May 3, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT
After being forced to retire from the Chinese Grand Prix when points appeared to be on the cards, Romain Grosjean is confident that Lotus can continue its rapid progress to finally get on the scoreboard at the Spanish Grand Prix next weekend.
The team has been playing catch-up ever since missing the first pre-season test, but in China, Grosjean came close to scoring some points only for a gearbox problem to end his race prematurely. Nevertheless, he still took the positives out of the weekend.
“The gearbox problem was obviously a big disappointment,” he conceded. “But the overall picture for the whole weekend was 90% positive. We didn’t get a reward at the end, but we know we made a step in the right direction with the car.”
Teammate Pastor Maldonado has boldly set his sights on a top five finish in Spain, and although Grosjean is being more cautious about his chances, he too is focusing on a big step forwards with the car.
“I think it is getting there,” he said. “It is still not as good as we believe it can be. The aim in Barcelona is to keep improving, but we know we have a decent platform to work from and solve the remaining issues.
“On paper we made a big relative improvement in China but it wasn’t just one thing,” he continued. “We took the Renault updates and our own updates as well and moved forward.
“Altogether we made a big step, even though there were no massive changes on the car. We’re just trying to make everything work together better. There is more to come for Barcelona.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Joey Logano avoids “yellow fever,” wins at N.H. to advance in Chase 1
- Wreck involves several Chase drivers; Keselowski spins, suffers minor damage 0
- Rosberg reflects on a tough day in Singapore (VIDEO) 2
- Reports: 2015 Sprint Cup rules package expected to be released on Tuesday 0
- Hamilton rules in Singapore to re-take championship lead as Rosberg retires 0
- Rosberg forced to retire in Singapore after electrical glitch 1
- Brendan Gaughan takes lead with 6 laps to go, wins Nationwide at Kentucky 0