Apr 28, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
Given his prodigious pace on the street circuits the first two Verizon IndyCar Series events of the season, Bryan Herta Autosport/BBM with Curb-Agajanian’s Jack Hawksworth came down to earth a bit this weekend at Barber Motorsports Park.
While the pace wasn’t entirely there for the English rookie, a result was, for once. A 12th place finish marked his early career best after failures to finish in both St. Petersburg and Long Beach, despite top-10 qualifying positions in both.
Hawksworth equaled Justin Wilson in terms of gaining the most positions – 10 from his starting position – and brought the No. 98 Charter/Castrol Edge Honda home after avoiding the incidents that affected the race.
“The BHA guys had some good calls on pit lane and I think we salvaged something from what was a difficult weekend. To get twelfth after the weekend we had was a good result in the end, so a big thank you to the team for working hard all weekend and for their ability to keep believing,” he said post-race.
The other three rookies had less clean days. Carlos Huertas had a brief off in Turn 6 to cause the fourth full course caution but ended 16th.
Meanwhile accidents for Mikhail Aleshin and Carlos Munoz took them both out of the race. Aleshin’s shunt at Turn 14 on lap 66 brought out the final and race-ending full course caution.
All four will have their first crack at the new Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course next race, Saturday May 10.
Video from NASCAR America
- MST exclusive: BK Racing co-owner Anthony Marlowe apologizes for Cole Whitt/David Ragan tweet controversy 0
- What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014 1
- Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports 5
- NBCSN’s F1 coverage delivers best ever single-season numbers for a cable network 6
- Mercedes reserve Wehrlein leads final Abu Dhabi test day to end 2014 0
- Jean-Eric Vergne confirms Toro Rosso exit 3
- Bottas leads as McLaren-Honda delayed on first day of Abu Dhabi test 6