Marcos Ambrose regrets Mears punch but won’t apologize

May 1, 2014, 12:54 PM EDT

Marcos Ambrose said Thursday that he regrets the punch he threw at Casey Mears, but won't apologize for the incident. (Photo: Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images) Marcos Ambrose said Thursday that he regrets the punch he threw at Casey Mears, but won't apologize for the incident. (Photo: Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

In his first public comments since last Saturday’s punch of Casey Mears and subsequent fines and penalties issued by NASCAR, Marcos Ambrose said he regrets the incident but will not apologize for it either.

“As it goes down, if I had my chance to think back about it, a wiser man would have walked away a little bit earlier and not got himself in that situation,” Ambrose said during a media event Thursday at Charlotte Motor Speedway. “I don’t apologize for my actions. I was just standing up for myself and my team and my family and letting people know that you can’t get in my private space like that and expect not to have any consequences.”

Both drivers were penalized Tuesday by NASCAR, with Ambrose receiving a higher fine ($25,000) due to his actual punching Mears, who was fined $15,000 for pushing and shoving Ambrose. Each was also placed on probation through May 28, three days after the Coca-Cola 600 race in Charlotte.

Although he drew the harsher penalty, Ambrose understood NASCAR’s side.

“I got myself in a bad situation,” Ambrose said. “I caused an action that NASCAR needed to reprimand, so I’m happy to pay it and happy to move on.

“It’s a heavy fine. That’s the biggest fine I’ve ever received in racing and I think that NASCAR needed to do something and whatever they chose to do, I’ll pay it.”

Ambrose said he’s still somewhat baffled why Mears instigated the confrontation.

“The altercation I had with Casey was quite impromptu,” Ambrose said. “As I was walking past the 13 car, as he’d finished the race, I was actually heading over to have a chat with David Gilliland just to say we’re all good after we got into each other a couple of times.

“Some words were said and I was confused about why Casey was so annoyed at me, and I think you just see a lot of the passion that the drivers have and the commitment we have to try to win these races and try to run at the front. That passion kind of got out of hand and got out of control pretty quick.”

If he had to do it all over again, Ambrose might take a different tact. But in the heat of the moment, he reacted in the way he did because he feared what Mears might do next.

“I think I’ve learned my lesson on that one,” Ambrose said. “I think next time I might scamper into the race hauler or scamper back to the plane and have a sleep on things. There’s just so much emotion. This is the first time I’ve been involved in something like this.

“At the time, even after the incident went down, I didn’t think much of it.  I just thought, ‘Well, he started pushing me around and I just had to get him away from me,’ because I didn’t know what was going to happen next. If he starts pushing me in the toolbox what happens next? Is he going to try to throw one on me?”

Ambrose even joked a bit of the response he received when he got back home afterward.

“So I was trying to get out of there and it wasn’t until a few hours later that the adrenaline starts to whoa down and you start to realize what you had done,” he said. “And then the next day when you have to talk to your kids about it and your wife is mad at you, you realize that walking away would have been a much smarter option.”

Ambrose insists he did try to walk away, but when Mears began to shove him, it didn’t leave Ambrose much choice in how to react.

“There was plenty of stuff said, but before the pushing,” Ambrose said. “He was upset and he was letting me know how upset he was. And then when I went to walk away he just couldn’t handle it any longer. As soon as he grabbed hold of me there, I knew I was going to have to get a shot in and I was just waiting for the right moment.”

Ambrose said he’s never had a physical confrontation before in his career, not even in his pre-NASCAR days in his native Australia. But he’s also willing to let bygones be bygones with Mears.

“I’m happy to move on and put the week behind us,” Ambrose said, adding that he and Mears have talked more than once since Richmond. “It’s certainly not a proud moment of mine, but I certainly don’t take anything back that I did. Casey and I spoke about it and he said, if the shoe was on the other foot he probably would have done the same thing.”

Ambrose even extended a gesture of friendship to Mears.

“I honestly believe that we’ll enjoy having a beer with each other,” he said. “I think we have a mutual respect for each other. I like Casey a lot. I didn’t have any beef with him after the race, but emotions just got out of hand and we both recognized that if we had our time again it wouldn’t happen again, but now it has, you can’t take back what has happened.

“I’ve spoken to him and I’m not carrying anything forward. He has to decide what he wants to do moving forward, but if we get ourselves in a pub somewhere I’d buy him a beer, no problem.”

Also offering his first comments on the incident, team owner Richard Petty defended his driver for essentially protecting himself.

Petty also questioned why NASCAR penalized his driver more severely than Mears, who instigated the incident by pushing and shoving Ambrose before the latter reacted in self-defense mode.

“I always look at it as you have to defend yourself no matter what the circumstances are, and that’s what I saw in the Marcos situation,” Petty said. “What provoked it? I have no idea.

“I don’t even think Marcos knows really what provoked the whole thing. But in the scheme of things, if you can’t protect yourself, then NASCAR is not going to come and protect you, so he had to do what he had to do.

“… As you can see in the tape, (Ambrose) did not initiate any of that. He was trying to get away. So I think from that standpoint, I don’t know what (NASCAR’s) rationale is. I’ll just have to talk to them and see what they come up with.”

Petty even laughed at times about the incident. When asked if he ever had any confrontations of note with other drivers during his racing career, Petty demurred.

“No comment,” he said with a laugh. “(Physical confrontations between drivers) used to go on a little bit all the time, but they didn’t have all of the TV cameras and all that stuff, so you could go around behind a truck and do what you needed to do and there wasn’t very many people who knew about it.”

