May 5, 2014, 3:10 PM EDT
A group of five drivers that includes former Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski (Team Penske) will take part in a “confirmation test” tomorrow at Iowa Speedway ahead of the track’s Nationwide Series race on Sunday, May 18.
NASCAR.com’s Kenny Bruce reports that Nationwide regulars Chase Elliott (JR Motorsports), Brian Scott (Richard Childress Racing), and Trevor Bayne (Roush Fenway Racing), as well as Joe Gibbs Racing part-timer Sam Hornish Jr., will also turn laps tomorrow at Iowa.
“It’s basically a confirmation test for the track,” NNS director Wayne Auton said. “There are a couple of areas we want to look at and, if necessary, address before we get into the race week.
“We told the teams they can bring as many drivers as they want, but we limited them to just the five cars. There’s an open test on Friday of race week, so we believe everyone will have [adequate] track time.”
The track reports that testing will take place from 10 a.m.-Noon CT and again from 1-6 p.m. CT. Fans are invited to watch the proceedings from backstretch viewing areas.
The Get To Know Newton 250 race will mark the first event for the track since it was purchased by NASCAR last year. Also on the docket this year are an IndyCar/Camping World Truck Series weekend in July and a second Nationwide appearance in August.
Video from NASCAR America
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 0
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 0
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 0
- Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta 1
- Still searching: Castroneves finishes 14th, falls short of IndyCar title (VIDEO) 1
- Will Power claims 2014 IndyCar title as Tony Kanaan ties season win record in Fontana 1
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. on Tony Stewart’s return to racing: ‘I’m sure that’s where he wants to be’ 0