GP 1
- WATCH: Mercedes F1: Road to Repeat at 8 p.m. ET highlights F1 block on NBCSN 0
- Manor Marussia F1 confirms trip to Melbourne 3
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 2
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 3
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1