May 4, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
While the Verizon IndyCar Series will stage two events at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway this month, its top developmental league is going even further.
Indy Lights presented by Cooper Tires is running a doubleheader (Race 1 – Friday, Race 2 – Saturday) on the IMS road course as part of the Grand Prix of Indianapolis before taking on the famous Brickyard oval in the Freedom 100 on Carb Day, May 23.
Today, 13 drivers prepared for the Freedom 100 by holding a Open Test that was led by Andretti Autosport’s Matthew Brabham in the first session and Belardi Auto Racing’s Gabby Chaves in the second session.
IMS president J. Douglas Boles was in attendance for the test, and grabbed this quick clip.
In the first session, Brabham topped the time sheets with a lap of 186.845 miles per hour that was just a touch better than the best from his teammate and Indy Lights championship leader Zach Veach, who topped out at 186.610 mph.
Schmidt Peterson Motorsports’ Luiz Razia and Jack Harvey were third and fourth in the session, each of them breaking 186 mph with their best laps. Chaves, who split the recent Indy Lights doubleheader at Barber Motorsports Park with Veach, was fifth at 185.592 mph.
The second session saw speeds go up and Chaves followed suit, rising to the top with a lap of 187.819 mph for the Belardi camp. Harvey also broke Brabham’s top time from the first session, logging a lap of 187.006 mph.
Razia was third again in the afternoon at 186.373 mph, followed by Veach in fourth and Brabham in fifth.
- Preview: Detroit’s doubleheader a crucial weekend for IndyCar championship 0
- ARCA: From welder to race car driver, Sarah Cornett-Ching continues her building prowess 1
- Taylor Swift to be featured on Tony Kanaan’s IndyCar in Detroit; will she make it to track? 7
- Surprises, struggles: NHRA at one-third mark of ’15 season 4
- FIA seeking new teams for Formula 1 in 2016 and 2017 6
- Gossage to Walker: “We need a more competitive race this year than last year” 2
- Volkswagen Andretti pair of Foust, Speed seek better fortunes, consistency 0