Apr 29, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
The last time Eric McClure qualified for a Sprint Cup race was 2006.
Since then, he’s failed to qualify five times – four at Daytona and once at Talladega.
But the veteran Nationwide Series driver – he’s currently 18th in the standings – will make another bid at making his first Sprint Cup race in eight years for this Sunday’s Aaron’s 499 at Talladega Superspeedway.
McClure has made just three qualified career starts in the Cup Series, including twice at Talladega (finished 26th in spring 2004 and 31st in fall 2006).
And even though he failed once again to make the field for this year’s season-opening Daytona 500, he’ll be back at it on NASCAR’s other restrictor plate track, hoping to pilot a third car for Front Row Motorsports in Sunday’s race.
Driving the No. 35 Ford, McClure hopes to qualify and make Sunday’s race with defending race winner and FRM teammate David Ragan and fellow teammate David Gilliland, who pushed Ragan to the win in last year’s spring race there. McClure will also race in Saturday’s Aaron’s 312 Nationwide Series race there, as well.
“I am very appreciative of the opportunity Bob (Jenkins) and Front Row Motorsports have given me to drive the No. 35 car at Talladega,” McClure said in a team media release. “After having a fast car at Daytona (International Speedway in February), the disappointment of missing that race still lingers a bit for me.
“I am optimistic we can make the show at Talladega and have the chance to compete for a great finish.”
In addition to his two previous starts at ‘Dega, McClure has seven NNS starts there, with a career-best 15th-place finish in spring 2008. He’ll be sponsored in his bid to make Sunday’s race by Hefty Ultimate/Reynolds Wrap.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Caterham denies future is at risk despite goods being seized 1
- Simona de Silvestro’s F1 hopes at risk due to financial problems 7
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 23
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3