When asked if he wishes Ambrose would have done things differently, Petty again replied with a laugh.

“You’ve got to defend yourself no matter what, but if he knew he was going to be fined $25,000, (Ambrose) might have let the guy (Mears) take another swing at him,” Petty said.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil

Oct 24, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT

Caterham Getty Images

Bernie Ecclestone allows the team to miss the next two races as it searches for a buyer.

2. Lotus close to confirming Romain Grosjean for 2015

Oct 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

Canadian F1 Grand Prix - Practice Getty Images

Deputy team boss Federico Gastaldi says the team is close to finalizing its drive line-up, with Grosjean in pole position for the seat.

3. Matt Kenseth looking for “career highlight” win this weekend at Martinsville

Oct 24, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT

GEICO 500 - Qualifying Getty Images

A win for Kenseth this Sunday would also put him into the Sprint Cup Championship Race at Homestead next month.

4. Emerson Fittipaldi to be in attendance at Austin for fan event

Oct 24, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT

2013 Laureus World Sports Awards Nominations Getty Images

Two-time Formula One World Champion Emerson Fittipaldi will make an appearance at Austin’s Circuit of the Americas next week as part of a COTA fan experience.

5. Ricciardo: United States GP my favorite race of the season

Oct 24, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Russia - Previews Getty Images

Ricciardo full of praise for Austin and the Circuit of the Americas ahead of next weekend’s race.

6. The man behind the sculptures: William Behrends’ presence endures for Borg-Warner Trophy, and Giants legends

Oct 24, 2014, 11:09 AM EDT

Photos courtesy Steve Shunck Photos courtesy Steve Shunck

Statues outside AT&T Park and the faces on the Borg-Warner Trophy share a common thread, in sculptor William Behrends.

7. Schumacher’s doctor notes progress, but calls for patience

Oct 24, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT

File photo of Schumacher looking on during the qualifying session for the Italian F1 Grand Prix race at the Monza racetrack in Monza Reuters

Dr. Jean-Francois Payen says that he has noticed some progress in Schumacher’s recovery.

8. Esteban Ocon enjoys ‘exceptional’ F1 test for Lotus

Oct 24, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

© Lotus F1 Team © Lotus F1 Team

Sauber also complete a test in Spain with Adderly Fong and Roy Nissany.

9. Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’

Oct 24, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT

Spanish Formula One Grand Prix: Qualifying Getty Images

Just like Arrows and Super Aguri before it, Caterham is on its last legs. However, it is going out in far less dignified fashion.

10. Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team

Oct 24, 2014, 7:26 AM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-F1-BELGIUM-SPA-PRACTICE Getty Images

Finnbarr O’Connell is now in charge at Leafield as the team prepares for a race against time to make the United States GP in Austin next weekend.

11. Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday

Oct 23, 2014, 11:02 PM EDT

(Image courtesy Hendrick Motorsports) (Image courtesy Hendrick Motorsports)

This is a column that should never have been written, about an event that never should have happened.

12. Kentucky native Jack Roush to be inducted into state’s Motorsports Hall of Fame

Oct 23, 2014, 8:24 PM EDT

(Doug Pensinger/Getty Images) Getty Images

Legendary motorsports team owner and innovator — and Kentucky native — Jack Roush will be inducted this Saturday into the Kentucky Motorsports Hall of Fame. Roush was born in Covington, Ky.

13. NASCAR America: Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports plane crash

Oct 23, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT

(Courtesy Hendrick Motorsports) (Courtesy Hendrick Motorsports)

On Thursday’s edition of NASCAR America, Kyle Petty joined Dave Briggs to mark the 10-year anniversary of the Hendrick Motorsports plane crash and how the team recovered from it.

14. Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months

Oct 23, 2014, 7:37 PM EDT

(Photo courtesy Lincoln, Ala. Police Department) (Photo courtesy Lincoln, Ala. Police Department)

For the second time in 18 months, police in the area of Talladega Superspeedway are investigating the disappearance of a race fan who had intended to go to the Sprint Cup race at the 2.66-mile racetrack.

15. Enrique Contreras III, nephew of Carlos Contreras, to make first NASCAR truck race start at Martinsville

Oct 23, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT

(Photo credit: Enrique Contreras III) (Photo credit: Enrique Contreras III)

Enrique Contreras III, nephew of veteran Mexican racer Carlos Contreras, will make his NASCAR debut in Saturday’s Camping World Truck Race at Martinsville Speedway.

16. PWC: GTSport to continue two-car Cayman GTS effort

Oct 23, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

Photo: GTSport Racing Photo: GTSport Racing

GTSport Racing returns with Jack Baldwin and Buz McCall.

17. WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET for Martinsville outlook

Oct 23, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT

141023-nascar-america

Martinsville preview on tap in Thursday’s NASCAR AMERICA.

18. Caterham could miss Austin as crisis deepens at Leafield

Oct 23, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT

Spanish F1 Grand Prix - Qualifying Getty Images

Fernandes claims he didn’t receive full payment for Caterham, the new owners claim they haven’t received their shares, Bernie Ecclestone says he is trying to remedy the situation – but all the while, workers are locked out of the factory, putting the team’s hopes of making Austin in doubt.

19. South Point, Gaughan to return with RCR to NASCAR XFINITY in 2015

Oct 23, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT

Ollie's Bargain Outlet 250 - Qualifying Getty Images

Brendan Gaughan back for another year with RCR in XFINITY.

Video from NASCAR America