Cop cites Kyle Busch for speeding and ‘disrespectful attitude’

May 7, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT

kyle busch ticket

Kyle Busch learned his lesson after being cited for speeding for going 128 mph in a 45 mph zone three years ago.

Well, kinda.

Old Leadfoot … uh, make that the younger Busch brother, has once again been nailed for speeding in another 45 mph zone, according to Charlotte TV station WSOC.

Only this time, Busch’s offending speed was a more reasonable 60 mph in a 45 mph zone when he was stopped April 29 at 7:45 pm ET while driving through the northwest suburban Charlotte hamlet of Denver, N.C.

The North Carolina Highway Patrol trooper who issued Busch the speeding ticket (copy above) made sure to point out Busch’s “disrespectful attitude” on the citation.

Busch reportedly told the trooper he thought the speed limit was 55 mph, according to WSOC.

No court date has been announced, and Busch has thus far refused comment on the incident.

This is at least the third traffic citation Busch has received in the last eight years.

In 2006, he was cited for reckless driving in Richmond, Va., after “chirping” his tires while exiting a gas station.

Then there was the infamous citation in 2011, when Busch was caught on radar by a sheriff’s deputy doing 83 mph over the limit (128 mph in a 45 mph zone) north of Mooresville, N.C.

He was charged in that incident with careless and reckless driving and speeding. Busch pleaded guilty to the latter charge, paid a $1,000 fine, had his driver’s license suspended for 45 days and was placed on one year of unsupervised probation.

It’s unlikely Busch will be penalized by NASCAR for his latest infraction, as the sanctioning body considered his two previous run-ins a private matter and did not sanction him.

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

1. rdrfan - May 7, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Big Deal …. Go get them Rowdy

• fave88 - May 8, 2014 at 8:26 AM

@rdfan……How’s your stupidity working for you? Its not the speeding ticket that’s the issue e poice man that gave to him. Many peope have been stopped for speeding, it’s the disrespect that is Kyle’s trademark immature attitude. The same one he shows on the track.

• clambert2013 - May 8, 2014 at 6:22 PM

What disrespect? They used that word but only stated that he thought the speed limit was higher. I agree that Nascar drivers should follow the same rules on the road, but I would think they are safer at 100 MPH than you are at 35MPH.

2. convincedofthehex - May 7, 2014 at 3:54 PM

And cops always tell the truth……

3. techmeister1 - May 7, 2014 at 4:02 PM

I think the tire chirping is a B.S. charge based on my experience. The speeding ticket for 65 in a 45 is legit and like every other driver he should pay his fine and be held accountable. It’s unfortunate that he can’t be slapped silly three times a day for his arrogant, apathetic attitude because he really needs it.

Professional help has minimal effect until it hurts. Then you’ve finally gotten to the core of the mental issue. CRASHCAR should have banned Kyle for a year for his 128 mph speeding, his on track disrespect and pit road encounters – but they failed the ethics test again.

So when it’s all said an done, the brat brothers will continue their illegal and uncivil behavior until someone is seriously injured or killed. Then they’ll beg for forgiveness and use their money to buy their way out of being held responsible for their own actions – just as they have been doing for years. there is a history of chronic disrespect from the brat brothers.

• queenofsummit - May 7, 2014 at 7:20 PM

And YOU have never done 60 in a 45???? I assume you are either a Jr fan or a Kissasski fan. I for one don’t consider the comment that he thought the speed limit was 55 disrespectful and I live in that area a know for a fact that the speed limit changes every half mile or less so it probably was an honest mistake.

• techmeister1 - May 7, 2014 at 11:01 PM

It has nothing to do with what drivers I like or dislike. The law is the same for everyone – well except for those with enough money to buy their way out of being personally responsible for their actions. Kyle should have done 6 months in jail for the 128 mph speeding ticket. He obviously didn’t learn from buying his way out of that one.

