May 4, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
If it wasn’t against etiquette – not to mention NASCAR rules – Clint Bowyer and Greg Biffle might have been tempted to stick their feet out the window during Sunday’s Aaron’s 499 at Talladega Superspeedway.
The unexpected high temperatures at Talladega not only got numerous drivers hot under the collar – as evidenced by the number of wrecks – but it also caused many of then to feel like some prankster may have used a lighter or stuck a match in their shoes to give them a case of hot foot.
It was THAT hot inside the race cars.
How hot? Consider this exchange between runner-up Biffle and third-place finisher Bowyer during their post-race session with the media:
BIFFLE: “I’m glad somebody else’s feet were hot because mine were on fire all day. It wasn’t even that hot out.”
BOWYER: “Did you do the old cross-over for a while?”
BIFFLE: “Yeah, my heels were burned up.”
BOWYER: “I had to use my left foot for a little while. They do get hot.”
BIFFLE: “I’m not sure why.”
BOWYER: “Pays pretty good, though, so we’ll get through it.”
When a reporter asked both drivers where their right legs were when things were the hottest, the two drivers offered this exchange:
BIFFLE: “Up off the hot floor.”
BOWYER: “Pick it up, stick it out the window, whatever you could do. It was hot.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 0
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 1
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 2
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1