May 4, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton has said that he is doing all he can to overhaul teammate Nico Rosberg and take the lead of the drivers’ championship, and is ready to go head-to-head in a psychological battle.
The team’s advantage is such that it is already shaping up to be a fight between the two drivers for the championship this season. The management has allowed them to race up to now, but this nearly ended in tears at the Bahrain Grand Prix when the two were embroiled in an epic tussle for the lead that the Briton ultimately won.
Hamilton enjoyed a more comfortable victory in China last time out, and he is keen on ensuring that he maintains this advantage over Rosberg in the coming races.
“Nico will be massively quick at every race we go to,” he told Autosport. “I was determined to make sure that in China we were not close, like we were at the last race. It was definitely feeling a bit more like it was in Malaysia.
“I am going to keep on working and keep with the approach I have, because it is working perfectly for me.”
Although Hamilton appears to have rattled Rosberg in the early psychological battle, the Briton still believes that the advantage lies with his teammate by virtue of his four point championship lead.
“He is still leading the championship, isn’t he? In sports, it is all a psychological game,” Hamilton said.
“So of course, getting good results you cannot measure what effect that has on people. But I know how positive it is on me.”
Having won the last three races, the momentum certainly lies with Hamilton, but there is everything to play for heading to the first European race of the season in Spain next weekend.
- Munoz wins rain-shortened first race in Detroit 1
- Action Express wins; safety worker taken to hospital in TUDOR race at Detroit 0
- The week that was for Juan Pablo Montoya 0
- Power wins Verizon P1 Award in Detroit with new track record 1
- Preview: Detroit’s doubleheader a crucial weekend for IndyCar championship 0
- ARCA: From welder to race car driver, Sarah Cornett-Ching continues her building prowess 2
- Taylor Swift to be featured on Tony Kanaan’s IndyCar in Detroit; will she make it to track? 7