Marcos Ambrose regrets Mears punch but won’t apologize

May 1, 2014, 12:54 PM EDT

Marcos Ambrose said Thursday that he regrets the punch he threw at Casey Mears, but won't apologize for the incident. (Photo: Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images) Marcos Ambrose said Thursday that he regrets the punch he threw at Casey Mears, but won't apologize for the incident. (Photo: Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

In his first public comments since last Saturday’s punch of Casey Mears and subsequent fines and penalties issued by NASCAR, Marcos Ambrose said he regrets the incident but will not apologize for it either.

“As it goes down, if I had my chance to think back about it, a wiser man would have walked away a little bit earlier and not got himself in that situation,” Ambrose said during a media event Thursday at Charlotte Motor Speedway. “I don’t apologize for my actions. I was just standing up for myself and my team and my family and letting people know that you can’t get in my private space like that and expect not to have any consequences.”

Both drivers were penalized Tuesday by NASCAR, with Ambrose receiving a higher fine ($25,000) due to his actual punching Mears, who was fined $15,000 for pushing and shoving Ambrose. Each was also placed on probation through May 28, three days after the Coca-Cola 600 race in Charlotte.

Although he drew the harsher penalty, Ambrose understood NASCAR’s side.

“I got myself in a bad situation,” Ambrose said. “I caused an action that NASCAR needed to reprimand, so I’m happy to pay it and happy to move on.

“It’s a heavy fine. That’s the biggest fine I’ve ever received in racing and I think that NASCAR needed to do something and whatever they chose to do, I’ll pay it.”

Ambrose said he’s still somewhat baffled why Mears instigated the confrontation.

“The altercation I had with Casey was quite impromptu,” Ambrose said. “As I was walking past the 13 car, as he’d finished the race, I was actually heading over to have a chat with David Gilliland just to say we’re all good after we got into each other a couple of times.

“Some words were said and I was confused about why Casey was so annoyed at me, and I think you just see a lot of the passion that the drivers have and the commitment we have to try to win these races and try to run at the front. That passion kind of got out of hand and got out of control pretty quick.”

If he had to do it all over again, Ambrose might take a different tact. But in the heat of the moment, he reacted in the way he did because he feared what Mears might do next.

“I think I’ve learned my lesson on that one,” Ambrose said. “I think next time I might scamper into the race hauler or scamper back to the plane and have a sleep on things. There’s just so much emotion. This is the first time I’ve been involved in something like this.

“At the time, even after the incident went down, I didn’t think much of it.  I just thought, ‘Well, he started pushing me around and I just had to get him away from me,’ because I didn’t know what was going to happen next. If he starts pushing me in the toolbox what happens next? Is he going to try to throw one on me?”

Ambrose even joked a bit of the response he received when he got back home afterward.

“So I was trying to get out of there and it wasn’t until a few hours later that the adrenaline starts to whoa down and you start to realize what you had done,” he said. “And then the next day when you have to talk to your kids about it and your wife is mad at you, you realize that walking away would have been a much smarter option.”

Ambrose insists he did try to walk away, but when Mears began to shove him, it didn’t leave Ambrose much choice in how to react.

“There was plenty of stuff said, but before the pushing,” Ambrose said. “He was upset and he was letting me know how upset he was. And then when I went to walk away he just couldn’t handle it any longer. As soon as he grabbed hold of me there, I knew I was going to have to get a shot in and I was just waiting for the right moment.”

Ambrose said he’s never had a physical confrontation before in his career, not even in his pre-NASCAR days in his native Australia. But he’s also willing to let bygones be bygones with Mears.

“I’m happy to move on and put the week behind us,” Ambrose said, adding that he and Mears have talked more than once since Richmond. “It’s certainly not a proud moment of mine, but I certainly don’t take anything back that I did. Casey and I spoke about it and he said, if the shoe was on the other foot he probably would have done the same thing.”

Ambrose even extended a gesture of friendship to Mears.

“I honestly believe that we’ll enjoy having a beer with each other,” he said. “I think we have a mutual respect for each other. I like Casey a lot. I didn’t have any beef with him after the race, but emotions just got out of hand and we both recognized that if we had our time again it wouldn’t happen again, but now it has, you can’t take back what has happened.

“I’ve spoken to him and I’m not carrying anything forward. He has to decide what he wants to do moving forward, but if we get ourselves in a pub somewhere I’d buy him a beer, no problem.”

Also offering his first comments on the incident, team owner Richard Petty defended his driver for essentially protecting himself.

Petty also questioned why NASCAR penalized his driver more severely than Mears, who instigated the incident by pushing and shoving Ambrose before the latter reacted in self-defense mode.

“I always look at it as you have to defend yourself no matter what the circumstances are, and that’s what I saw in the Marcos situation,” Petty said. “What provoked it? I have no idea.

“I don’t even think Marcos knows really what provoked the whole thing. But in the scheme of things, if you can’t protect yourself, then NASCAR is not going to come and protect you, so he had to do what he had to do.

“… As you can see in the tape, (Ambrose) did not initiate any of that. He was trying to get away. So I think from that standpoint, I don’t know what (NASCAR’s) rationale is. I’ll just have to talk to them and see what they come up with.”

Petty even laughed at times about the incident. When asked if he ever had any confrontations of note with other drivers during his racing career, Petty demurred.

“No comment,” he said with a laugh. “(Physical confrontations between drivers) used to go on a little bit all the time, but they didn’t have all of the TV cameras and all that stuff, so you could go around behind a truck and do what you needed to do and there wasn’t very many people who knew about it.”

When asked if he wishes Ambrose would have done things differently, Petty again replied with a laugh.

