May 5, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Inspired by the support, Ambrose and his Richard Petty Motorsports team have proposed another idea.
Since Ambrose did not win in 2013 and hasn’t won this season, he hasn’t yet locked himself into the field for the 2014 Sprint All-Star Race on May 17 at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
He has three ways to change that: Win the 5-Hour Energy 400 this Saturday night at Kansas Speedway (where he finished ninth last fall), come home first or second in the Sprint Showdown prelim that precedes the All-Star Race, or have the fans vote him into the main event.
And should he get there, Ambrose has vowed to donate $25,000 to the Victory Junction Camp for children with serious illnesses. The Camp was created by Kyle Petty and his wife, Pattie, in honor of their late son, Adam.
“I had a tremendous outpouring of support after Richmond from so many fans,” Ambrose said in a statement. “But, that situation was between myself and another driver. I had to pay the consequences from that and my fans had nothing to do with what happened.
“But, they have been so supportive of me in NASCAR, that maybe there was something we could do so they could make a difference. If they want to support me, they can vote for me and we’ll take the total of the fine and pay it forward to Victory Junction.”
Fans can vote for Ambrose (or another driver not yet in the All-Star field) via the NASCAR Mobile app, whose votes will count for double. Additionally, fans can vote online and at the track. Voting will close on May 16, the day before the All-Star Race.
- Hunter-Reay leads as times plunge in second practice at Sonoma 0
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 1
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6