May 2, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
A pair of Fords led the way in final practice for Sunday’s NASCAR Sprint Cup Aaron’s 499 at Talladega Superspeedway, as Trevor Bayne followed up leading yesterday’s first Nationwide practice by topping today’s Cup “Happy Hour” with a lap of 199.015 mph.
Following him in second was Carl Edwards, who posted a lap of 198.965 mph – .012 of a second off of Bayne’s best.
Tony Stewart was the fastest Chevrolet driver in the session and posted the third-quickest lap of 198.912 mph. In fourth was the fastest Toyota man in Kyle Busch at 198.516 mph, and Kurt Busch was P5 (198.413) in his Chevy.
The Busch brothers got in extensive work on the 2.66-mile oval during “Happy Hour,” with Kurt logging 29 circuits and Kyle turning in 28.
However, Chevy continues to have the power in numbers, as seven drivers in their ranks situated themselves within the Top 10. Kasey Kahne, Danica Patrick, Jeff Gordon, Dale Earnhardt Jr., and Jimmie Johnson rounded out that particular bracket.
Meanwhile, Martin Truex Jr. – who led this afternoon’s first Cup practice – did not post a lap in the No. 78 Furniture Row Chevrolet, seemingly content that he’ll have a piece worthy of gaining the pole in tomorrow’s much-anticipated knockout qualifying session.
Perhaps he decided to spend the rest of his Friday at a nearby fishing hole? At least that’s what his brother and Sprint Cup rookie, Ryan, indicated in a tweet after the first session:
Qualifying for the Aaron’s 499 is scheduled for tomorrow shortly after 1 p.m. ET.
- DiZinno: Daytona fence crash ripple effect could extend to other motorsports 5
- Ten with Townsend: Red Bull GRC 4 races in, post-MCAS New River 0
- Smiling Through the Rain: Silverstone proved that it isn’t all doom and gloom in F1 2
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 2
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 1