May 5, 2014, 6:27 AM EST
Conor Daly has been confirmed for a full season of GP2, with the same Venezuela GP Lazarus squad he has tested and raced the opening round of the season with.
The 22-year-old American spent the winter determining whether another season in Europe or a full-season in North America would be his next career step after racing the last three seasons in GP3, and also dovetailing with some other part-time open-wheel opportunities.
Unfortunately for Daly, options for both a full Verizon IndyCar Series season or even a month of May program dried up, due to the nature of requiring a sizable budget for opportunities. Thus when Lazarus came calling late this year to confirm he’d be testing for them at Abu Dhabi, GP2 suddenly became an option.
This officially confirms Daly alongside Alexander Rossi as the two Americans with full-season programs in GP2.
“This has been a long winter of uncertainty for me, but I am committed on my path to Formula One,” Daly said via a team release. “GP2 is where I want to be right now, and the Lazarus team really has a great group of people. We have learned a lot so far this season and have more work to do, but I will give everything to the team to help achieve a great result.”
Added team principal Nicolo Gaglian, “We are delighted to have reached an agreement for this season with Conor Daly, a driver we have followed in recent years in GP3 and that has now thoroughly impressed when he got behind the wheel of our GP2 test in Abu Dhabi. It is a pleasure for us to be able to get on track an US driver: Conor, despite having little experience with the GP2 car, knows the circuits having raced three seasons in GP3. He’s a talented driver and we hope to reach good results together.”
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 0
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1
- Lewis Hamilton explains decision to reject #1 for 2015 1