Marcos Ambrose regrets Mears punch but won’t apologize

May 1, 2014, 12:54 PM EST

Marcos Ambrose said Thursday that he regrets the punch he threw at Casey Mears, but won't apologize for the incident. (Photo: Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images) Marcos Ambrose said Thursday that he regrets the punch he threw at Casey Mears, but won't apologize for the incident. (Photo: Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

In his first public comments since last Saturday’s punch of Casey Mears and subsequent fines and penalties issued by NASCAR, Marcos Ambrose said he regrets the incident but will not apologize for it either.

“As it goes down, if I had my chance to think back about it, a wiser man would have walked away a little bit earlier and not got himself in that situation,” Ambrose said during a media event Thursday at Charlotte Motor Speedway. “I don’t apologize for my actions. I was just standing up for myself and my team and my family and letting people know that you can’t get in my private space like that and expect not to have any consequences.”

Both drivers were penalized Tuesday by NASCAR, with Ambrose receiving a higher fine ($25,000) due to his actual punching Mears, who was fined $15,000 for pushing and shoving Ambrose. Each was also placed on probation through May 28, three days after the Coca-Cola 600 race in Charlotte.

Although he drew the harsher penalty, Ambrose understood NASCAR’s side.

“I got myself in a bad situation,” Ambrose said. “I caused an action that NASCAR needed to reprimand, so I’m happy to pay it and happy to move on.

“It’s a heavy fine. That’s the biggest fine I’ve ever received in racing and I think that NASCAR needed to do something and whatever they chose to do, I’ll pay it.”

Ambrose said he’s still somewhat baffled why Mears instigated the confrontation.

“The altercation I had with Casey was quite impromptu,” Ambrose said. “As I was walking past the 13 car, as he’d finished the race, I was actually heading over to have a chat with David Gilliland just to say we’re all good after we got into each other a couple of times.

“Some words were said and I was confused about why Casey was so annoyed at me, and I think you just see a lot of the passion that the drivers have and the commitment we have to try to win these races and try to run at the front. That passion kind of got out of hand and got out of control pretty quick.”

If he had to do it all over again, Ambrose might take a different tact. But in the heat of the moment, he reacted in the way he did because he feared what Mears might do next.

“I think I’ve learned my lesson on that one,” Ambrose said. “I think next time I might scamper into the race hauler or scamper back to the plane and have a sleep on things. There’s just so much emotion. This is the first time I’ve been involved in something like this.

“At the time, even after the incident went down, I didn’t think much of it.  I just thought, ‘Well, he started pushing me around and I just had to get him away from me,’ because I didn’t know what was going to happen next. If he starts pushing me in the toolbox what happens next? Is he going to try to throw one on me?”

Ambrose even joked a bit of the response he received when he got back home afterward.

“So I was trying to get out of there and it wasn’t until a few hours later that the adrenaline starts to whoa down and you start to realize what you had done,” he said. “And then the next day when you have to talk to your kids about it and your wife is mad at you, you realize that walking away would have been a much smarter option.”

Ambrose insists he did try to walk away, but when Mears began to shove him, it didn’t leave Ambrose much choice in how to react.

“There was plenty of stuff said, but before the pushing,” Ambrose said. “He was upset and he was letting me know how upset he was. And then when I went to walk away he just couldn’t handle it any longer. As soon as he grabbed hold of me there, I knew I was going to have to get a shot in and I was just waiting for the right moment.”

Ambrose said he’s never had a physical confrontation before in his career, not even in his pre-NASCAR days in his native Australia. But he’s also willing to let bygones be bygones with Mears.

“I’m happy to move on and put the week behind us,” Ambrose said, adding that he and Mears have talked more than once since Richmond. “It’s certainly not a proud moment of mine, but I certainly don’t take anything back that I did. Casey and I spoke about it and he said, if the shoe was on the other foot he probably would have done the same thing.”

Ambrose even extended a gesture of friendship to Mears.

“I honestly believe that we’ll enjoy having a beer with each other,” he said. “I think we have a mutual respect for each other. I like Casey a lot. I didn’t have any beef with him after the race, but emotions just got out of hand and we both recognized that if we had our time again it wouldn’t happen again, but now it has, you can’t take back what has happened.

