May 5, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Even though Denny Hamlin was forced to miss a race earlier this season, the Joe Gibbs Racing driver has managed to effectively make the Chase by virtue of his win yesterday at Talladega Superspeedway.
As Marty Snider and Jeff Burton explained in today’s episode of NASCAR AMERICA, it’s a nice accomplishment for Hamlin when you consider the things that he’s had to go through over the last few seasons, such as his near-miss for the 2010 Sprint Cup title and his back injury last year that sidelined him for several races.
Kurt Busch is also part of that Grid thanks to his Martinsville win, but all race winners must also be within the Top 30 in championship points. And with four DNFs in the first 10 races, Busch is in the danger zone at 27th in the standings.
Video from NASCAR America
- How NASCAR determined Tony Stewart was ready to race again 3
- Helton: Tony Stewart still eligible for Chase, but must win to get in 2
- Sheriff: Stewart crash investigation to continue “for at least another 2 weeks” 8
- Kurt Busch, Danica Patrick glad to see boss, teammate and friend Tony Stewart back in race car 0
- Tony Stewart: ‘This is a sadness and pain that I hope no one has to experience in their life’ 40
- The most memorable moments of IndyCar 2014 (so far) 0
- Mercedes drivers “remain free to race” following meeting today 7