Apr 28, 2014, 1:54 AM EST
There are sports columns that are so bad that readers stop reading after the first paragraph or two – sometimes even after the first sentence.
Then there are sports columns that absolutely hit the target dead-on.
Huntsville (Ala.) Times columnist Mark McCarter falls into the latter category. His column on Barber Motorsports Park and this past weekend’s IndyCar race there absolutely, positively nailed it – with some good-natured humor thrown in.
From the headline, a reader is immediately drawn in: “The preposterous notion of an IndyCar race in Alabama turns out to be a rousing success”
You can click on the headline to read the whole column, but we’d be remiss if we didn’t repeat the best part of McCarter’s outstanding piece of prose:
Just as (track founder/builder George) Barber envisioned, (Barber Motorsports Park) also was a magnificent racing venue for the daredevils on two wheels and those expensive, sleek sports cars that make so many cameo appearances in mid-life crisis dreams.
Too tight. Can’t pass. Too many elevation changes.
And, besides, didn’t anybody look at a map?
It’s Alabama, for cryin’ out loud.
It’s Talladega territory, the sole – and soul – of NASCAR’s Southern footprint. This is where kids are taught to count, “One … two … Earnhardt … four…”
But, look here. The Honda IndyCar Grand Prix of Alabama is in its fifth season. It’s still a hit.
Indeed, IndyCar racing continues to be a big hit and success deep in the heart of Dixie, and will likely keep doing so for many more years to come. Who knew?
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Manor passes final crash tests ahead of Australian GP 1
- WATCH: Mercedes F1: Road to Repeat at 8 p.m. ET highlights F1 block on NBCSN 0
- Manor Marussia F1 confirms trip to Melbourne 3
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 2
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 3
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1