Marcos Ambrose regrets Mears punch but won’t apologize

May 1, 2014, 12:54 PM EDT

Marcos Ambrose said Thursday that he regrets the punch he threw at Casey Mears, but won't apologize for the incident. (Photo: Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images) Marcos Ambrose said Thursday that he regrets the punch he threw at Casey Mears, but won't apologize for the incident. (Photo: Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

In his first public comments since last Saturday’s punch of Casey Mears and subsequent fines and penalties issued by NASCAR, Marcos Ambrose said he regrets the incident but will not apologize for it either.

“As it goes down, if I had my chance to think back about it, a wiser man would have walked away a little bit earlier and not got himself in that situation,” Ambrose said during a media event Thursday at Charlotte Motor Speedway. “I don’t apologize for my actions. I was just standing up for myself and my team and my family and letting people know that you can’t get in my private space like that and expect not to have any consequences.”

Both drivers were penalized Tuesday by NASCAR, with Ambrose receiving a higher fine ($25,000) due to his actual punching Mears, who was fined $15,000 for pushing and shoving Ambrose. Each was also placed on probation through May 28, three days after the Coca-Cola 600 race in Charlotte.

Although he drew the harsher penalty, Ambrose understood NASCAR’s side.

“I got myself in a bad situation,” Ambrose said. “I caused an action that NASCAR needed to reprimand, so I’m happy to pay it and happy to move on.

“It’s a heavy fine. That’s the biggest fine I’ve ever received in racing and I think that NASCAR needed to do something and whatever they chose to do, I’ll pay it.”

Ambrose said he’s still somewhat baffled why Mears instigated the confrontation.

“The altercation I had with Casey was quite impromptu,” Ambrose said. “As I was walking past the 13 car, as he’d finished the race, I was actually heading over to have a chat with David Gilliland just to say we’re all good after we got into each other a couple of times.

“Some words were said and I was confused about why Casey was so annoyed at me, and I think you just see a lot of the passion that the drivers have and the commitment we have to try to win these races and try to run at the front. That passion kind of got out of hand and got out of control pretty quick.”

If he had to do it all over again, Ambrose might take a different tact. But in the heat of the moment, he reacted in the way he did because he feared what Mears might do next.

“I think I’ve learned my lesson on that one,” Ambrose said. “I think next time I might scamper into the race hauler or scamper back to the plane and have a sleep on things. There’s just so much emotion. This is the first time I’ve been involved in something like this.

“At the time, even after the incident went down, I didn’t think much of it.  I just thought, ‘Well, he started pushing me around and I just had to get him away from me,’ because I didn’t know what was going to happen next. If he starts pushing me in the toolbox what happens next? Is he going to try to throw one on me?”

Ambrose even joked a bit of the response he received when he got back home afterward.

“So I was trying to get out of there and it wasn’t until a few hours later that the adrenaline starts to whoa down and you start to realize what you had done,” he said. “And then the next day when you have to talk to your kids about it and your wife is mad at you, you realize that walking away would have been a much smarter option.”

Ambrose insists he did try to walk away, but when Mears began to shove him, it didn’t leave Ambrose much choice in how to react.

“There was plenty of stuff said, but before the pushing,” Ambrose said. “He was upset and he was letting me know how upset he was. And then when I went to walk away he just couldn’t handle it any longer. As soon as he grabbed hold of me there, I knew I was going to have to get a shot in and I was just waiting for the right moment.”

Ambrose said he’s never had a physical confrontation before in his career, not even in his pre-NASCAR days in his native Australia. But he’s also willing to let bygones be bygones with Mears.

“I’m happy to move on and put the week behind us,” Ambrose said, adding that he and Mears have talked more than once since Richmond. “It’s certainly not a proud moment of mine, but I certainly don’t take anything back that I did. Casey and I spoke about it and he said, if the shoe was on the other foot he probably would have done the same thing.”

Ambrose even extended a gesture of friendship to Mears.