“I’ve spoken to him and I’m not carrying anything forward. He has to decide what he wants to do moving forward, but if we get ourselves in a pub somewhere I’d buy him a beer, no problem.”

Also offering his first comments on the incident, team owner Richard Petty defended his driver for essentially protecting himself.

Petty also questioned why NASCAR penalized his driver more severely than Mears, who instigated the incident by pushing and shoving Ambrose before the latter reacted in self-defense mode.

“I always look at it as you have to defend yourself no matter what the circumstances are, and that’s what I saw in the Marcos situation,” Petty said. “What provoked it? I have no idea.

“I don’t even think Marcos knows really what provoked the whole thing. But in the scheme of things, if you can’t protect yourself, then NASCAR is not going to come and protect you, so he had to do what he had to do.

“… As you can see in the tape, (Ambrose) did not initiate any of that. He was trying to get away. So I think from that standpoint, I don’t know what (NASCAR’s) rationale is. I’ll just have to talk to them and see what they come up with.”

Petty even laughed at times about the incident. When asked if he ever had any confrontations of note with other drivers during his racing career, Petty demurred.

“No comment,” he said with a laugh. “(Physical confrontations between drivers) used to go on a little bit all the time, but they didn’t have all of the TV cameras and all that stuff, so you could go around behind a truck and do what you needed to do and there wasn’t very many people who knew about it.”

When asked if he wishes Ambrose would have done things differently, Petty again replied with a laugh.

“You’ve got to defend yourself no matter what, but if he knew he was going to be fined $25,000, (Ambrose) might have let the guy (Mears) take another swing at him,” Petty said.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Bowyer on Gordon: “You’re never good with somebody when it got that ugly”

Jan 27, 2015, 11:22 AM EST

Clint Bowyer, Jeff Gordon Clint Bowyer, Jeff Gordon

Clint Bowyer said of his relationship with Jeff Gordon: “You’re never good with somebody when it got that ugly.”

2. International Speedway Corp. shows strong revenue growth in 2014

Jan 27, 2015, 11:22 AM EST

ISC logo

NASCAR’s parent company, International Speedway Corporation, showed healthy growth in both the fourth quarter of 2014, as well as for the overall 2014 fiscal year, it was announced Tuesday.

3. NASCAR: Brian Vickers glad to look ahead to racing again after heart surgery

Jan 27, 2015, 10:59 AM EST

Quicken Loans Race for Heroes 500 - Qualifying Getty Images

Vickers will be back in the No. 55 Michael Waltrip Racing Toyota at Las Vegas in March.

4. NASCAR: Brett Moffitt to drive Brian Vickers’ No. 55 car at Atlanta

Jan 27, 2015, 10:00 AM EST

Quicken Loans 400 - Qualifying Getty Images

MWR test driver will compete in Vickers’ car at the second race of the 2015 Sprint Cup season.

5. NASCAR considers unveiling 2016 rules at Sprint All-Star Race in May

Jan 26, 2015, 8:45 PM EST

NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race

NASCAR heavily is considering using the May 16 showcase as a trial run of the rules package for the 2016 season and has begun informing Sprint Cup teams of the possibility.

6. Indy Lights: Spencer Pigot, Ed Jones top 1st day of Homestead road course test

Jan 26, 2015, 8:33 PM EST

IndyLightsLogo

Quick recap for Day 1 of 3 in South Florida for the Indy Lights contingent.

7. Kyle Busch says Toyota teams are “idiots” by not working close together

Jan 26, 2015, 8:06 PM EST

34th Annual Budweiser Shootout at Daytona Getty Images

Kyle Busch say that he doesn’t see Toyota partners Joe Gibbs Racing and Michael Waltrip Racing working closely together and that “we’re idiots” for not doing so.

8. Kyle Busch has a message for those confusing him with his brother

Jan 26, 2015, 7:04 PM EST

Kyle Busch Kyle Busch

Kyle Busch is not pleased with those who have confused him with his brother in reporting on Kurt Busch’s recent court matter.

9. NASCAR: Joe Gibbs Racing prepares for new era as 4-car team (VIDEO)

Jan 26, 2015, 6:05 PM EST

NASCAR Sprint Media Tour  - Day 1 Getty Images

Will its expansion help or hurt its hopes of a Sprint Cup title?

10. Cast your vote: Which Joe Gibbs Racing driver will have the best season in 2015?

Jan 26, 2015, 4:54 PM EST

Joe Gibbs Racing's roster for 2015 (from left): Denny Hamlin, Matt Kenseth, Carl Edwards, Xfinity Series driver Daniel Suarez and Kyle Busch. AP

Which Joe Gibbs Racing driver will have the best season in 2015? Newcomer Carl Edwards, or Matt Kenseth, or JGR stalwarts Kyle Busch or Denny Hamlin?

11. Brian France: State of NASCAR is in a good place and getting better

Jan 26, 2015, 4:38 PM EST

bzf media day 2015 Getty Images

After last year’s exciting Chase for the Sprint Cup, NASCAR chairman Brian France painted a very positive state of the sport Monday. There are still challenges, but NASCAR is working at fixing those.

12. NASCAR not looking to expand four-car limit for teams

Jan 26, 2015, 4:05 PM EST

Brian France News Conference Brian France News Conference

NASCAR Chairman Brian France says series officials are not looking to eliminate the four-car limit for teams.

13. NASCAR: No early exit expected for title sponsor Sprint

Jan 26, 2015, 3:58 PM EST

Sprint All-Star Race Getty Images

The wireless communications company already has announced its departure after the end of its contract in 2016

14. NASCAR: Drive For Diversity class of ’15 announced; update on Daytona Rising

Jan 26, 2015, 3:30 PM EST

nascar logo 2014 Getty Images

Devon Amos, Jay Beasley, Collin Cabre, Natalie Decker, Kenzie Ruston, and Dylan Smith part of this year’s D4D program; an update on Daytona Rising renovation project.

15. Hendrick Motorsports pit coach leaves sport

Jan 26, 2015, 3:22 PM EST

Dale Earnhardt Jr. Dale Earnhardt Jr.

Greg Morin, a pit coach overseeing the crews of Jimmie Johnson and Dale Earnhardt Jr., is leaving his position after January.

16. NASCAR outlaws the practice of flared fender side skirts

Jan 26, 2015, 3:08 PM EST

NASCAR Executive Vice President Steve O'Donnell Getty Images

NASCAR has outlawed the practice of teams manipulating — or flaring out — of rear side skirts to produce an aerodynamic advantage.

17. F1: Bottas, then Massa in new Williams FW37 at Jerez test

Jan 26, 2015, 1:25 PM EST

F1 Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi Getty Images

The Grove gang reveals its lineup for the first F1 preseason test of 2015.

18. NASCAR: GameStop in for 10 races on Erik Jones’ XFINITY ride with Gibbs

Jan 26, 2015, 12:00 PM EST

DAV 200 - Honoring America's Veterans Getty Images

Video game retail company continues support of Joe Gibbs Racing’s XFINITY Series program.

19. F1: Ferrari reveals official name for 2015 car – the SF15-T

Jan 26, 2015, 11:30 AM EST

Italy F1 Ferrari Vettel AP

Official launch of the new car is set for Friday.

20. NASCAR Hall of Famer Dale Jarrett to join NASCAR coverage on NBC, NBCSN

Jan 26, 2015, 11:09 AM EST

Dale Jarrett Getty 2014 Getty Images

NASCAR Hall of Famer Dale Jarrett will join NBC and NBCSN’s coverage of NASCAR in 2015, it was announced Monday.

Video from NASCAR America

Joe Gibbs is ecstatic about Carl Edwards
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches
  1. J. Gordon (2124)
  2. K. Schrader (1726)
  3. J. Clements (1683)
  4. K. Grala (1650)
  5. S. Gallagher (1606)
  1. R. Hornaday Jr. (1549)
  2. M. Lira (1534)