Apr 30, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
The Colombian will drive Team Penske’s No. 12 Ford at Michigan June 15 and the Brickyard 400 July 27. SKF will sponsor the entry at Michigan with the sponsor for the Brickyard TBD; Greg Erwin serves as crew chief.
“Juan is a proven winner in multiple racing disciplines and he is one of the most versatile racecar drivers competing today,” Roger Penske said in a team release. “Michigan and Indianapolis are two important races for Team Penske. We know Juan has the ability to race for wins in both of those events while still focusing on his full-time program in the Verizon IndyCar Series.”
Montoya, who failed to win an oval race during his seven full-time seasons in NASCAR before coming back over to IndyCar this year, always ran very well at these particular two ovals but often ran out of luck.
“It has been a good start to the season with Team Penske in the Verizon IndyCar Series and it will be fun to get back behind the wheel of the Cup car,” said Montoya. “It’s hard to believe, but Roger Penske has never won the Brickyard 400. I think that Brad, Joey and I will give Roger and Team Penske a great opportunity to check that off the list and we should be strong at Michigan as well.”
The No. 12 is also scheduled to roll out for Penske development driver Ryan Blaney, Kansas in May and Talladega in October, also with Erwin as crew chief.
Video from NASCAR America
- Mercedes drivers “remain free to race” following meeting today 0
- With nothing to lose, IndyCar title contender Pagenaud charges into Fontana 0
- Tony Stewart’s return to NASCAR may be one of hardest things he’s ever done 21
- Tony Stewart to return to race at Atlanta this weekend 20
- Team Penske on verge of ending 8-year IndyCar title drought 0
- IndyCar title quest continues for Helio Castroneves 0
- Could Tony Stewart return to race this weekend at Atlanta? 15