May 5, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Even though Denny Hamlin was forced to miss a race earlier this season, the Joe Gibbs Racing driver has managed to effectively make the Chase by virtue of his win yesterday at Talladega Superspeedway.
As Marty Snider and Jeff Burton explained in today’s episode of NASCAR AMERICA, it’s a nice accomplishment for Hamlin when you consider the things that he’s had to go through over the last few seasons, such as his near-miss for the 2010 Sprint Cup title and his back injury last year that sidelined him for several races.
Kurt Busch is also part of that Grid thanks to his Martinsville win, but all race winners must also be within the Top 30 in championship points. And with four DNFs in the first 10 races, Busch is in the danger zone at 27th in the standings.
- Report: Toto Wolff speaks out against F1′s double points finale 2
- IndyCar: Toronto weekend analysis, musings and observations 0
- NASCAR’s Brian France on RTA’s formation: “We didn’t think it was necessary” 11
- Eldora and Indy putting a lot on Tony Stewart’s plate 0
- Todd Gilliland, 14, outdistances father David, grandfather Butch in first time they’ve all raced together 0