May 8, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Scott Dixon laid down the fastest lap of the Verizon IndyCar Series’ opening day of practice at 1:10.4654 at the 2.439-mile Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course, as times dropped in the second 45-minute session even as the temperatures increased.
The morning session was run under nearly perfect conditions of 75 degrees ambient and 88 on track, but by the afternoon, those marks had risen to 84 and 121, respectively.
Still, Dixon’s lap came on his 12th of 14 laps. It’s still off the pace he set at the series’ open test day last week, but left him top of the timesheets for the for the first time this season.
In the waning stages, Simon Pagenaud also broke into the 1:10.4 barrier at 1:10.4845. Will Power was third at 1:10.5672, and Mikhail Aleshin and James Hinchcliffe completed the top five.
It was a tightly bunched session with all except Mike Conway in 25th within one second of Dixon’s time. The top 24, from Dixon to Carlos Huertas, were separated by only 0.9333 of a second.
Practice three and qualifying is set for Friday. Here’s second practice times.
- Sebastian Saavedra leads at halfway in IndyCar season finale (VIDEO) 0
- Robin Miller pays tribute to Justin Wilson (VIDEO) 0
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar’s championship decided in Sonoma at 1 p.m. PT, 4 ET on NBCSN 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Porsche’s no. 17 car surges to maiden WEC victory in 6 Hours of Nürburgring 2
- Audi boss Ullrich laughs off continual F1 rumors 2
- MotorSportsTalk’s IndyCar championship pre-Sunday post round-up 0