May 8, 2014, 2:49 PM EST
Scott Dixon laid down the fastest lap of the Verizon IndyCar Series’ opening day of practice at 1:10.4654 at the 2.439-mile Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course, as times dropped in the second 45-minute session even as the temperatures increased.
The morning session was run under nearly perfect conditions of 75 degrees ambient and 88 on track, but by the afternoon, those marks had risen to 84 and 121, respectively.
Still, Dixon’s lap came on his 12th of 14 laps. It’s still off the pace he set at the series’ open test day last week, but left him top of the timesheets for the for the first time this season.
In the waning stages, Simon Pagenaud also broke into the 1:10.4 barrier at 1:10.4845. Will Power was third at 1:10.5672, and Mikhail Aleshin and James Hinchcliffe completed the top five.
It was a tightly bunched session with all except Mike Conway in 25th within one second of Dixon’s time. The top 24, from Dixon to Carlos Huertas, were separated by only 0.9333 of a second.
Practice three and qualifying is set for Friday. Here’s second practice times.
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 0
- Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony headlines 6.5 hours of NASCAR on NBCSN 0
- Ferrari reveals SF15-T for 2015 Formula 1 season 4
- Sauber aims to beat the blues of 2014 with C34’s launch 2