IndyCar: Trio of partner updates for Rahal, Newgarden, Bell

Apr 29, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Photo: SFHR Photo: SFHR

Three brief sponsor and technology updates for drivers in the Verizon IndyCar Series:

• Graham Rahal’s No. 15 National Guard Honda will see Google Glass technology utilized in IndyCar for the first time, with four of his crewmembers set to wear it during pit stops at Wednesday’s Indianapolis Motor Speedway. RLL is partnering with Kansas City, Mo.-based Engage Mobile Solutions to provide the first-person, real-time perspective. More here from an Engage Mobile release.
  • Klipsch Audio, an Indianapolis-based premium speakers and headphones company, will serve as primary sponsor for Josef Newgarden’s No. 67 Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing entry (see picture, right) for the Grand Prix of Indianapolis. “Bringing Klipsch as the primary sponsor to the inaugural Grand Prix will be fantastic, especially with its headquarters here and the excitement around that particular event. We are thankful for their increased involvement and know both SFHR and Klipsch will share the benefits of this great partnership in Indianapolis!” said SFHR team co-owner Sarah Fisher.
  • Townsend Bell’s No. 6 KV Racing Technology entry for the Indianapolis 500 continues to gain partners. Primary sponsor Robert Graham and associate Beneteau have already been announced; Royal Purple was confirmed on Monday. “It is really cool that they have added their support to my Indy 500 effort in addition to their support of my TUDOR United SportsCar Championship AIM Autosport Ferrari program. I just want to thank everyone at Royal Purple and I look forward to enjoying the whole Indy 500 experience with their employees and customers,” Bell said in a release.

1. chad4208 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:08 AM

pit crews wearing google glasses. The world has officially stooped to its lowest

• testover6370 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:54 AM

One of my engineering classmates was selected to be in the pilot program and let us try out an early version. While the thought of people wearing and using them in everyday social settings is off-putting, I could see the use of them in motorsports engineering applications. The idea of having schematics or setup specs in your view as you work on a car seems pretty handy. It sounds like this initial application could just be video streaming, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see it used in more practical applications soon.

• chad4208 - Apr 29, 2014 at 6:38 PM

i agree with you. My remark was a poor attempt at being satirical or…something. I can’t t think of the right word, but really how I think of it in a social setting being rather pathetic and one of the lower points of society in certain aspects. My opinion.

2. manik56 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Wont that be distracting? I guess Rahal has to make it past turn 4 for it to even matter.

3. givemethehighgear - Apr 29, 2014 at 12:07 PM

A car with Klipsch livery is going to look boss as hell…I hope they sell a die cast of it.

4. techmeister1 - Apr 29, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Google glass is for those who are an arse. Marketeers will try anything to dupe the clueless. Thankful states are already outlawing this stupid and dangerous crap in addition to the privacy issues that will be addressed shortly. Marketeers make billions off of gullible sheeple.

5. Jeff - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:01 PM

The Klipsch SFHR looks badass! I love it. Hope it will be the same livery for the 500 too.

Video from NASCAR America