May 8, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
The NASCAR Camping World Truck Series has not been on a race track for nearly six weeks, the last time being March 29 at Martinsville Speedway.
But even with the lengthy layoff, Jeb Burton and Ryan Blaney proved that the time off didn’t affect them adversely, as they were atop the heap of the two NCWTS practice sessions held Thursday afternoon at Kansas Speedway.
Burton put his No. 13 Toyota at the top of the speed charts in the first afternoon practice, covering the 1.5-mile Kansas Speedway layout at 175.530 mph.
Sixth through 10th in the first session were Kyle Busch (174.689), Joey Logano (174.627), Darrell “Bubba” Wallace Jr. (174.312), German Quiroga Jr. (173.801) and series veteran Ron Hornaday Jr. (173.734).
Only 28 trucks took part in the first practice, with Charles Lewandowski (160.671) and Norm Benning (157.054) the slowest of the bunch.
As for the second practice, Blaney had the fastest overall speed of the day at 176.148 mph, followed closely by Ben Kennedy (176.016 mph).
Joey Logano was third-fastest in the second session (175.063), followed by Timothy Peters (174.712) and Kyle Busch (174.678).
A total of 29 drivers took to the track for the latter session, with Scott Stenzel (28th-fastest, 157.159 mph) and Ryan Ellis (29th-fastest, 156.074 mph) as the only drivers failing to eclipse 160 mph.
NCWTS qualifying takes place Friday at 4:40 pm ET, with the SFP 250 race slated to take the green flag at 8:30 p.m. ET.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 2
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 3
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 14
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET for Martinsville outlook 0
- Caterham could miss Austin as crisis deepens at Leafield 2