May 3, 2014, 8:55 PM EDT
Normally, when you put the words “sweep” and “13-year-old” together, it typically means mom or dad want Junior to use a broom.
That’s not the case for young Todd Gilliland.
The son of NASCAR Sprint Cup driver David Gilliland thoroughly swept through things Friday night at Ace Speedway in Altamahaw, N.C., leading two practice sessions, earning his first-ever pole in qualifying and ultimately winning the race, his first triumph in a Late Model car.
What’s more, it was just the seventh stock car race the younger Gilliland has competed in, driving for his father’s David Gilliland Racing team.
After the top three qualifiers were inverted to start the race, Gilliland moved into second within the first 10 laps and romped over the rest of the field in the final 24 laps to win the 40-lap Limited Late Model event.
Oh, and did we mention that David is only an eighth-grader?! But it’s also obvious his father has imparted a lot of veteran knowledge to his young son.
“I just had to be smart and patient the whole race,” Gilliland said. “I needed to stay calm and take my time, because I knew if I wrecked, I was done.”
The younger Gilliland now leads the points in both the Limited Late Model and Late Model stock car classes at the .40-mile track. With his win, he now top-three finishes in each of his last five starts.
“I just wish my dad had been there, but he’s in Talladega. I couldn’t wait to talk to him after. I want to be just like him when I grow up.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1
- Insight: Planning Andretti’s Sports Marketing promotional efforts at Miami and NOLA 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 2
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 3
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 4