May 5, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Via multiple reports, including Dave Furst of Indianapolis ABC affiliate WRTV and Indianapolis Star reporter Curt Cavin among others, Australian James Davison is set to be the 33rd entry for this year’s Indianapolis 500.
The reports have Davison in a fourth KV Racing Technology entry, joining full season entrants Sebastien Bourdais and Sebastian Saavedra, and previously announced third driver Townsend Bell, who is also an NBCSN IndyCar analyst.
There’s more than meets the eye to this in terms of Bell, Davison, their 2014 full season commitments and a shared partner.
Bell will have support from Royal Purple on his No. 6 Robert Graham – Royal Purple – Beneteau USA Chevrolet, as he seeks to make his eighth Indianapolis 500 start. The synthetic motor oil also supports Bell’s No. 555 AIM Autosport Ferrari 458 Italia GT3 in the GT Daytona class of the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship.
Meanwhile one of Royal Purple’s other teams it supports is TRG-AMR North America – Davison’s squad in GT Daytona of the TUDOR Championship.
Per Cavin, the proposed No. 33 Chevrolet will be on a short-week program, and the team is yet officially confirm this will happen.
But when you look at who’s already associated with the various entities, it makes more sense.
The 32nd car, incidentally, is the aforementioned Coyne second car which has been driven in the first three races of 2014 by Colombian rookie Carlos Huertas. Huertas completed his Rookie Orientation Program today and is likely to be confirmed to the team’s No. 18 Honda for the Indianapolis 500.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52