May 2, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
Former Indiana Republican governor Mitch Daniels, now the president at Purdue University, has become a member of the Board of Directors for Hulman & Co., which oversees INDYCAR and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Daniels served two terms as the Hoosier State’s governor before taking over as Purdue’s 12th president in school history following the end of his term in January of 2013.
“I spent many a Memorial Day weekend at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway growing up in Indianapolis, and there’s no more iconic racing facility in the world,” Daniels said in a statement released by IMS.
“Anything a Hoosier can do to help this priceless state asset, he should do. The connection between Purdue and Hulman & Company is already strong and this new relationship will take us even further.”
Purdue has a heavy involvement in Indiana’s motorsports industry. Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) offers bachelor’s degrees in motorsports engineering, and IMS and Purdue have worked together on multiple initiatives from STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) education projects to gate entry plans for the Speedway’s major events.
“We’re honored that Mitch has agreed to serve with us during this period of renewed focus on economic development and infrastructure improvement,” said Hulman board member Andre Lacy in his own thoughts.
“We are positioned for growth in our business units like no time in our history, and Mitch’s business acumen and understanding of the heritage of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway are tremendous assets.”
Daniels waved the green flag to start the 2012 Indianapolis 500.
- Montoya fastest on opening day of Indianapolis 500 practice 0
- Indy 500 refresher running, RoP gets underway today at IMS 0
- Chevrolet reveals its super speedway aero kit 2
- ARCA driver Brad Smith recovering from ankle surgery after Talladega wreck 0
- 21 years after his death, the legacy of Ayrton Senna burns as brightly as ever 2
- Honda reveals its super speedway aero kit Thursday at IMS (VIDEO) 9
- Ed Carpenter talks Newgarden’s win and preparing for superspeedway aero kit at Indy 4