Marcos Ambrose regrets Mears punch but won’t apologize

May 1, 2014, 12:54 PM EDT

Marcos Ambrose said Thursday that he regrets the punch he threw at Casey Mears, but won't apologize for the incident. (Photo: Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images) Marcos Ambrose said Thursday that he regrets the punch he threw at Casey Mears, but won't apologize for the incident. (Photo: Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

In his first public comments since last Saturday’s punch of Casey Mears and subsequent fines and penalties issued by NASCAR, Marcos Ambrose said he regrets the incident but will not apologize for it either.

“As it goes down, if I had my chance to think back about it, a wiser man would have walked away a little bit earlier and not got himself in that situation,” Ambrose said during a media event Thursday at Charlotte Motor Speedway. “I don’t apologize for my actions. I was just standing up for myself and my team and my family and letting people know that you can’t get in my private space like that and expect not to have any consequences.”

Both drivers were penalized Tuesday by NASCAR, with Ambrose receiving a higher fine ($25,000) due to his actual punching Mears, who was fined $15,000 for pushing and shoving Ambrose. Each was also placed on probation through May 28, three days after the Coca-Cola 600 race in Charlotte.

Although he drew the harsher penalty, Ambrose understood NASCAR’s side.

“I got myself in a bad situation,” Ambrose said. “I caused an action that NASCAR needed to reprimand, so I’m happy to pay it and happy to move on.

“It’s a heavy fine. That’s the biggest fine I’ve ever received in racing and I think that NASCAR needed to do something and whatever they chose to do, I’ll pay it.”

Ambrose said he’s still somewhat baffled why Mears instigated the confrontation.

“The altercation I had with Casey was quite impromptu,” Ambrose said. “As I was walking past the 13 car, as he’d finished the race, I was actually heading over to have a chat with David Gilliland just to say we’re all good after we got into each other a couple of times.

“Some words were said and I was confused about why Casey was so annoyed at me, and I think you just see a lot of the passion that the drivers have and the commitment we have to try to win these races and try to run at the front. That passion kind of got out of hand and got out of control pretty quick.”

If he had to do it all over again, Ambrose might take a different tact. But in the heat of the moment, he reacted in the way he did because he feared what Mears might do next.

“I think I’ve learned my lesson on that one,” Ambrose said. “I think next time I might scamper into the race hauler or scamper back to the plane and have a sleep on things. There’s just so much emotion. This is the first time I’ve been involved in something like this.

“At the time, even after the incident went down, I didn’t think much of it.  I just thought, ‘Well, he started pushing me around and I just had to get him away from me,’ because I didn’t know what was going to happen next. If he starts pushing me in the toolbox what happens next? Is he going to try to throw one on me?”

Ambrose even joked a bit of the response he received when he got back home afterward.

“So I was trying to get out of there and it wasn’t until a few hours later that the adrenaline starts to whoa down and you start to realize what you had done,” he said. “And then the next day when you have to talk to your kids about it and your wife is mad at you, you realize that walking away would have been a much smarter option.”

Ambrose insists he did try to walk away, but when Mears began to shove him, it didn’t leave Ambrose much choice in how to react.

“There was plenty of stuff said, but before the pushing,” Ambrose said. “He was upset and he was letting me know how upset he was. And then when I went to walk away he just couldn’t handle it any longer. As soon as he grabbed hold of me there, I knew I was going to have to get a shot in and I was just waiting for the right moment.”

Ambrose said he’s never had a physical confrontation before in his career, not even in his pre-NASCAR days in his native Australia. But he’s also willing to let bygones be bygones with Mears.

“I’m happy to move on and put the week behind us,” Ambrose said, adding that he and Mears have talked more than once since Richmond. “It’s certainly not a proud moment of mine, but I certainly don’t take anything back that I did. Casey and I spoke about it and he said, if the shoe was on the other foot he probably would have done the same thing.”

Ambrose even extended a gesture of friendship to Mears.

“I honestly believe that we’ll enjoy having a beer with each other,” he said. “I think we have a mutual respect for each other. I like Casey a lot. I didn’t have any beef with him after the race, but emotions just got out of hand and we both recognized that if we had our time again it wouldn’t happen again, but now it has, you can’t take back what has happened.

“I’ve spoken to him and I’m not carrying anything forward. He has to decide what he wants to do moving forward, but if we get ourselves in a pub somewhere I’d buy him a beer, no problem.”

Also offering his first comments on the incident, team owner Richard Petty defended his driver for essentially protecting himself.

Petty also questioned why NASCAR penalized his driver more severely than Mears, who instigated the incident by pushing and shoving Ambrose before the latter reacted in self-defense mode.

“I always look at it as you have to defend yourself no matter what the circumstances are, and that’s what I saw in the Marcos situation,” Petty said. “What provoked it? I have no idea.

“I don’t even think Marcos knows really what provoked the whole thing. But in the scheme of things, if you can’t protect yourself, then NASCAR is not going to come and protect you, so he had to do what he had to do.

“… As you can see in the tape, (Ambrose) did not initiate any of that. He was trying to get away. So I think from that standpoint, I don’t know what (NASCAR’s) rationale is. I’ll just have to talk to them and see what they come up with.”

Petty even laughed at times about the incident. When asked if he ever had any confrontations of note with other drivers during his racing career, Petty demurred.

“No comment,” he said with a laugh. “(Physical confrontations between drivers) used to go on a little bit all the time, but they didn’t have all of the TV cameras and all that stuff, so you could go around behind a truck and do what you needed to do and there wasn’t very many people who knew about it.”

When asked if he wishes Ambrose would have done things differently, Petty again replied with a laugh.

