Apr 29, 2014, 7:19 PM EST
Former Indianapolis 500 and Formula One champion Jacques Villeneuve got re-acquainted with an old friend today.
The 43-year-old French-Canadian, who won the 1995 edition of The Greatest Spectacle in Racing, turned in 83 laps at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway today as part of a refresher test for his ‘500’ return next month with Schmidt Peterson Motorsports.
Villeneuve topped out with a lap of 217.742 miles per hour in the No. 5 Dollar General Honda, and he admitted today that it took a bit of time for him to get truly sorted in the cockpit.
“It took a while to get there,” said Villeneuve, who is now cleared to take part in ‘500’ practice starting May 11. “The first few laps were surprising because it felt like I was going fast and I looked and it was 180 [mph]. I thought, ‘There’s still a long way to go,’ and then 190.
“And [after] another 10 laps, I started getting in the rhythm and once you start going flat all around, it becomes easy. I think your brain [and] your vision just needs to get used to driving at speed.”
Villeneuve added that with a stiff 25 mph wind blowing around the Speedway, there was no point to trim out his car early on. But they did manage to focus on the car’s set-up as the day progressed.
Should he qualify for the “500,” he’ll tie a record for the biggest gap between starts in the world’s greatest race. Two drivers, Cy Marshall and Roland Free, currently hold the record for their starts between 1930 and 1947.
As part of his refresher test, Villeneuve had to run 30 laps that make up the second and third phases of the race’s Rookie Orientation Program. Phase 2 of ROP involves 15 laps between 205-210 mph, and Phase 3 requires 15 laps at 210+ mph.
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 0
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 0
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1