Marcos Ambrose regrets Mears punch but won’t apologize

May 1, 2014, 12:54 PM EDT

Marcos Ambrose said Thursday that he regrets the punch he threw at Casey Mears, but won't apologize for the incident. (Photo: Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images) Marcos Ambrose said Thursday that he regrets the punch he threw at Casey Mears, but won't apologize for the incident. (Photo: Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

In his first public comments since last Saturday’s punch of Casey Mears and subsequent fines and penalties issued by NASCAR, Marcos Ambrose said he regrets the incident but will not apologize for it either.

“As it goes down, if I had my chance to think back about it, a wiser man would have walked away a little bit earlier and not got himself in that situation,” Ambrose said during a media event Thursday at Charlotte Motor Speedway. “I don’t apologize for my actions. I was just standing up for myself and my team and my family and letting people know that you can’t get in my private space like that and expect not to have any consequences.”

Both drivers were penalized Tuesday by NASCAR, with Ambrose receiving a higher fine ($25,000) due to his actual punching Mears, who was fined $15,000 for pushing and shoving Ambrose. Each was also placed on probation through May 28, three days after the Coca-Cola 600 race in Charlotte.

Although he drew the harsher penalty, Ambrose understood NASCAR’s side.

“I got myself in a bad situation,” Ambrose said. “I caused an action that NASCAR needed to reprimand, so I’m happy to pay it and happy to move on.

“It’s a heavy fine. That’s the biggest fine I’ve ever received in racing and I think that NASCAR needed to do something and whatever they chose to do, I’ll pay it.”

Ambrose said he’s still somewhat baffled why Mears instigated the confrontation.

“The altercation I had with Casey was quite impromptu,” Ambrose said. “As I was walking past the 13 car, as he’d finished the race, I was actually heading over to have a chat with David Gilliland just to say we’re all good after we got into each other a couple of times.

“Some words were said and I was confused about why Casey was so annoyed at me, and I think you just see a lot of the passion that the drivers have and the commitment we have to try to win these races and try to run at the front. That passion kind of got out of hand and got out of control pretty quick.”

If he had to do it all over again, Ambrose might take a different tact. But in the heat of the moment, he reacted in the way he did because he feared what Mears might do next.

“I think I’ve learned my lesson on that one,” Ambrose said. “I think next time I might scamper into the race hauler or scamper back to the plane and have a sleep on things. There’s just so much emotion. This is the first time I’ve been involved in something like this.

“At the time, even after the incident went down, I didn’t think much of it.  I just thought, ‘Well, he started pushing me around and I just had to get him away from me,’ because I didn’t know what was going to happen next. If he starts pushing me in the toolbox what happens next? Is he going to try to throw one on me?”

Ambrose even joked a bit of the response he received when he got back home afterward.

“So I was trying to get out of there and it wasn’t until a few hours later that the adrenaline starts to whoa down and you start to realize what you had done,” he said. “And then the next day when you have to talk to your kids about it and your wife is mad at you, you realize that walking away would have been a much smarter option.”

Ambrose insists he did try to walk away, but when Mears began to shove him, it didn’t leave Ambrose much choice in how to react.

“There was plenty of stuff said, but before the pushing,” Ambrose said. “He was upset and he was letting me know how upset he was. And then when I went to walk away he just couldn’t handle it any longer. As soon as he grabbed hold of me there, I knew I was going to have to get a shot in and I was just waiting for the right moment.”

Ambrose said he’s never had a physical confrontation before in his career, not even in his pre-NASCAR days in his native Australia. But he’s also willing to let bygones be bygones with Mears.

“I’m happy to move on and put the week behind us,” Ambrose said, adding that he and Mears have talked more than once since Richmond. “It’s certainly not a proud moment of mine, but I certainly don’t take anything back that I did. Casey and I spoke about it and he said, if the shoe was on the other foot he probably would have done the same thing.”

Ambrose even extended a gesture of friendship to Mears.

“I honestly believe that we’ll enjoy having a beer with each other,” he said. “I think we have a mutual respect for each other. I like Casey a lot. I didn’t have any beef with him after the race, but emotions just got out of hand and we both recognized that if we had our time again it wouldn’t happen again, but now it has, you can’t take back what has happened.

“I’ve spoken to him and I’m not carrying anything forward. He has to decide what he wants to do moving forward, but if we get ourselves in a pub somewhere I’d buy him a beer, no problem.”

Also offering his first comments on the incident, team owner Richard Petty defended his driver for essentially protecting himself.

Petty also questioned why NASCAR penalized his driver more severely than Mears, who instigated the incident by pushing and shoving Ambrose before the latter reacted in self-defense mode.

“I always look at it as you have to defend yourself no matter what the circumstances are, and that’s what I saw in the Marcos situation,” Petty said. “What provoked it? I have no idea.

“I don’t even think Marcos knows really what provoked the whole thing. But in the scheme of things, if you can’t protect yourself, then NASCAR is not going to come and protect you, so he had to do what he had to do.

“… As you can see in the tape, (Ambrose) did not initiate any of that. He was trying to get away. So I think from that standpoint, I don’t know what (NASCAR’s) rationale is. I’ll just have to talk to them and see what they come up with.”

Petty even laughed at times about the incident. When asked if he ever had any confrontations of note with other drivers during his racing career, Petty demurred.

“No comment,” he said with a laugh. “(Physical confrontations between drivers) used to go on a little bit all the time, but they didn’t have all of the TV cameras and all that stuff, so you could go around behind a truck and do what you needed to do and there wasn’t very many people who knew about it.”

When asked if he wishes Ambrose would have done things differently, Petty again replied with a laugh.

“You’ve got to defend yourself no matter what, but if he knew he was going to be fined $25,000, (Ambrose) might have let the guy (Mears) take another swing at him,” Petty said.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Ever wonder what Dale Jr., Danica, and others would look like as Boris Said?

Sep 18, 2014, 9:21 PM EDT

(Image courtesy FoxSports.com's Shake and Bake) (Image courtesy FoxSports.com's Shake and Bake)

While Boris Said was getting ready for this weekend’s IMSA Tudor Championship event at Circuit of the America’s in Austin, Texas, it’s noteworthy to mention that Thursday was his 52nd birthday.

2. Michael Waltrip challenges Dale Jr. to go Dancing With The Stars

Sep 18, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT

(Courtesy Dancing With The Stars) (Courtesy Dancing With The Stars)

Michael Waltrip took a big step when he agreed to compete on Season 19 of “Dancing With the Stars.” Now, Waltrip has gone and put his foot in his mouth by trying to kick Dale Earnhardt Jr. in the behind, so to speak.

3. Phoenix track bringing in more muscle for Chase race: UFC legend Chuck Liddell

Sep 18, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT

Chuck Liddell (Photo courtesy UFC) Chuck Liddell (Photo courtesy UFC)

Given how important – and potentially how wild – the ninth and next-to-last race of the Chase for the Sprint Cup will be, Phoenix International Raceway is calling in some extra muscle for drivers who may potentially get out of hand.

4. Report: NASCAR’s top 9 richest teams worth a collective $1.25 billion

Sep 18, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT

(Jared C. Tilton/Getty Images) Getty Images

Owning a NASCAR team is like being a contestant on Wheel of Fortune, they both answer to “Big money, big money.”

5. NASCAR America video: How New England is helping NASCAR grow

Sep 18, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT

nhms logo 2014

New Hampshire is one of four New England states to host a NASCAR event and is huge to the racing community in the area. Having four tracks that far North allowed the sport to grow from its southern roots.

6. NASCAR America video: Roush Fenway Racing not competing up to team standards in Chase?

Sep 18, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT

((AP Photo/The Charlotte Observer, Jeff Siner) AP

On Thursday’s edition of NASCAR America, analysts Parker Kligerman and Frank Stoddard are split when it comes to the Roush Fenway Racing team. Looking to the Chase, Frank predicts a top 10 finish for Greg Biffle or Carl Edwards, but Parker is less confident.

7. NASCAR America video: What Chase driver outside the top 12 can still advance?

Sep 18, 2014, 6:12 PM EDT

(Photo: Sean Gardner/Getty Images) Getty Images

On Thursday’s edition of NASCAR America, analysts Frank Stoddard and Parker Kligerman both agreed that Ryan Newman is the driver just below the cutoff line with the best chance of moving on in the Chase.

8. Report: Why Mark Martin wasn’t able to serve as driving coach for Danica Patrick this season

Sep 18, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT

(Photo: Robert Laberge/Getty Images) Getty Images

NASCAR legend Mark Martin was slated to be a driving coach for Danica Patrick in 2014. Now, in an interview with NASCAR Illustrated, we learn what happened.

9. Flagman struck, killed by race truck at Florida short track

Sep 18, 2014, 5:16 PM EDT

(Image courtesy Bronson Speedway) (Image courtesy Bronson Speedway)

A flagman officiating a race at Bronson Speedway in Archer, Fla., was killed in a racing accident at the track this past Sunday.

10. WATCH LIVE: NASCAR America at 5 pm ET — Harvick, Biffle, Edwards, New Hampshire racing history

Sep 18, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT

140918-NASCAR-AMERICA

Today’s NASCAR America includes two teams in different directions as we prepare for the second race of the Chase for the Sprint Cup. Things are looking up for Kevin Harvick’s team, while there’s concern that Carl Edwards and Greg Biffle may not get past the first round of eliminations.

11. NASCAR legend Mark Martin to serve as grand marshal for unique St. Patrick’s Day parade

Sep 18, 2014, 3:01 PM EDT

(Photo: Todd Warshaw/Getty Images) Getty Images

Mark Martin has received numerous honors in his racing career, but this one could be one of the most unique that will ever be bestowed upon him. Martin will return to his native Arkansas next March to serve as grand marshal for the “2015 World’s Shortest St. Patrick’s Day Parade.”

12. IndyCar: Brasilia, Brazil race confirmed for March 8, 2015

Sep 18, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

Sao Paulo Indy 300 - Day 3 Getty Images

IndyCar confirms return to Brazil as first 2015 international race.

13. Jeff Gordon to set significant milestone Sunday at New Hampshire

Sep 18, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

jeff gordon 2014 atlanta1 Getty Images

Jeff Gordon will set a significant milestone in this Sunday’s second race of the Chase for the Sprint Cup at New Hampshire Motor Speedway.

14. 8Star closing on Indy Lights confirmation with Sean Rayhall as one driver

Sep 18, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT

Photo: Getty Images Getty Images

8Star Motorsports’ intentions of joining the Indy Lights grid for 2015 are close to becoming a reality.

15. Ecclestone: Drivers wanted radio ban

Sep 18, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Germany Getty Images

FIA could be forced to backtrack on plans for this weekend, though.

16. F1’s Modern Wonder: Under the lights, Singapore shines brightly

Sep 18, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Singapore - Previews Getty Images

F1 is renowned for being exuberant and exotic. No event screams it more than the Singapore Grand Prix.

17. Sochi Autodrom gears up for Russian GP in three weeks’ time (VIDEO)

Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Sochi Olympics AP

Everything is in place for the first Russian Grand Prix in 100 years to take place on October 12th.

18. 12 MAXSpeed/Rotax finalists named for USF2000 test

Sep 18, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT

MazdaRoadToIndy

Twelve finalists named in USF2000 seat shootout.

19. Massa not giving up on runner-up spot in constructors’ championship

Sep 18, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

Italy F1 GP Auto Racing AP

Massa believes that Williams should be aiming to beat Red Bull despite trailing by almost 100 points in the constructors’ championship.

20. Red Bull GRC: Andretti Autosport premieres Beetle in LA

Sep 18, 2014, 9:27 AM EDT

Photo: Andretti Autosport Photo: Andretti Autosport

The Volkswagen Beetle makes its debut at the LA doubleheader round this weekend.

Video from NASCAR America