“I honestly believe that we’ll enjoy having a beer with each other,” he said. “I think we have a mutual respect for each other. I like Casey a lot. I didn’t have any beef with him after the race, but emotions just got out of hand and we both recognized that if we had our time again it wouldn’t happen again, but now it has, you can’t take back what has happened.

“I’ve spoken to him and I’m not carrying anything forward. He has to decide what he wants to do moving forward, but if we get ourselves in a pub somewhere I’d buy him a beer, no problem.”

Also offering his first comments on the incident, team owner Richard Petty defended his driver for essentially protecting himself.

Petty also questioned why NASCAR penalized his driver more severely than Mears, who instigated the incident by pushing and shoving Ambrose before the latter reacted in self-defense mode.

“I always look at it as you have to defend yourself no matter what the circumstances are, and that’s what I saw in the Marcos situation,” Petty said. “What provoked it? I have no idea.

“I don’t even think Marcos knows really what provoked the whole thing. But in the scheme of things, if you can’t protect yourself, then NASCAR is not going to come and protect you, so he had to do what he had to do.

“… As you can see in the tape, (Ambrose) did not initiate any of that. He was trying to get away. So I think from that standpoint, I don’t know what (NASCAR’s) rationale is. I’ll just have to talk to them and see what they come up with.”

Petty even laughed at times about the incident. When asked if he ever had any confrontations of note with other drivers during his racing career, Petty demurred.

“No comment,” he said with a laugh. “(Physical confrontations between drivers) used to go on a little bit all the time, but they didn’t have all of the TV cameras and all that stuff, so you could go around behind a truck and do what you needed to do and there wasn’t very many people who knew about it.”

When asked if he wishes Ambrose would have done things differently, Petty again replied with a laugh.

“You’ve got to defend yourself no matter what, but if he knew he was going to be fined $25,000, (Ambrose) might have let the guy (Mears) take another swing at him,” Petty said.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Verstappen “feeling fine” after heavy crash (VIDEO)

May 24, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT

Verstappen 245 Getty Images

17-year-old crashes hard in the final stages of the Monaco Grand Prix on Sunday.

2. Dale Coyne Racing crew member injured in frightening pit-lane crash

May 24, 2015, 2:28 PM EDT

Photo: INDYCAR Photo: INDYCAR

Collision in the pits involves three Dale Coyne Racing cars.

3. Castroneves leads Indy 500 at halfway mark under third round of pit stops

May 24, 2015, 1:59 PM EDT

Roger Penske, Helio Castroneves Roger Penske, Helio Castroneves

Castroneves leads at Lap 100, but Indy 500 thus far dominated by Dixon, Kanaan and Pagenaud.

4. Mercedes boss Toto Wolff apologizes to Hamilton

May 24, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT

Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team's British driver Lewis Hamilton drives at the Monaco street circuit in Monte-Carlo on May 24, 2015, during the Monaco Formula One Grand Prix. AFP PHOTO / ANDREJ ISAKOVIC        (Photo credit should read ANDREJ ISAKOVIC/AFP/Getty Images) Getty Images

An error on the pit wall cost Hamilton a near-certain victory in Sunday’s Monaco Grand Prix.

5. Hamilton: Impossible to express how I feel after Monaco defeat

May 24, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT

Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team's British driver Lewis Hamilton reacts after taking third place  on the podium after the Monaco Formula One Grand Prix on May 24, 2015, at the Monaco street circuit in Monte-Carlo. AFP PHOTO / BORIS HORVAT        (Photo credit should read BORIS HORVAT/AFP/Getty Images) Getty Images

British driver gutted to lose the Monaco Grand Prix following an error by Mercedes on the pit wall.

6. Karam, Daly out before first lap complete after separate problems in Indy 500

May 24, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT

Photo: INDYCAR Photo: INDYCAR

Karam and Daly – two of America’s young hopes – out of Indy 500, while Sato, Briscoe and Tagliani also have issues.

7. Perez hails “very important” result with P7 in Monaco

May 24, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT

Sahara Force India F1 Team's Mexican driver Sergio Perez  during the qualifying session at the Monaco street circuit in Monte-Carlo on May 23, 2015, ahead of the Monaco Formula One Grand Prix. AFP PHOTO / PHILIPPE DESMAZES        (Photo credit should read PHILIPPE DESMAZES/AFP/Getty Images) Getty Images

Force India strikes back in Monaco with Perez finishing seventh.

8. Vettel: Ferrari there when it mattered to cash in on Mercedes’ mistake

May 24, 2015, 11:43 AM EDT

MONTE-CARLO, MONACO - MAY 24:  Sebastian Vettel of Germany and Ferrari celebrates on the podium after finishing second during the Monaco Formula One Grand Prix at Circuit de Monaco on May 24, 2015 in Monte-Carlo, Monaco.  (Photo by Paul Gilham/Getty Images) Getty Images

After running in third for the majority of the Monaco Grand Prix, Sebastian Vettel managed to move up to second place thanks to Mercedes’ error with Hamilton in the pits.

9. Button picks up McLaren’s first points of the season with eighth place finish in Monaco

May 24, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT

MONTE-CARLO, MONACO - MAY 23:  Jenson Button of Great Britain and McLaren Honda drives during final practice for the Monaco Formula One Grand Prix at Circuit de Monaco on May 23, 2015 in Monte-Carlo, Monaco.  (Photo by Paul Gilham/Getty Images) Getty Images

The first points of the new McLaren-Honda era were scored on Sunday as Jenson Button finished eighth, but Fernando Alonso’s retirement slightly dampened the team’s spirits.

10. Rosberg ecstatic after lucky Monaco win, but admits Hamilton was stronger

May 24, 2015, 10:27 AM EDT

MONTE-CARLO, MONACO - MAY 24:  (L-R) Race winner Nico Rosberg of Germany and Mercedes GP and third placed Lewis Hamilton of Great Britain and Mercedes GP react on the podium following the Monaco Formula One Grand Prix at Circuit de Monaco on May 24, 2015 in Monte-Carlo, Monaco.  (Photo by Paul Gilham/Getty Images) Getty Images

Rosberg claims his third consecutive victory in Monaco after Mercedes wrongly pits Lewis Hamilton late on.

11. Rosberg lucks in to third straight Monaco GP win after Mercedes’ mistake costs Hamilton victory

May 24, 2015, 9:53 AM EDT

MONTE-CARLO, MONACO - MAY 24:  Nico Rosberg of Germany and Mercedes GP drives during the Monaco Formula One Grand Prix at Circuit de Monaco on May 24, 2015 in Monte-Carlo, Monaco.  (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images) Getty Images

Lewis Hamilton looked poised to win the race in Monaco, only for a mistake by the Mercedes team to hand victory to teammate Nico Rosberg.

12. Ryan Hunter-Reay enjoying the random moments of his Indianapolis 500 win ‘in the strangest places’

May 24, 2015, 9:09 AM EDT

Indianapolis 500 - Coors Light Carb Day Getty Images

The Andretti Autosport driver has been recognized when he least expects it since drinking the milk last season

13. What to watch for: 99th Indianapolis 500

May 24, 2015, 8:45 AM EDT

CarbDayLede Getty Images

What to watch for in the 99th running of the Indianapolis 500.

14. Starting grid for the 2015 Monaco Grand Prix

May 24, 2015, 7:30 AM EDT

© AP © AP

Lewis Hamilton will lead away the grid in Monaco ahead of Nico Rosberg and Sebastian Vettel.

15. New aero kits handling fine, if not better than expected, in Indy’s dirty air

May 24, 2015, 7:15 AM EDT

CarbDayTow Getty Images

To what effect the tow effect of the new super speedway aero kits will have on passing Sunday remains to be seen.

16. WATCH LIVE: Monaco GP Race Day on NBCSN and Live Extra from 7am, NBC from 7:30am

May 24, 2015, 6:45 AM EDT