Apr 30, 2014, 11:27 AM EST
During a teleconference Wednesday, McMurray told reporters that in the heat of the moment, sometimes emotions come out charged up and lead to a situation where a punch in the garage could happen.
“Well, I hoped that NASCAR would just let that go,” he said. “They have preached to all of us that they want us to be who we are, and I think it’s good that you have some characters in the sport that ‑ I’m not calling Casey or Marcus out, but not everyone is willing to ‑ or is the type of guy that would punch someone, right? Everyone has a moment that they’re extremely upset, but I don’t think that ‑ I think you can count on one hand the guys that would actually throw a punch. Everyone is talking about it.”
But, he said, people are talking about it – and that’s the tell-all. Even when McMurray was in the midst of house construction.
“I’m building a house, and when I got up to the home site, that’s all the guys wanted to talk about was ‘Oh, my gosh, did you see that,’ and they wanted to know if I have any inside scoop. I think it’s great,” he said.
Given the now likelihood of a fine in such a situation, McMurray said this would reduce the likelihood of any further fisticuffs.
“I don’t know, I was really hoping that NASCAR was going to let it go or that the fines would be less because that’s a huge ‑ $25,000 is massive,” McMurray said. “My opinion of that is that you won’t see it happen again because I think people will think about that and be like, it’s not worth it. It’s not worth $25,000 for me to express exactly how I feel at this time.”
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 0
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 30
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0