May 8, 2014, 2:49 PM EST
Scott Dixon laid down the fastest lap of the Verizon IndyCar Series’ opening day of practice at 1:10.4654 at the 2.439-mile Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course, as times dropped in the second 45-minute session even as the temperatures increased.
The morning session was run under nearly perfect conditions of 75 degrees ambient and 88 on track, but by the afternoon, those marks had risen to 84 and 121, respectively.
Still, Dixon’s lap came on his 12th of 14 laps. It’s still off the pace he set at the series’ open test day last week, but left him top of the timesheets for the for the first time this season.
In the waning stages, Simon Pagenaud also broke into the 1:10.4 barrier at 1:10.4845. Will Power was third at 1:10.5672, and Mikhail Aleshin and James Hinchcliffe completed the top five.
It was a tightly bunched session with all except Mike Conway in 25th within one second of Dixon’s time. The top 24, from Dixon to Carlos Huertas, were separated by only 0.9333 of a second.
Practice three and qualifying is set for Friday. Here’s second practice times.
Video from NASCAR America
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0
- Vettel and Ricciardo to start Abu Dhabi GP from pit lane 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Red Bull drivers excluded from qualifying in Abu Dhabi 2
- Force India confirms Sergio Perez on multi-year deal 2
- Nico Rosberg rallies to pole position in Abu Dhabi 0
- Rosberg closes out Abu Dhabi practice fastest 1