“You’ve got to defend yourself no matter what, but if he knew he was going to be fined $25,000, (Ambrose) might have let the guy (Mears) take another swing at him,” Petty said.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Wolff: Losing teams the brutal reality of F1

Nov 1, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Singapore - Practice Getty Images

Mercedes team boss says that the loss of Caterham and Marussia is the brutal economic reality of F1, but believes a short-term plan is needed to ensure the sport stays healthy.

2. Big Time Bash, Twitter takeover make for a busy Thursday for NBCSN’s Will Buxton

Nov 1, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of USA - Qualifying Getty Images

A busy Thursday leading into the U.S. GP with Will Buxton’s third annual Big Time Bash, and an afternoon takeover of NBC F1 Twitter feed.

3. VIDEO: Gene Haas on entering Formula 1 in 2016

Nov 1, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Gene Haas Formula One Press Conference Getty Images

NBCSN’s Steve Matchett chats with Gene Haas about his plans for joining the Formula 1 circus in 2016.

4. NHRA: John Force rolls to No. 1 Funny Car qualifier in first race without former crew chief Jimmy Prock

Nov 1, 2014, 12:23 AM EDT

(AP Photo/NHRA, Marc Gewertz) AP

In his first race without crew chief Jimmy Prock, defending Funny Car champ John Force didn’t appear worse for the wear, grabbing the provisional No. 1 qualifying spot in the NHRA Toyota Nationals in Las Vegas.

5. Kyle Busch roars back to win Truck race at Texas; Matt Crafton gets closer to clinching championship

Oct 31, 2014, 11:45 PM EDT

(Sean Gardner/Getty Images for Texas Motor Speedway) Getty Images

Kyle Busch rallied from ninth place with five laps left in regulation time, then roared up through the pack and “set sail” to a green-white-checker victory in the Truck Series race Friday night at Texas Motor Speedway.

6. NHRA: John Force to announce new sponsor Saturday, new manufacturer Tuesday

Oct 31, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT

(Jason Merritt/Getty Images) Getty Images

16-time NHRA Funny Car champ John Force will make a major sponsorship announcement Saturday in Las Vegas, and is expected to follow that up Tuesday with what major auto manufacturer he’ll be aligned with in 2015.

7. Matt Kenseth still remorseful over Martinsville wreck with Kevin Harvick (UPDATED)

Oct 31, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT

Goody's Headache Relief Shot 500 - Qualifying Getty Images

Kenseth says the only way he’d feel a little better about it is if Harvick manages to make the Championship Race.

8. Tony Stewart sets fastest qualifying speed ever on 1.5-mile track (200.111 mph), but Matt Kenseth wins pole at Texas

Oct 31, 2014, 8:17 PM EDT

(FILE: Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images) Getty Images

Matt Kenseth won the pole Friday at Texas Motor Speedway, but Tony Stewart lived up to his nickname and smoked the field with the fastest qualifying speed ever on a 1.5-mile track.

9. United States GP Paddock Notebook – Friday

Oct 31, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

Sebastian Vettel AP

Complete with news and analysis, here is all of the action from the COTA paddock on practice day for the United States Grand Prix.

10. Rossi: American support will get me to F1 (VIDEO)

Oct 31, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Russia - Practice Getty Images

Speaking to NBCSN’s Will Buxton, America’s great F1 hopeful speaks about recent events at Marussia and his hopes for the future.

11. Austin FP2: View from the ground

Oct 31, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT

COTAwide AP

An on-the-ground perspective of the speed, sound and crowd from Austin second practice.

12. Racing legend Dan Gurney earns one of rarest and most prestigious awards for lifetime achievements (video)

Oct 31, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT

(Courtesy The Henry Ford) (Courtesy The Henry Ford)

Very few race car drivers deserve to be called “legendary.” Dan Gurney is most definitely one of those, and was honored this week with the Edison-Ford Medal for his incomparable lifetime achievements.

13. Verstappen impressive once again in second F1 run-out

Oct 31, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-F1-US-PRACTICE Getty Images

17-year-old Toro Rosso driver continues to prove that age is simply a number in racing.

14. Austin Dillon hasn’t forgotten how to wheel an NNS car, is fastest in final practice at Texas

Oct 31, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT

(Todd Warshaw/Getty Images for Texas Motor Speedway) Getty Images

Austin Dillon was the fastest driver in Friday’s final Nationwide Series practice at Texas Motor Speedway. The defending NNS champ who is now in his rookie season in Sprint Cup, Dillon is making his first NNS start this season in Saturday’s race.

15. Kurt Busch is acting a little (candy) corny this Halloween (VIDEO)

Oct 31, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT

(Photo: Jason Miller/Getty Images) Getty Images

The Outlaw attempts the “Candy Corn Challenge” – fitting 100 pieces inside his mouth.

16. Alonso’s ambition continues to leave the Formula 1 paddock guessing

Oct 31, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT

Fernando Alonso AP

Is there more to Fernando’s future than just McLaren?

17. Caterham administrators in talks with possible new buyers

Oct 31, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Italy - Practice Getty Images

Administrators still hoping to get the team racing in Abu Dhabi, but will aim for the grid in 2015 if this is not possible.

18. Tyler Reddick picks up Texas pole for tonight’s NASCAR Trucks race

Oct 31, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT

WinStar World Casino & Resort 350 - Practice Getty Images

Reddick captures his second Truck pole in the last three races.

19. Hamilton inches away from Rosberg to top FP2 at COTA

Oct 31, 2014, 4:32 PM EDT

Lewis Hamilton AP

British driver finishes just 0.003 seconds ahead of Rosberg in FP2, equating to just 6.7 inches around the Circuit of The Americas in Austin, Texas.

Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches