May 9, 2014, 8:42 PM EST
While he hasn’t been able to find the key to a win thus far in the 2014 Sprint Cup season, six-time and defending Cup champ Jimmie Johnson will soon have a different kind of key.
Johnson will receive a ceremonial “key to the city” on Monday night during the Charlotte (N.C.) City Council meeting, according to The Charlotte Observer.
Mayor Don Clodfelter will present the honor to Johnson for the philanthropic and charitable efforts by Johnson and wife Chandra, both in the Charlotte area as well as nationally with the Jimmie Johnson Foundation.
Since its inception in 2006, Johnson’s foundation has given nearly $7 million to charities and organizations, including nearly $1 million to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg and Cabarrus County school systems.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- F1 2014 Review: Stories of the Season 0
- Toro Rosso confirms Carlos Sainz Jr. for 2015 F1 season 1
- F1 2014 Driver Review: Lewis Hamilton 0
- IndyCar’s Graham Rahal, NHRA’s Courtney Force engaged 11
- Police seek cause of death of race fan found near Talladega 0
- MST exclusive: BK Racing co-owner Anthony Marlowe apologizes for Cole Whitt/David Ragan tweet controversy 0
- What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014 2