May 5, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Inspired by the support, Ambrose and his Richard Petty Motorsports team have proposed another idea.
Since Ambrose did not win in 2013 and hasn’t won this season, he hasn’t yet locked himself into the field for the 2014 Sprint All-Star Race on May 17 at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
He has three ways to change that: Win the 5-Hour Energy 400 this Saturday night at Kansas Speedway (where he finished ninth last fall), come home first or second in the Sprint Showdown prelim that precedes the All-Star Race, or have the fans vote him into the main event.
And should he get there, Ambrose has vowed to donate $25,000 to the Victory Junction Camp for children with serious illnesses. The Camp was created by Kyle Petty and his wife, Pattie, in honor of their late son, Adam.
“I had a tremendous outpouring of support after Richmond from so many fans,” Ambrose said in a statement. “But, that situation was between myself and another driver. I had to pay the consequences from that and my fans had nothing to do with what happened.
“But, they have been so supportive of me in NASCAR, that maybe there was something we could do so they could make a difference. If they want to support me, they can vote for me and we’ll take the total of the fine and pay it forward to Victory Junction.”
Fans can vote for Ambrose (or another driver not yet in the All-Star field) via the NASCAR Mobile app, whose votes will count for double. Additionally, fans can vote online and at the track. Voting will close on May 16, the day before the All-Star Race.
Video from NASCAR America
- Kurt Busch calls ex-girlfriend’s allegations a ‘fabrication’ 6
- Fry, Tombazis out as part of Ferrari’s ongoing restructuring 1
- Sprint to end title sponsorship of NASCAR’s Cup Series after 2016 (VIDEO) 17
- NBC SportsWorld: The vision of blind NHRA crew chief Jay Blake 1
- Rutledge Wood joins NBC Sports Group’s NASCAR and motors coverage 6
- NASCAR expands Sprint Unlimited field to include Chase drivers 3
- Health issues to sideline Brian Vickers for early part of 2015 Sprint Cup season 5