May 5, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Even though Denny Hamlin was forced to miss a race earlier this season, the Joe Gibbs Racing driver has managed to effectively make the Chase by virtue of his win yesterday at Talladega Superspeedway.
As Marty Snider and Jeff Burton explained in today’s episode of NASCAR AMERICA, it’s a nice accomplishment for Hamlin when you consider the things that he’s had to go through over the last few seasons, such as his near-miss for the 2010 Sprint Cup title and his back injury last year that sidelined him for several races.
Kurt Busch is also part of that Grid thanks to his Martinsville win, but all race winners must also be within the Top 30 in championship points. And with four DNFs in the first 10 races, Busch is in the danger zone at 27th in the standings.
Video from NASCAR America
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 0
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 0
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 0
- Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta 1
- Still searching: Castroneves finishes 14th, falls short of IndyCar title (VIDEO) 1
- Will Power claims 2014 IndyCar title as Tony Kanaan ties season win record in Fontana 1
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. on Tony Stewart’s return to racing: ‘I’m sure that’s where he wants to be’ 0