May 4, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
The TUDOR United SportsCar Championship put on a pair of two-hour races Sunday at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, and both the P/GTLM and PC/GTD races were barnburners.
In the headlining P/GTLM race, Extreme Speed Motorsports took an overall triumph with its P2-spec HPD ARX-03b, driven by pole sitter Johannes van Overbeek and co-driver Ed Brown. Van Overbeek made a pass of Jordan Taylor in the No. 10 Wayne Taylor Racing Corvette DP at Turn 4 on Lap 76 to take the win.
Corvette Racing won its second straight GTLM race with Jan Magnussen and Antonio Garcia, though more than an hour after the checkered flag, the rest of the podium had not been determined.
Unofficially at the flag, the No. 55 BMW Team RLL BMW Z4 GTE finished second ahead of the No. 911 Porsche North America Porsche 911 RSR. But a penalty was assessed to the No. 911 after the race for an on-track incident, which dropped that car to ninth, and promoted the No. 62 Risi Competizione Ferrari F458 Italia to the podium.
The earlier PC/GTD race saw Starworks Motorsport’s pair of Renger van der Zande and Mirco Schultis take the overall win in the Martini liveried Oreca FLM09.
GTD saw Spencer Pumpelly nearly win for Flying Lizard Motorsports in his Audi R8 LMS, but unfortunately run out of fuel on the final lap exiting the Corkscrew. Dane Cameron and Markus Palttala inherited the win in what was a great comeback drive in the No. 94 Turner Motorsport BMW Z4 GT3, as Palttala was spun in the first 15 minutes.
- Power wins Verizon P1 Award in Detroit with new track record 1
- Preview: Detroit’s doubleheader a crucial weekend for IndyCar championship 0
- ARCA: From welder to race car driver, Sarah Cornett-Ching continues her building prowess 2
- Taylor Swift to be featured on Tony Kanaan’s IndyCar in Detroit; will she make it to track? 7
- Surprises, struggles: NHRA at one-third mark of ’15 season 5
- FIA seeking new teams for Formula 1 in 2016 and 2017 8
- Gossage to Walker: “We need a more competitive race this year than last year” 2