Apr 28, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT
Kurt Busch‘s run toward the Indianapolis 500/Coca-Cola 600 double began this morning, as Andretti Autosport revealed the primary sponsor and livery for his No. 26 Honda.
The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series star will be backed at the “500” by Suretone Entertainment, which currently manages artists such as rock legends Fleetwood Mac and ZZ Top. The company also runs a record label and works in film and TV production.
“This thing started about a year and a half ago,” team owner Michael Andretti said during today’s unveiling at team HQ in Indianapolis. “We got Kurt to actually come out and test one of our cars and we were quite impressed, and we were like, ‘Hey Kurt, what do you think?’ So we started dialogue all the way back then and it’s finally become reality.”
After today’s festivities, Busch will enter the cockpit tomorrow when he begins his “500” Rookie Orientation Program at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
“It really comes into play tomorrow at the track, when I sit in as a driver behind the wheel,” he said at the unveiling. “To go 220 [miles per hour] in race trim and then to ramp it up – [team owner] Michael [Andretti] already told me I gotta do 230 if I think I’m going to have a shot at the fast group – it’s an amazing challenge.
“Today really kicks it off, and we’ll focus for these next 30 days.”
In a statement released by the team, Suretone chairman Jordan Schur said the the company took “great pride to partner with Andretti Autosport as we support Kurt in his incredible endeavor.”
- It’s “never-say-die” for Graham Rahal with three races left 0
- Paralyzed driver Michael Johnson returning to track in Pro Mazda 0
- Simon Pagenaud ‘agonizingly close’ to wins at Mid-Ohio, not to success in 2015 0
- With three races left, who could still win in IndyCar, season 2015? 1
- Marcos Ambrose looks to salvage lost season in V8 Supercars, has had no issues ‘moving on’ from NASCAR 6
- NHRA: Big changes coming to Pro Stock this weekend, next season 20
- Report: Alex Zanardi keen to make Indianapolis 500 debut 7