May 4, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT
Already multiple laps down, Brad Keselowski got loose and lost control on Lap 137 of today’s Aaron’s 499 at Talladega Superspeedway to set off a wreck that involved 14 cars.
Early in the race, Keselowski failed to clear Danica Patrick for the lead and was sent spinning out to bring a caution at Lap 14.
While his car appeared to be unscathed after the incident, he was forced to pit for a torn water line and returned six laps down.
Multiple others behind that cluster, including pole sitter Brian Scott, were unable to escape.
“When they wreck in front of you and you’re right in the middle, there’s nowhere you can go, which is unfortunate,” Scott said to Fox Sports. “That’s Talladega, I guess.”
Afterwards, Keselowski accepted responsibility for the melee.
“It just broke loose and spun out on me,” he said. “I don’ t know if I ran over something or just busted my rear end, but I feel bad for the guys that got caught up in it.
“We were just trying really hard to get our lap back there and we couldn’t catch any yellows or any breaks, so I had to be really aggressive and hope for something to happen our way.”
Kenseth and Gordon both indicated that they would try to get their cars repaired and turn some laps before the finish.
“I thought [Keselowski] was a bunch of laps down trying to get back on the lead lap, and he just spun out in front of all us and tore up a bunch of good race cars,” Kenseth said.
“All the right-front suspension is tore off, so we gotta switch all of that out and fix the A-frame mount, then go out and run for a little while, I guess.”
Here is the list of those drivers that were involved in the crash:
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 7 p.m. ET recaps Talladega 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 1
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 1
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 3
- What will NASCAR fans do now that their favorite drivers are eliminated from Chase? 9
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10