May 7, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
Typecasting Dale Earnhardt Jr. as “The Wheelman” in a “short film” that looks suspiciously like an extended commercial isn’t too much of a stretch, considering what Junior does in his regular job.
But the premise of Junior as a wheelman for a bunch of his buddies burglarizing a Taco Bell restaurant thirsty for “Mountain Dew Baja Blast,” and then clean out a grocery store freezer selling the tropical lime-flavored drink in bottles and cans for the first time – and in a classic Chevy Camaro Junior nicknamed “Barbara” that can be temperamental getting going at times — is, well, a little hard to believe.
With his net worth, Junior could probably buy himself 1,000 Taco Bell franchises – if not the entire company – and wouldn’t have to resort to burglarizing a place simply for the drink it’s serving.
Be that as it may, Earnhardt fans will likely get a kick out of the new “short film.”
And as a press release touting the larger availability of Baja Blast succinctly says, “While Mountain Dew Baja Blast is always available at Taco Bell, consumers will have to move fast to buy it at retail, as the fan-favorite will head back to Taco Bell exclusively at the end of the summer … or when supplies run out.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Bubba Wallace pays homage to NASCAR Hall of Famer Wendell Scott with encore win at Martinsville 1
- Marussia also set to miss United States GP 8
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 7
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1