May 4, 2014, 6:45 PM EST
While the Verizon IndyCar Series will stage two events at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway this month, its top developmental league is going even further.
Indy Lights presented by Cooper Tires is running a doubleheader (Race 1 – Friday, Race 2 – Saturday) on the IMS road course as part of the Grand Prix of Indianapolis before taking on the famous Brickyard oval in the Freedom 100 on Carb Day, May 23.
Today, 13 drivers prepared for the Freedom 100 by holding a Open Test that was led by Andretti Autosport’s Matthew Brabham in the first session and Belardi Auto Racing’s Gabby Chaves in the second session.
IMS president J. Douglas Boles was in attendance for the test, and grabbed this quick clip.
In the first session, Brabham topped the time sheets with a lap of 186.845 miles per hour that was just a touch better than the best from his teammate and Indy Lights championship leader Zach Veach, who topped out at 186.610 mph.
Schmidt Peterson Motorsports’ Luiz Razia and Jack Harvey were third and fourth in the session, each of them breaking 186 mph with their best laps. Chaves, who split the recent Indy Lights doubleheader at Barber Motorsports Park with Veach, was fifth at 185.592 mph.
The second session saw speeds go up and Chaves followed suit, rising to the top with a lap of 187.819 mph for the Belardi camp. Harvey also broke Brabham’s top time from the first session, logging a lap of 187.006 mph.
Razia was third again in the afternoon at 186.373 mph, followed by Veach in fourth and Brabham in fifth.
Video from NASCAR America
- F1 Paddock Pass: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- The F1 champ is crowned on NBCSN from Abu Dhabi this weekend 0
- Alonso: My next move won’t be a surprise for anybody 0
- Will the weight of expectation prove to be too great for Lewis Hamilton in Abu Dhabi? 1
- With Vettel, Alonso, Mercedes and Renault all on the move, Abu Dhabi will mark the end of an era in F1 0
- 2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Preview 0
- Sebastian Vettel joins Ferrari for 2015 season, partnering Kimi Raikkonen 0