“You’ve got to defend yourself no matter what, but if he knew he was going to be fined $25,000, (Ambrose) might have let the guy (Mears) take another swing at him,” Petty said.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. NASCAR AMERICA: Friday Round-Up (VIDEO)

Aug 1, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT

NASCAR America

Will the 11 team adapt to interim crew chief Mike Wheeler? Plus, Kyle Petty shares his Victory Lane predictions for Sunday’s GoBowling.com 400 at Pocono.

2. Will Kahne be able once again at Pocono? (VIDEO)

Aug 1, 2014, 6:12 PM EDT

GoBowling.com 400 - Practice Getty Images

One year ago, Kahne effectively put himself into the Chase with a win at Pocono. Another win on Sunday at the Tricky Triangle could do it again.

3. Kyle Larson bags first career Sprint Cup pole at Pocono

Aug 1, 2014, 5:12 PM EDT

GoBowling.com 400 - Practice Getty Images

Is his first career Sprint Cup win not too far off? Larson’s lap of 183.438 mph is enough to earn pole position for Sunday’s GoBowling.com 400.

4. WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET

Aug 1, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT

NASCAR America

Coming up today: Kasey Kahne on his hunt for a Chase-clinching win; expectations for Denny Hamlin’s interim crew chief; Dale Jr. and IndyCar’s Graham Rahal visit National Guard soldiers; the many nuances of Pocono Raceway; Ty Dillon looks back on an extraordinary weekend at Indy.

5. NASCAR: Kyle Larson, Timothy Peters tops in Pocono Truck practice

Aug 1, 2014, 3:43 PM EDT

Kyle Larson AP

Larson and Peters go 1-2 in the first Truck practice, then flip-flop in the second practice at Pocono.

6. NASCAR AMERICA Minute: What makes Pocono unique? (VIDEO)

Aug 1, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Pocono 400 Getty Images

Former Pocono winner Kyle Petty explains the aspects that set Pocono apart from the rest of NASCAR’s tracks.

7. Bourdais on top in second IndyCar practice

Aug 1, 2014, 3:10 PM EDT

Sebastien Bourdais AP

Toronto winner leads second practice for the Verizon IndyCar Series on Friday.

8. Kenseth: Not having crew chief at track is like “missing your head coach”

Aug 1, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT

Crown Royal Presents The John Wayne Walding 400 - Practice Getty Images

Kenseth’s teammate, Denny Hamlin, does not have regular crew chief Darian Grubb behind him this weekend, as Grubb has begun serving his six-race suspension.

9. F1 2014 mid-season report: The story so far and the story to come

Aug 1, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT

Austria F1 GP Auto Racing AP

In the final part of our 2014 mid-season review, we look at the storylines that have defined the season so far and take a look at what we may be talking about come the end of the year.

10. Dale Jr., Johnson looking forward to working with Greg Ives in 2015

Aug 1, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT

GregIvesCrop Getty Images

Ives has won multiple Sprint Cup titles as an engineer for Jimmie Johnson, but will be making his Cup debut as a crew chief when he joins forces with Dale Earnhardt Jr. next season.

11. Study: NASCAR drivers, CEOs share similar talents

Aug 1, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT

nascarlogo

NASCAR drivers are known for trading paint, spinning out rivals and are seemingly always ready for a fight. And those are just some of the same elements that NASCAR drivers share with CEO’s of some of the best middle-market companies, according to a new story.

12. NASCAR: Kurt Busch tops Friday Cup practice at Pocono

Aug 1, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT

Crown Royal Presents The John Wayne Walding 400 - Practice Getty Images

Busch posts a lap of 180.353 mph around the 2.5-mile Tricky Triangle.

13. JTG Daugherty creates new ‘rewards program’ for fans

Aug 1, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

jtg daugherty logo

Much like a frequent flier or frequent hotel guest program, JTG Daugherty has created the first ‘rewards program’ for fans to earn awards and prizes using engagement with the team and its sponsors through social media.

14. F1 2014 mid-season report: Grading the drivers so far

Aug 1, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Hungary Getty Images

In part two of our mid-season report, we look at the drivers: who has excelled and who has floundered in 2014?

15. Chip Ganassi to be honored for achievements in his racing career

Aug 1, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT

ToyotaCare 250 Getty Images

Multi-motorsports team owner Chip Ganassi will be honored August 7 in Corning, N.Y., for more than a quarter-century of contributions to the auto racing world.

16. Austin Dillon goes from hot asphalt to cold steel on ice

Aug 1, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT

Jeff Foxworthy's Grit Chips 300 - Qualifying Getty Images

Austin Dillon isn’t skating through his rookie season in Sprint Cup. Everything he achieves, he earns. But Dillon did try skating of a different kind and took to it like a natural.

17. Hunter-Reay fastest in first IndyCar practice at Mid-Ohio

Aug 1, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT

Iowa Corn Indy 300 - Day 1 Getty Images

The American goes P1 with a lap of 1 minute, 6.5316 seconds in the No. 28 Andretti Autosport Honda.

18. F1 2014 mid-season report: Grading the teams so far

Aug 1, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Monaco Getty Images

We grade the eleven teams for their seasons so far as F1 embarks on its summer break.

19. Poll: Would you like to see timed races in NASCAR?

Aug 1, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT

Would you like to see the Daytona 500 become the 3.5 Hours of Daytona? Take our poll below on whether NASCAR should consider switching to timed races. Would you like to see the Daytona 500 become the 3.5 Hours of Daytona? Take our poll below on whether NASCAR should consider switching to timed races.

Should NASCAR consider shifting to a format that features timed races instead of hundreds of miles or laps? Let’s get your take in our poll.

20. Massa expecting strong second half of 2014 for Williams

Aug 1, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

Felipe Massa AP

Brazilian driver confident that tracks such as Spa, Monza and the Circuit of the Americas will suit the FW36 car.