May 4, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Marc Marquez recovered from a slow start on the opening lap to stay perfect so far this season in MotoGP with a wire-to-wire victory at the Spanish Grand Prix in Jerez de la Frontera, Spain.
The series’ reigning World Champion now has four wins in as many races this year, a rampage that includes a win in Round 2 at Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas.
Today in Jerez, Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo got out to an early lead on Marquez, only to both be cleared by him before the field came back around to complete the opening lap.
From there, Marquez pulled away and left Rossi to fight Marquez’s teammate, Dani Pedrosa, for second place. Rossi was able to take that battle for his second podium finish of the year and his first at Jerez since 2010.
Lorenzo, celebrating his 27th birthday, came home in fourth, while Andrea Dovizioso picked up fifth to lead the Ducati camp.
“I’m really happy, it’s a different kind of victory,” said Marquez on the series’ official web site. “I struggled a little bit this weekend and the level is so high with Pedrosa, Jorge and Valentino who are all very strong.
“In the beginning, I was able to open a gap and push. I know that Dani and Valentino are so strong at the end of the race and with new tires I felt better than on old tires so I pushed very hard at the start.”
Marquez is now the first to win the first four premier-class races of the year since Mick Doohan pulled it off in 1992. Prior to today, Marquez had never won at Jerez.
MotoGP returns to action on May 18 at Le Mans, France.
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach and Barber debrief 0
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 1
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 12
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0