Marcos Ambrose regrets Mears punch but won’t apologize

May 1, 2014, 12:54 PM EDT

Marcos Ambrose said Thursday that he regrets the punch he threw at Casey Mears, but won't apologize for the incident. (Photo: Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images) Marcos Ambrose said Thursday that he regrets the punch he threw at Casey Mears, but won't apologize for the incident. (Photo: Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

In his first public comments since last Saturday’s punch of Casey Mears and subsequent fines and penalties issued by NASCAR, Marcos Ambrose said he regrets the incident but will not apologize for it either.

“As it goes down, if I had my chance to think back about it, a wiser man would have walked away a little bit earlier and not got himself in that situation,” Ambrose said during a media event Thursday at Charlotte Motor Speedway. “I don’t apologize for my actions. I was just standing up for myself and my team and my family and letting people know that you can’t get in my private space like that and expect not to have any consequences.”

Both drivers were penalized Tuesday by NASCAR, with Ambrose receiving a higher fine ($25,000) due to his actual punching Mears, who was fined $15,000 for pushing and shoving Ambrose. Each was also placed on probation through May 28, three days after the Coca-Cola 600 race in Charlotte.

Although he drew the harsher penalty, Ambrose understood NASCAR’s side.

“I got myself in a bad situation,” Ambrose said. “I caused an action that NASCAR needed to reprimand, so I’m happy to pay it and happy to move on.

“It’s a heavy fine. That’s the biggest fine I’ve ever received in racing and I think that NASCAR needed to do something and whatever they chose to do, I’ll pay it.”

Ambrose said he’s still somewhat baffled why Mears instigated the confrontation.

“The altercation I had with Casey was quite impromptu,” Ambrose said. “As I was walking past the 13 car, as he’d finished the race, I was actually heading over to have a chat with David Gilliland just to say we’re all good after we got into each other a couple of times.

“Some words were said and I was confused about why Casey was so annoyed at me, and I think you just see a lot of the passion that the drivers have and the commitment we have to try to win these races and try to run at the front. That passion kind of got out of hand and got out of control pretty quick.”

If he had to do it all over again, Ambrose might take a different tact. But in the heat of the moment, he reacted in the way he did because he feared what Mears might do next.

“I think I’ve learned my lesson on that one,” Ambrose said. “I think next time I might scamper into the race hauler or scamper back to the plane and have a sleep on things. There’s just so much emotion. This is the first time I’ve been involved in something like this.

“At the time, even after the incident went down, I didn’t think much of it.  I just thought, ‘Well, he started pushing me around and I just had to get him away from me,’ because I didn’t know what was going to happen next. If he starts pushing me in the toolbox what happens next? Is he going to try to throw one on me?”

Ambrose even joked a bit of the response he received when he got back home afterward.

“So I was trying to get out of there and it wasn’t until a few hours later that the adrenaline starts to whoa down and you start to realize what you had done,” he said. “And then the next day when you have to talk to your kids about it and your wife is mad at you, you realize that walking away would have been a much smarter option.”

Ambrose insists he did try to walk away, but when Mears began to shove him, it didn’t leave Ambrose much choice in how to react.

“There was plenty of stuff said, but before the pushing,” Ambrose said. “He was upset and he was letting me know how upset he was. And then when I went to walk away he just couldn’t handle it any longer. As soon as he grabbed hold of me there, I knew I was going to have to get a shot in and I was just waiting for the right moment.”

Ambrose said he’s never had a physical confrontation before in his career, not even in his pre-NASCAR days in his native Australia. But he’s also willing to let bygones be bygones with Mears.

“I’m happy to move on and put the week behind us,” Ambrose said, adding that he and Mears have talked more than once since Richmond. “It’s certainly not a proud moment of mine, but I certainly don’t take anything back that I did. Casey and I spoke about it and he said, if the shoe was on the other foot he probably would have done the same thing.”

Ambrose even extended a gesture of friendship to Mears.

“I honestly believe that we’ll enjoy having a beer with each other,” he said. “I think we have a mutual respect for each other. I like Casey a lot. I didn’t have any beef with him after the race, but emotions just got out of hand and we both recognized that if we had our time again it wouldn’t happen again, but now it has, you can’t take back what has happened.

“I’ve spoken to him and I’m not carrying anything forward. He has to decide what he wants to do moving forward, but if we get ourselves in a pub somewhere I’d buy him a beer, no problem.”

Also offering his first comments on the incident, team owner Richard Petty defended his driver for essentially protecting himself.

Petty also questioned why NASCAR penalized his driver more severely than Mears, who instigated the incident by pushing and shoving Ambrose before the latter reacted in self-defense mode.

“I always look at it as you have to defend yourself no matter what the circumstances are, and that’s what I saw in the Marcos situation,” Petty said. “What provoked it? I have no idea.

“I don’t even think Marcos knows really what provoked the whole thing. But in the scheme of things, if you can’t protect yourself, then NASCAR is not going to come and protect you, so he had to do what he had to do.

“… As you can see in the tape, (Ambrose) did not initiate any of that. He was trying to get away. So I think from that standpoint, I don’t know what (NASCAR’s) rationale is. I’ll just have to talk to them and see what they come up with.”

Petty even laughed at times about the incident. When asked if he ever had any confrontations of note with other drivers during his racing career, Petty demurred.

“No comment,” he said with a laugh. “(Physical confrontations between drivers) used to go on a little bit all the time, but they didn’t have all of the TV cameras and all that stuff, so you could go around behind a truck and do what you needed to do and there wasn’t very many people who knew about it.”