And no I haven’t driven 60 in a 45 mph zone. I drive whatever the psoted speed limit is and I use cruise a lot. The streets are not for racing. Race tracks are for racing. When I want to drive fast I go to the race track or other appropriate place and drive as fast as I desire. For the record I have legally driven 172 mph on the autobahns in Germany but you can only drive those speeds in disignated areas.

Both Kyle and Kurt are disrespectful punks and they need a serious reality check.

• revd4s - May 8, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Not everybody breaks the law by speeding. The first issue is that he was unaware of what the speed limit was. The second is he was doing 15 mph over the limit. The third issue is his attitude. If he (or you for that matter) cannot pay attention to the speed limit and other road signs, then stay off the road. They put up the signs for a reason and it is not to ignore them or the laws.

• clambert2013 - May 8, 2014 at 6:25 PM

I got nailed for 148 mph between Palm Springs and Lake Havasou. Did not go to jail. Paid a big fine. You suggest he should go to prison? Guess I should too. You probably drive a Prious.

4. penskefan - May 7, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Gee, I guess his off-track attitude is just as bad as his on-track attitude.

• techmeister1 - May 7, 2014 at 10:47 PM

EXACTLY. He is a problem child in deep denial.

5. jcday1126 - May 7, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Three citations in eight years,hell I know people who get that a year. I don’t like the 128 in a 45, but there making a story out of nothing. And the disrespectful attitude ,you get that from the officers usually,I have a badge so you must respect me attitude.

• techmeister1 - May 7, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Most people with three speeding citations in three years would not have a license – especially when one was for 128 mph in a 45 mph zone.

While some cops can be arseholes, Kyle and Kurt are ALWAYS arseholes and think they are above the law. They like most troubled people need to learn the hard way and that hasn’t happened yet.

6. quizguy66 - May 7, 2014 at 6:38 PM

60 in a 45? Kyle probably thought the penalty was just to go back to the end of the longest line.

7. onextinter123onextinter123 - May 7, 2014 at 6:51 PM

What about Michael Waltrip a couple pf years ago. He was “drunk” and speeding and being reckless and they hardly said a word. I guess in Kentucky they still have the good old boy network.

• techmeister1 - May 7, 2014 at 10:49 PM

He should have gone to jail also but if he isn’t at the scene of the crime and they can’t prove he was DUI at that time, they can’t win in court so the D.A. doesn’t bring charges that will get tossed.

• clarkerobinaugh - May 9, 2014 at 4:11 AM

You clearly are short on the facts. First, Waltrip lost control of his vehicle in a single car accident in North Carolina, not Kentucky. Second, he walked home after wrecking his vehicle so no law enforcement responded to the scene when he was present. Law enforcement made contact with him the following day. There was no evidence that he was intoxicated. High probability, but no evidence. Likewise, no evidence that he was speeding or reckless. Stick to the facts.

8. jobber33 - May 7, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Time for nascar to make a statement to the Busch boys. BOTH of them have had issues with driving off the track as well as on the track.

9. renaldorae - May 7, 2014 at 8:47 PM

What just because you have a badge you have to be repectfull i guess what the pig is saying i can kill you and get away with it. I bet that cop is just pissed off because he is driving a government car.

• techmeister1 - May 7, 2014 at 11:10 PM

While a lot of cops are arseholes and on an authority trip who do you call when someone is breaking into a house or attacking an innocent person? Just because there are some bad apples doesn’t mean all cops are bad. Many give their lives every year protecting the populace from the criminals. It’s a thankless and dangerous job for the most part. They never know when they stop someone for a vehicular offense if they will go home alive or end up dead.

One thing we know from actual experience is that Kurt and Kyle are disrespectful, flaming arseholes more often than not. This has been documented over and over and I’m confident Kyle acted the same towards this cop because Kyle believes he’s above the law. He needs some tough love and it hasn’t happened yet. He and brother Kurt are going to mouth off to the wrong person some day and end up paying a very high price for their uncivil behavior. That’s the only way they will ever change.

