May 5, 2014, 3:10 PM EDT
A group of five drivers that includes former Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski (Team Penske) will take part in a “confirmation test” tomorrow at Iowa Speedway ahead of the track’s Nationwide Series race on Sunday, May 18.
NASCAR.com’s Kenny Bruce reports that Nationwide regulars Chase Elliott (JR Motorsports), Brian Scott (Richard Childress Racing), and Trevor Bayne (Roush Fenway Racing), as well as Joe Gibbs Racing part-timer Sam Hornish Jr., will also turn laps tomorrow at Iowa.
“It’s basically a confirmation test for the track,” NNS director Wayne Auton said. “There are a couple of areas we want to look at and, if necessary, address before we get into the race week.
“We told the teams they can bring as many drivers as they want, but we limited them to just the five cars. There’s an open test on Friday of race week, so we believe everyone will have [adequate] track time.”
The track reports that testing will take place from 10 a.m.-Noon CT and again from 1-6 p.m. CT. Fans are invited to watch the proceedings from backstretch viewing areas.
The Get To Know Newton 250 race will mark the first event for the track since it was purchased by NASCAR last year. Also on the docket this year are an IndyCar/Camping World Truck Series weekend in July and a second Nationwide appearance in August.
Video from NASCAR America
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 0
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 0
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2
- VIDEO: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show, talks about F1 in the U.S. 2
- Tune-In: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show (PHOTOS) 1