May 4, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
If it wasn’t against etiquette – not to mention NASCAR rules – Clint Bowyer and Greg Biffle might have been tempted to stick their feet out the window during Sunday’s Aaron’s 499 at Talladega Superspeedway.
The unexpected high temperatures at Talladega not only got numerous drivers hot under the collar – as evidenced by the number of wrecks – but it also caused many of then to feel like some prankster may have used a lighter or stuck a match in their shoes to give them a case of hot foot.
It was THAT hot inside the race cars.
How hot? Consider this exchange between runner-up Biffle and third-place finisher Bowyer during their post-race session with the media:
BIFFLE: “I’m glad somebody else’s feet were hot because mine were on fire all day. It wasn’t even that hot out.”
BOWYER: “Did you do the old cross-over for a while?”
BIFFLE: “Yeah, my heels were burned up.”
BOWYER: “I had to use my left foot for a little while. They do get hot.”
BIFFLE: “I’m not sure why.”
BOWYER: “Pays pretty good, though, so we’ll get through it.”
When a reporter asked both drivers where their right legs were when things were the hottest, the two drivers offered this exchange:
BIFFLE: “Up off the hot floor.”
BOWYER: “Pick it up, stick it out the window, whatever you could do. It was hot.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 4
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 0
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 3
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 11
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 4
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0