May 7, 2014, 12:57 PM EST
Even though it’s nothing more than a procedural meeting to go over rules, boundaries, etc., driver meetings have long been magnets for fans wanting to learn about what goes on in them.
Well, if you buy a ticket to the upcoming Toyota/Save Mart 350 at Sonoma Raceway on June 22, “for the first time ever in Sonoma … select fans will granted access to the NASCAR drivers’ meeting” (that’s how the track is putting it).
It’s a rare opportunity for fans – the track isn’t saying how many fans will take part in the meeting – to get up close and personal with drivers, crew chiefs, team owners and NASCAR officials as they spell out the lay of the land, so to speak, for that day’s race on the twisting Sonoma road course.
The only caveat is tickets must be purchased prior to May 31 for fans to gain eligibility.
To accommodate the number of fans who will attend the meeting, it’s usual venue within the Sprint Cup garage area will be shifted to the track’s infield – inside the hairpin at Turn 11.
“This is an incredible opportunity for our guests to go behind the curtain on race day and be part of the action,” said Steve Page, president and general manager of Sonoma Raceway. “We are grateful to NASCAR for arranging this special access to Sonoma’s race fans.”
More information will be posted to the track’s website in the coming days and weeks leading up to the race.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Manor Marussia F1 confirms trip to Melbourne 3
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 2
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 2
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3