May 4, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Today, NASCAR Sprint Cup Series drivers will be racing at over 200 miles per hour through the 2.66-mile Talladega Superspeedway, which now includes a special tribute to NASCAR’s most famous figures from the Heart of Dixie, the “Alabama Gang.”
The back straight of NASCAR’s biggest oval was renamed “The Alabama Gang Superstretch” ahead of this weekend’s NASCAR festivities in honor of its original members, Bobby and Donnie Allison, and Red Farmer.
“No honor is too big for The Alabama Gang,” track president Grant Lynch said in a statement. “What we are doing in naming The Alabama Gang Superstretch is unprecedented in our sport. During our events, from TV cameras and still photography, fans will be able to see this accolade for some of our favorite people in the world.
“The gang has meant so much to NASCAR, Talladega Superspeedway and the state of Alabama, and this is just a small token of our appreciation.”
Talladega was often a successful track for both the original and later members of the Alabama Gang. Cheered on by the locals, Bobby, Donnie and Red combined for eight ‘Dega wins in their driving careers.
“When you won Talladega, there was something extra special about it,” Donnie said in his own thoughts. “It was a huge deal to us, our family and friends.”
Other Alabama Gang competitors that won at ‘Dega include Neil Bonnett and one of Bobby’s sons, Davey, who earned eight wins there (three in Sprint Cup, four in ARCA, one in IROC).
These days, up-and-comers Justin Allison (Donnie’s grandson) and Robbie Allison (Davey’s son and Bobby’s grandson) are continuing the group’s legacy.
- Preview: Detroit’s doubleheader a crucial weekend for IndyCar championship 0
- ARCA: From welder to race car driver, Sarah Cornett-Ching continues her building prowess 1
- Taylor Swift to be featured on Tony Kanaan’s IndyCar in Detroit; will she make it to track? 7
- Surprises, struggles: NHRA at one-third mark of ’15 season 5
- FIA seeking new teams for Formula 1 in 2016 and 2017 6
- Gossage to Walker: “We need a more competitive race this year than last year” 2
- Volkswagen Andretti pair of Foust, Speed seek better fortunes, consistency 0