May 3, 2014, 12:25 PM EST
David Ragan and Front Row Motorsports delivered the most stunning result of the 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup season one year ago at Talladega Superspeedway, when Ragan led teammate David Gilliland to a 1-2 finish.
This year, repeating that feat would put Ragan in the Chase for the Sprint Cup thanks to the new format that allows drivers to effectively make the post-season with a victory.
Yesterday, Ragan was upfront about FRM’s chances, saying that “we are not a Chase contender, we’re a wild card contender.” But he recognizes the opportunity that has emerged in 2014 for FRM and other small teams.
“We are not consistent enough to win several races [or] click off five or six top-10s in a row and we realize that,” he said. “But what NASCAR has done has given us a chance to be in the Chase for the championship and that would really change the course of Front Row Motorsports and what we’re trying to achieve as a team and personally as a driver.”
Altogether, he expects to see a surprise regular season winner or two that perhaps may not be able to truly contend in the Chase but can at least get into it and raise their team’s status like Kurt Busch did with Furniture Row Racing last year.
With the “Outlaw” in the cockpit, FRR shook its also-ran status and became the only single-car team to ever make the Chase since its inception in 2004 (Busch is now at Stewart-Haas Racing, while FRR’s running with Martin Truex Jr.)
Ragan sees several competitors that could help their team follow FRR’s lead.
“I think you look at AJ Allmendinger, Casey Mears – they’ve been running a lot better this year – even look at the Petty cars, Marcos Ambrose and Aric Almirola – they are not consistent enough to make the Chase in the old format,” he said. “I think they would admit that too.
“Look at our team, you look at Tommy Baldwin’s guys, Reed Sorenson had a shot to win the Daytona 500 this year. Yes, there will be one, maybe two cars, that will benefit from the new changes and will make the Chase, absolutely.”
- Manor Marussia F1 confirms trip to Melbourne 3
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 2
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 2
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3