When asked if he wishes Ambrose would have done things differently, Petty again replied with a laugh.

“You’ve got to defend yourself no matter what, but if he knew he was going to be fined $25,000, (Ambrose) might have let the guy (Mears) take another swing at him,” Petty said.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO)

Sep 30, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

Coca-Cola 600 - Practice Getty Images

“Driver 88″ discusses his performance issues in the Challenger Round with NASCAR AMERICA’s Rick Allen.

2. NASCAR AMERICA: The strategy of the Contender Round (VIDEO)

Sep 30, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT

Federated Auto Parts 400 Getty Images

How do you prepare for two races and then a free-for-all at Talladega? Rick Allen and Kyle Petty of NASCAR AMERICA discuss.

3. NASCAR: Nationwide Series crewman suspended for violating substance abuse policy

Sep 30, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT

nationwideserieslogo

Also: Crew chief in same series fined, put on probation for car weight issue from last weekend at Dover.

4. F1: 3rd-place battle between Williams and Ferrari heads for Suzuka

Sep 30, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT

Valtteri Bottas, Kimi Raikkonen AP

Williams’ gap on Ferrari for third in the Constructors’ Championship is down to nine points going into this weekend’s Japanese Grand Prix.

5. WATCH LIVE: Dale Earnhardt Jr. talks Contender Round on NASCAR AMERICA

Sep 30, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT

AAA 400 - Qualifying Getty Images

Also coming up today: A closer look at the Contender Round tracks and who’s been successful at them; Joe Gibbs Racing focusing on continued momentum at Kansas; more radio goodness with the Dover Chase edition of “Scan All 43.”

6. IndyCar Driver Review: Mikhail Aleshin

Sep 30, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT

AleshinSunIMS Getty Images

Sixteenth in the 2014 IndyCar season was rookie Mikhail Aleshin, ever the fighter.

7. Formula E CEO Agag hopeful for several motor/battery manufacturers in 2015-16

Sep 30, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT

Photo courtesy FIA Formula E Photo courtesy FIA Formula E

Agag hopes for “three or four different makers of motors and batteries” during F-E’s second season.

8. IndyCar Driver Review: Justin Wilson

Sep 30, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT

JWilFinal2014 Getty Images

P15 caps a difficult IndyCar season for Justin Wilson and Dale Coyne Racing.

9. NASCAR: Corey Lajoie set for four-race run in No. 98 Nationwide Series car

Sep 30, 2014, 2:47 PM EDT

Sylvania 300 - Qualifying Getty Images

The son of two-time Nationwide Series champion Randy Lajoie will race the upcoming NNS events at Kansas, Charlotte, Texas, and Homestead.

10. IndyCar Driver Review: Charlie Kimball

Sep 30, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT

Shell Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston - Day 3 Getty Images

Charlie Kimball fights through an OK, but often challenging, 2014 season en route to P14 into the IndyCar standings.

11. NASCAR: Roster set for October’s Drive for Diversity combine

Sep 30, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT

nascar logo 2014 Getty Images

20 multicultural and female drivers from across the U.S., Canada, Mexico, and South America will seek to earn a spot in the D4D’s Class of 2015.

12. IndyCar: James Hinchcliffe presides over Charlie Kimball’s wedding

Sep 30, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT

Hinchcliffe Getty Images

“The Mayor” has now apparently become The Minister.

13. IndyCar: Penske drivers off to Verizon HQ; CFH ones to Mid-Ohio today

Sep 30, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT

MAVTV 500 Getty Images

A busy day for members of two IndyCar teams, as Penske and CFH drivers head to New Jersey and Mid-Ohio, respectively.

14. It’s been two years since Kobayashi’s Suzuka podium with Sauber (VIDEO)

Sep 30, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Brazil - Previews Getty Images

Two years ago, Kamui Kobayashi stood on an F1 podium in his home country, with Sauber. It seems so long ago, now.

15. Stats of note heading into Suzuka

Sep 30, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

Sebastian Vettel AP

Some of the stats of note as we head into the Japanese Grand Prix.

16. IndyCar: What’s Honda’s next move, driver-wise?

Sep 30, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Honda Indy Toronto - Day 1 Getty Images

Honda has Ryan Hunter-Reay, but losing Simon Pagenaud and Josef Newgarden are big blows from marketing and on-track standpoints.

17. NASCAR AMERICA: Tony Stewart still shaken following fatal crash (VIDEO)

Sep 29, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT

Tony Stewart Press Conference Getty Images

More comments from Stewart’s press conference on Monday in North Carolina.

18. NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO)

Sep 29, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT

AAA 400 Getty Images

Instead of racing to protect his position in the Chase, Jeff Gordon went into attack mode Sunday at Dover – and it paid off with a win. Check out his Victory Lane interview with NASCAR AMERICA’s Kelli Stavast here.

19. Everything you need to know about the 2014 Chasers at Kansas

Sep 29, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT

Kevin Harvick AP

All the notes and numbers to keep in mind as the Contender Round begins on Kansas’ 1.5-mile oval.

20. WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA recaps Dover, Tony Stewart presser at 7 p.m. ET

Sep 29, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT

AAA 400 Getty Images

Coming up: Highlights from the first cut race of the Chase; reports on Kevin Harvick’s tire failure and Hendrick Motorsports; Tony Stewart speaks about trying to carry on after his involvement in a fatal sprint car accident.

Video from NASCAR America

Gordon: Win was great team statement
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches