May 5, 2014, 3:10 PM EDT
A group of five drivers that includes former Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski (Team Penske) will take part in a “confirmation test” tomorrow at Iowa Speedway ahead of the track’s Nationwide Series race on Sunday, May 18.
NASCAR.com’s Kenny Bruce reports that Nationwide regulars Chase Elliott (JR Motorsports), Brian Scott (Richard Childress Racing), and Trevor Bayne (Roush Fenway Racing), as well as Joe Gibbs Racing part-timer Sam Hornish Jr., will also turn laps tomorrow at Iowa.
“It’s basically a confirmation test for the track,” NNS director Wayne Auton said. “There are a couple of areas we want to look at and, if necessary, address before we get into the race week.
“We told the teams they can bring as many drivers as they want, but we limited them to just the five cars. There’s an open test on Friday of race week, so we believe everyone will have [adequate] track time.”
The track reports that testing will take place from 10 a.m.-Noon CT and again from 1-6 p.m. CT. Fans are invited to watch the proceedings from backstretch viewing areas.
The Get To Know Newton 250 race will mark the first event for the track since it was purchased by NASCAR last year. Also on the docket this year are an IndyCar/Camping World Truck Series weekend in July and a second Nationwide appearance in August.
- Montoya fastest on opening day of Indianapolis 500 practice 2
- Indy 500 refresher running, RoP gets underway today at IMS 0
- Chevrolet reveals its super speedway aero kit 2
- ARCA driver Brad Smith recovering from ankle surgery after Talladega wreck 0
- 21 years after his death, the legacy of Ayrton Senna burns as brightly as ever 2
- Honda reveals its super speedway aero kit Thursday at IMS (VIDEO) 9
- Ed Carpenter talks Newgarden’s win and preparing for superspeedway aero kit at Indy 7