May 6, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Martin Plowman will make his return to the Verizon IndyCar Series this weekend in the No. 41 Alfe Heat Treating Honda for A.J. Foyt Racing at the Grand Prix of Indianapolis. But first, he’ll be kicking off the weekend on Wednesday with a charity event for a good cause.
Plowman, who has worked with the Snowball Express charity for children of fallen military heroes for several years (since 2011), and fiancee Nicole Pollard have organized a charity go-kart race at Fastimes Indoor Karting on Wednesday night. All proceeds from the event go to Snowball Express.
It’s a two-and-a-half hour endurance kart race with nine teams. A mix of athletes from the NFL and IndyCar will be in attendance. Those NFL players coming from the Indianapolis Colts include Pat McAfee, Dwayne Allen, Matt Overton, Anthony Heygood and Ryan Baker.
Meanwhile the IndyCar contingent in attendance include rookie Jack Hawksworth, Indy Lights driver and the very similarly named Jack Harvey, and Indy Lights veteran and current off-road truck racer Arie Luyendyk Jr.
Plowman, who won the 2013 FIA World Endurance Championship LMP2 Driver’s Championship and the 24 Hours of Le Mans driving for OAK Racing, makes his first IndyCar start since 2011 this weekend. He’ll also compete in the No. 41 ABC Supply Co. Honda for the Indianapolis 500. He competed in three IndyCar races (Mid-Ohio, Sonoma, Baltimore) in 2011.
More information is available here, via Plowman’s official website.
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 0
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 0
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 1
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0
- Hunter-Reay fastest in final Mid-Ohio warm up despite spinning out 0
- Cole Custer sails to first career ARCA win at Pocono, 9th first-time winner in series in 2015 0