May 6, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Martin Plowman will make his return to the Verizon IndyCar Series this weekend in the No. 41 Alfe Heat Treating Honda for A.J. Foyt Racing at the Grand Prix of Indianapolis. But first, he’ll be kicking off the weekend on Wednesday with a charity event for a good cause.
Plowman, who has worked with the Snowball Express charity for children of fallen military heroes for several years (since 2011), and fiancee Nicole Pollard have organized a charity go-kart race at Fastimes Indoor Karting on Wednesday night. All proceeds from the event go to Snowball Express.
It’s a two-and-a-half hour endurance kart race with nine teams. A mix of athletes from the NFL and IndyCar will be in attendance. Those NFL players coming from the Indianapolis Colts include Pat McAfee, Dwayne Allen, Matt Overton, Anthony Heygood and Ryan Baker.
Meanwhile the IndyCar contingent in attendance include rookie Jack Hawksworth, Indy Lights driver and the very similarly named Jack Harvey, and Indy Lights veteran and current off-road truck racer Arie Luyendyk Jr.
Plowman, who won the 2013 FIA World Endurance Championship LMP2 Driver’s Championship and the 24 Hours of Le Mans driving for OAK Racing, makes his first IndyCar start since 2011 this weekend. He’ll also compete in the No. 41 ABC Supply Co. Honda for the Indianapolis 500. He competed in three IndyCar races (Mid-Ohio, Sonoma, Baltimore) in 2011.
More information is available here, via Plowman’s official website.
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach and Barber debrief 0
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 1
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 12
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0