May 6, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
KV Racing Technology and Lazier Partners Racing have made some announcements today regarding their respective programs for the Month of May at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Two-time Indianapolis 500 champion Al Unser Jr. will serve as a driver coach this month for the KV camp, which may expand its “500” program to four cars if the reports involving James Davison indeed pan out (the team is currently at three with Sebastien Bourdais, Sebastian Saavedra, and Townsend Bell).
“Obviously, Al brings a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience to the team and will be a huge asset,” said team co-owner and former CART champion Jimmy Vasser. “You don’t win the Indianapolis 500 twice and come from a family that has won it nine times without figuring out a few things that the other guys haven’t.”
“I think everyone knows how I feel about the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and to be able to come back with the defending [Indy 500] champions and try and help them repeat means a lot to me,” Unser said. “I am just very thankful for this chance to work with the team’s drivers and hopefully, I can contribute in a meaningful way.”
Meanwhile, the Lazier team has added David Cripps as lead engineer for the No. 91 Chevrolet of 1996 Indy 500 winner Buddy Lazier.
One of the more respected engineers in the IndyCar paddock, Cripps served as engineer for Panther Racing during its run of four consecutive runner-up finishes at the “500” from 2008-2011.
He recently served as a technical director for the U.S. Bobsled team during the 2014 Sochi Olympic Winter Games. With Cripps’ help, the team earned four medals – two bronzes in men’s bobsled, plus the silver and bronze in women’s bobsled.
LPR has also acquired associate sponsorship for the “500” from lawnmower engine manufacturer Briggs & Stratton.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 14
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 5
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 47
- Kyle Busch outduels Joey Logano for Nationwide win in Dover 2