Marcos Ambrose regrets Mears punch but won’t apologize

May 1, 2014, 12:54 PM EDT

Marcos Ambrose said Thursday that he regrets the punch he threw at Casey Mears, but won't apologize for the incident. (Photo: Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images) Marcos Ambrose said Thursday that he regrets the punch he threw at Casey Mears, but won't apologize for the incident. (Photo: Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

In his first public comments since last Saturday’s punch of Casey Mears and subsequent fines and penalties issued by NASCAR, Marcos Ambrose said he regrets the incident but will not apologize for it either.

“As it goes down, if I had my chance to think back about it, a wiser man would have walked away a little bit earlier and not got himself in that situation,” Ambrose said during a media event Thursday at Charlotte Motor Speedway. “I don’t apologize for my actions. I was just standing up for myself and my team and my family and letting people know that you can’t get in my private space like that and expect not to have any consequences.”

Both drivers were penalized Tuesday by NASCAR, with Ambrose receiving a higher fine ($25,000) due to his actual punching Mears, who was fined $15,000 for pushing and shoving Ambrose. Each was also placed on probation through May 28, three days after the Coca-Cola 600 race in Charlotte.

Although he drew the harsher penalty, Ambrose understood NASCAR’s side.

“I got myself in a bad situation,” Ambrose said. “I caused an action that NASCAR needed to reprimand, so I’m happy to pay it and happy to move on.

“It’s a heavy fine. That’s the biggest fine I’ve ever received in racing and I think that NASCAR needed to do something and whatever they chose to do, I’ll pay it.”

Ambrose said he’s still somewhat baffled why Mears instigated the confrontation.

“The altercation I had with Casey was quite impromptu,” Ambrose said. “As I was walking past the 13 car, as he’d finished the race, I was actually heading over to have a chat with David Gilliland just to say we’re all good after we got into each other a couple of times.

“Some words were said and I was confused about why Casey was so annoyed at me, and I think you just see a lot of the passion that the drivers have and the commitment we have to try to win these races and try to run at the front. That passion kind of got out of hand and got out of control pretty quick.”

If he had to do it all over again, Ambrose might take a different tact. But in the heat of the moment, he reacted in the way he did because he feared what Mears might do next.

“I think I’ve learned my lesson on that one,” Ambrose said. “I think next time I might scamper into the race hauler or scamper back to the plane and have a sleep on things. There’s just so much emotion. This is the first time I’ve been involved in something like this.

“At the time, even after the incident went down, I didn’t think much of it.  I just thought, ‘Well, he started pushing me around and I just had to get him away from me,’ because I didn’t know what was going to happen next. If he starts pushing me in the toolbox what happens next? Is he going to try to throw one on me?”

Ambrose even joked a bit of the response he received when he got back home afterward.

“So I was trying to get out of there and it wasn’t until a few hours later that the adrenaline starts to whoa down and you start to realize what you had done,” he said. “And then the next day when you have to talk to your kids about it and your wife is mad at you, you realize that walking away would have been a much smarter option.”

Ambrose insists he did try to walk away, but when Mears began to shove him, it didn’t leave Ambrose much choice in how to react.

“There was plenty of stuff said, but before the pushing,” Ambrose said. “He was upset and he was letting me know how upset he was. And then when I went to walk away he just couldn’t handle it any longer. As soon as he grabbed hold of me there, I knew I was going to have to get a shot in and I was just waiting for the right moment.”

Ambrose said he’s never had a physical confrontation before in his career, not even in his pre-NASCAR days in his native Australia. But he’s also willing to let bygones be bygones with Mears.

“I’m happy to move on and put the week behind us,” Ambrose said, adding that he and Mears have talked more than once since Richmond. “It’s certainly not a proud moment of mine, but I certainly don’t take anything back that I did. Casey and I spoke about it and he said, if the shoe was on the other foot he probably would have done the same thing.”

Ambrose even extended a gesture of friendship to Mears.

“I honestly believe that we’ll enjoy having a beer with each other,” he said. “I think we have a mutual respect for each other. I like Casey a lot. I didn’t have any beef with him after the race, but emotions just got out of hand and we both recognized that if we had our time again it wouldn’t happen again, but now it has, you can’t take back what has happened.

“I’ve spoken to him and I’m not carrying anything forward. He has to decide what he wants to do moving forward, but if we get ourselves in a pub somewhere I’d buy him a beer, no problem.”

Also offering his first comments on the incident, team owner Richard Petty defended his driver for essentially protecting himself.

Petty also questioned why NASCAR penalized his driver more severely than Mears, who instigated the incident by pushing and shoving Ambrose before the latter reacted in self-defense mode.

“I always look at it as you have to defend yourself no matter what the circumstances are, and that’s what I saw in the Marcos situation,” Petty said. “What provoked it? I have no idea.

“I don’t even think Marcos knows really what provoked the whole thing. But in the scheme of things, if you can’t protect yourself, then NASCAR is not going to come and protect you, so he had to do what he had to do.

“… As you can see in the tape, (Ambrose) did not initiate any of that. He was trying to get away. So I think from that standpoint, I don’t know what (NASCAR’s) rationale is. I’ll just have to talk to them and see what they come up with.”

Petty even laughed at times about the incident. When asked if he ever had any confrontations of note with other drivers during his racing career, Petty demurred.

“No comment,” he said with a laugh. “(Physical confrontations between drivers) used to go on a little bit all the time, but they didn’t have all of the TV cameras and all that stuff, so you could go around behind a truck and do what you needed to do and there wasn’t very many people who knew about it.”