10. packerpride03 - May 7, 2014 at 9:48 PM

techmeister1 your still a idiot

• techmeister1 - May 7, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Being in denial doesn’t make you right, it just documents your ignorance.

11. aug99 - May 7, 2014 at 10:08 PM

THIS IS WHY HE WILL NEVER WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP .
    HE WILL NEVER GROW UP.
    HE WILL NEVER GET THE BIG PICTURE.

• techmeister1 - May 7, 2014 at 10:53 PM

He may win a championship in spite of himself because he has excellent driving skills. As a person however he has failed miserably despite the facade he presents. Both he and brother Kurt are spoiled, arrogant, disrespectful people who will never change until they get banned from CRASHCAR and all other pro racing for a year or more. Like a lot of the arse clowns who posted above, these two brothers are in deep, deep denial and can’t handle reality.

• revd4s - May 8, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Kurt has started to mature since he has been with his current girlfriend. Kyle has a long way to go.

12. packerpride03 - May 7, 2014 at 11:34 PM

What’s funny about this hole thing is you think these guys are butt holes bc they speak there mind.People like you are what’s wrong with the world. Let’s hang kyle busch because he speaks his mind and drives fast. This world has bigger problems then someone driving fast.

13. 40fan - May 7, 2014 at 11:58 PM

Driving through Atlanta Ga. you see all kinds of very high end car likely driven by professional sports figures going way over the speed limit and cutting back and forth, Bet the patrolman isn’t a Kyle Bush fan.

14. teamlango - May 8, 2014 at 4:54 AM

I have always wondered how does a person measure another persons attitude? Especially a bad attitude!

15. camino409robert1026 - May 8, 2014 at 6:25 AM

You used to be required to have a valid license to compete in NASCAR. I wish they still had that rule & as far as both Busch boys they need to be banned from NASCAR & the highway! As much as I hate to get a ticket, the State Man is doing his job & I have always been respectful of them.Things go much better by showing some respect & a town cop let me go after coming off the Interstate & running 55 in a 35 zone.I told him I know I was speeding but did not realize I was going that fast.That is reckless driving in Va. & he was as nice a man as you will ever meet.He had me dead to rights & told me to take it easy & handed my license back & I reached out & we shook hands & I thanked him & came on home-doing the speed limit or less!

16. bottlesflying - May 8, 2014 at 10:44 AM

128 in a 45? that’s a callous disregard for human life.

17. bottlesflying - May 8, 2014 at 10:44 AM

128 in a 45? that’s a callous disregard for human life.

18. shockertalk - May 8, 2014 at 11:49 AM

128 in a 45?
    OK. What fine, license suspension should have been given so he wouldn’t ever be tempted to do that again (and kill your teenage daughter)?
    The court system failed to protect us all.

19. clarkerobinaugh - May 9, 2014 at 4:14 AM

I’m laughing at all the people who claim they’ve never driven 60 in a 45. What a load of self-righteous crap. And let’s face it, if you had Kyle Busch’s money, talent and fame, you’d have a healthy dose of arrogance too.

20. chad4208 - May 10, 2014 at 7:57 PM

You people really have no idea what his attitude was in the incident. Just saying I thought it was 55 is not disrespectful. I was stopped once for stopping at a gas station. It was closed, so I drove through but he stopped me and treated me like a drug dealer. You have no other info other than a cops word and Id trust the mafia’s word before Id trust a cops. If you want disrespectful in a traffic stop, look up things police do. There are lots of roads where the speed changes but there are few signs so you can get confused easily by 10mph. So get off your self righteous high horse and say “it would never happen to me” because it easily can

• zoonsky - May 14, 2014 at 6:24 PM

It didn’t say he JUST said he thought it was a 55 zone Chad.

It said he said that AND was disrespectful.

Video from NASCAR America

Who has the best chance in Texas?
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches