May 1, 2014, 12:28 PM EST
Sahara Force India has a new partner in the form of Smiroff premium vodka. The branding will be seen on the sidepods, rear wing and top of Vijay Mallya’s VJM07 chassis starting at the Spanish Grand Prix weekend, with a new livery featuring a more prominent percentage of black that premiered last race in China.
As an official partner, Smirnoff plans to use the partnership to deliver a powerful anti-drink and drive message.
“It’s fantastic to see Smirnoff join the world of Formula One,” Mallya said in a team release. “It’s an iconic, global brand and we welcome them to the Sahara Force India family.
“As a team we’ve always mixed the highest professionalism on the track with great celebrations away from it and our partnership with Smirnoff reinforces those values. As we continue to make progress on the track, Smirnoff is the ideal brand to help celebrate these moments and open up the sport to new fans.”
Added Matt Bruhn, Smirnoff Global Brand Director, “We love Sahara Force India’s story, as well as its ability to help us communicate about responsibility and top quality performance. This team is shaking up how we perceive racing and giving the establishment a real run for its money.”
No terms or length was revealed in the team release, but it is expected to be a multi-year deal.
Sergio Perez delivered the team its first podium in five years at Bahrain, and Nico Hulkenberg has finished fifth or sixth in each of the four Grands Prix thus far. The team currently ranks third in the Constructor’s Championship with 54 points, only three behind Red Bull in second.
Video from NASCAR America
- Weekend wrap: Lewis Hamilton back on top of the F1 mountain 0
- Maurizio Arrivabene replaces Marco Mattiacci as Ferrari team principal 3
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 3
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 10
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0
- Vettel and Ricciardo to start Abu Dhabi GP from pit lane 0