When asked if he wishes Ambrose would have done things differently, Petty again replied with a laugh.

“You’ve got to defend yourself no matter what, but if he knew he was going to be fined $25,000, (Ambrose) might have let the guy (Mears) take another swing at him,” Petty said.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. No concerns for Mattiacci about Raikkonen and Alonso

Aug 30, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT

Spain F1 GP Auto Racing AP

Rumors about Ferrari’s line-up unfounded; Mattiacci plans to keep both Kimi and Fernando on for 2015.

2. Vettel and Ricciardo ready for challenge of Monza

Aug 30, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Hungary F1 GP Auto Racing AP

The high-speed circuit plays host to the Italian Grand Prix next weekend.

3. Kimball: “I had nowhere to go” after Aleshin accident

Aug 30, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT

CharliePostCrash Getty Images

Charlie Kimball on last night’s accident with Mikhail Aleshin.

4. After Spa’s missed opportunity, Williams must hit back at Monza

Aug 30, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

Daniel Ricciardo, Fernando Alonso AP

The fight with Ferrari is set to rage on until the end of the season.

5. Lotus finding the silver linings ahead of the F1 run-in

Aug 30, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Monaco - Practice Getty Images

Deputy team principal Federico Gastaldi is going into the Italian Grand Prix weekend with an open mind.

6. Maldonado unconcerned by changes to Parabolica at Monza

Aug 30, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT

Parabolica Getty Images

Lotus driver doesn’t think the removal of the gravel track at the corner will change a great deal.

7. Aleshin conscious following heavy accident in MAVTV 500 final practice (UPDATED, VIDEO)

Aug 29, 2014, 11:45 PM EDT

AleshinSunIMS Getty Images

Severe looking three-car accident affects Mikhail Aleshin and two others.

8. Kevin Harvick wins Atlanta Sprint Cup pole; Stewart qualifies 12th

Aug 29, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT

Oral-B USA 500 - Practice Getty Images

Harvick earns his sixth Sprint Cup pole of 2014 with the help of some advice from returning boss and teammate Tony Stewart.

9. Castroneves secures crucial MAVTV 500 pole; Power starts P21 for IndyCar finale (VIDEO)

Aug 29, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

MAVTV 500 Ð Day 1 Getty Images

Helio Castroneves on pole; Will Power struggles to P21 for Verizon IndyCar Series qualifying.

10. NASCAR: Chris Buescher, Matt Kenseth lead Nationwide practices at Atlanta

Aug 29, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT

Great Clips 300 - Practice Getty Images

The Nationwide Series rookie and Sprint Cup regular top today’s two practice sessions ahead of tomorrow night’s Great Clips 300 benefiting Feed The Children.

11. Jeff Gordon: Last 3 races weren’t the same without Tony Stewart

Aug 29, 2014, 7:06 PM EDT

(Photo: Rusty Jarrett/Getty Images for NASCAR Getty Images

HAMPTON, Ga. — According to Jeff Gordon, the last three Sprint Cup races just weren’t quite the same without Tony Stewart. Gordon is glad Stewart is back.

12. NASCAR AMERICA: Drivers discuss Stewart’s return (VIDEO)

Aug 29, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT

Tony Stewart, Kevin Harvick AP

Danica Patrick, Kevin Harvick, Jeff Gordon, Greg Biffle, Ryan Newman, and Brian Vickers share their thoughts on Tony Stewart getting back behind the wheel in Atlanta.

13. IndyCar has 500 miles to glory, through speed, dirt, tire fall off and unpredictability

Aug 29, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT

MAVTV 500 Getty Images

The 500-mile shootout may be late Saturday night in Fontana, but still promises a bevy of story lines for the Verizon IndyCar Series season finale.

14. NASCAR AMERICA: Mike Helton explains decision to make Stewart eligible for Chase (VIDEO)

Aug 29, 2014, 6:25 PM EDT

Pocono 400 - Practice Getty Images

NBCSN contributor Nate Ryan also reports on the atmosphere around Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

15. NASCAR AMERICA: Tony Stewart’s “healing process” (VIDEO)

Aug 29, 2014, 6:02 PM EDT

Tony Stewart AP

“…[Stewart] being in the race car right now is about him getting through what has been a very emotional two weeks, and what his next step is in coping with this.” – Stewart Haas Racing’s Brett Frood

16. Vickers: Last 2 races will be “a battle” for drivers not locked in Chase

Aug 29, 2014, 5:41 PM EDT

Oral-B USA 500 - Practice Getty Images

Brian Vickers and other winless drivers are facing big-time pressure to get a victory in the final races of the regular season.

17. PWC: New Porsche GT-Cup class introduced for 2015

Aug 29, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT

Photo: Pirelli World Challenge Photo: Pirelli World Challenge

Porsche GT-Cup class class to enter into Pirelli World Challenge in 2015.

18. WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET

Aug 29, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

NASCAR America

Coming up today: More on the return of Tony Stewart at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

19. Houston axed from 2015 IndyCar calendar; CTMP likely per report

Aug 29, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT

Shell Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston Getty Images

Houston gone and momentum grows for Canadian Tire Motorsport Park, if a date can be found, for IndyCar.

20. NASCAR: Tony Stewart 10th in first Cup practice at Atlanta; Edwards fastest

Aug 29, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT

Oral-B USA 500 - Practice Getty Images

Following an emotional press conference this morning, the three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion got back to work.

Video from NASCAR America