May 3, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
With the 24 Hours of Le Mans coming up, Toyota Racing has now opened the 2014 FIA World Endurance Championship season with back-to-back wins after its No. 8 TS040 Hybrid emerged victorious in the Six Hours of Spa-Francorchamps.
Nicolas Lapierre, Anthony Davidson, and Sebastien Buemi took the No. 8 to a 1 minute, 13-second win over Audi’s No. 1 R18 e-tron quattro of Lucas di Grassi, Loic Duval, and Tom Kristensen.
During the second hour of the race, Buemi was able to pull away from the No. 14 Porsche 919 Hybrid after a round of pit stops.
From there, both Porsche 919s would find problems later in the race. The No. 14, with Romain Dumas behind the wheel, suffered an electrical issue that forced him to run two slow laps before he could reset the car from the cockpit. Still, that car was able to soldier on to a fourth-place finish.
As for the No. 20 919 Hybrid, it sustained a broken rear damper and, later, a broken front driveshaft. It would spend an extended period in the garage before returning to the track late with Mark Webber at the controls.
G-Drive Racing also earned its second consecutive win in the LMP2 category with Olivier Pla, Roman Rusinov, and Julien Canal having a clear run to the win in their No. 26 Morgan-Nissan.
Ferrari and AF Corse enjoyed a sweep in the GTE categories, with the No. 51 458 Italia (Gianmaria Bruni and Toni Vilander) winning in GTE-Pro and the No. 61 458 (Marco Cioci, Mirko Venturi and Luis Perez Companc) winning in GTE-Am.
AF Corse narrowly missed a 1-2 finish in Pro when Patrick Pilet managed to wrestle second away late in his No. 91 Team Manthey Porsche 911. Davide Rigon wound up third in his Corse Ferrari.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 2
- Kevin Harvick riled at Tony Stewart portrayal in Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy 76
- Like a good stew, 2015 Sprint Cup schedule and new Chase format need time to simmer for best taste 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: How did the 2015 schedule come together? (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR announces 2015 Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Truck Series schedules (VIDEO) 4
- FIA won’t punish Nico Rosberg after Belgian GP incident with Lewis Hamilton 11
- Will Power once again in position for IndyCar title – but this time feels different 1