May 8, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
Thirty years after Rick Mears won his second of four Indianapolis 500s in a Pennzoil car for Roger Penske, Penske’s current most successful driver at the ‘500 will pay homage to it at this year’s race.
Team Penske has announced Helio Castroneves, a three-time winner, will race in the No. 3 Pennzoil Dallara-Chevrolet at this year’s race. It’s a natural extension of the Shell/Pennzoil relationship the team enjoys and will see Castroneves’ No. 3 adorned in the yellow and red that Mears’ car carried.
The unveil occurred on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway plaza, with Mears’ 84 winner and Johnny Rutherford’s iconic 1980-winning Chaparral 2K flanking the new No. 3. To boot, Castroneves will wear a helmet similar to Mears’, only with “HELIO” adorned in all yellow caps on a red background rather than Mears. Both Mears and Rutherford were in attendance, with their cars, at the unveil.
And I’ll say this: the car. Looks. Awesome.
“For me, it’s an inspiration. Right now, it’s an honor to be wearing the yellow color, not because of Dancing With the Stars but it helps,” Castroneves said. “But just to see this, what an honor having these guys around helping me out to unveil the car. I want to thank Pennzoil with the new product and I’m excited to be representing you guys. It sounds like it’s a good luck charm. I feel like a small fish in a big ocean right now with those two legends over here.
“At the end of the day, Penske has a great history here at the Speedway. I can’t wait to be sitting in that car at the beginning of practice after the Indianapolis GP and I can’t wait to go race with these colors. And a special thanks to Rick for allowing me to use the colors of his helmet. I’m extremely thankful and honored to be wearing not only the Pennzoil colors but Rick’s helmet colors, too.”
Castroneves’ No. 3 will be red and white for this weekend’s Grand Prix of Indianapolis, with a Verizon livery. All three Penske cars will be in Verizon colors this weekend.
Video from NASCAR America
- Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports 0
- NBCSN’s F1 coverage delivers best ever single-season numbers for a cable network 4
- Mercedes reserve Wehrlein leads final Abu Dhabi test day to end 2014 0
- Jean-Eric Vergne confirms Toro Rosso exit 3
- Bottas leads as McLaren-Honda delayed on first day of Abu Dhabi test 6
- Steve Letarte reflects on Hendrick Motorsports career in “exit interview” (VIDEO) 3
- Weekend wrap: Lewis Hamilton back on top of the F1 mountain 4