May 8, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
Drag racing is more than just a situation where you put the pedal to the metal and hang on for dear life.
Over the last decade-plus, technology found in other forms of motorsports such as IndyCar and NASCAR has also found its way into the world of National Hot Rod Association drag racing.
One of those technology elements that has taken on crucial importance is wind tunnel testing.
Racers talk about it all the time, it seems, but most fans really don’t have much of an idea of what goes on.
Former NHRA Pro Stock champion Allen Johnson recently took his new Hemi-powered Dodge Dart into the wind tunnel, and through the magic of video, fans can come along for the ride to see what goes on in testing as car bodies are eventually manipulated and reconfigured to maximize the best air flow over and around those bodies.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 1
- Montoya rallies for second Indianapolis 500 victory (VIDEO) 5
- Hamilton: Impossible to express how I feel after Monaco defeat 2
- Rosberg lucks in to third straight Monaco GP win after Mercedes’ mistake costs Hamilton victory 47
- 2015 Indy 500 driver-by-driver one-liners 0
- Bell: “Carb Day is many things to many people; mine was many jobs” 0