May 9, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
While he hasn’t been able to find the key to a win thus far in the 2014 Sprint Cup season, six-time and defending Cup champ Jimmie Johnson will soon have a different kind of key.
Johnson will receive a ceremonial “key to the city” on Monday night during the Charlotte (N.C.) City Council meeting, according to The Charlotte Observer.
Mayor Don Clodfelter will present the honor to Johnson for the philanthropic and charitable efforts by Johnson and wife Chandra, both in the Charlotte area as well as nationally with the Jimmie Johnson Foundation.
Since its inception in 2006, Johnson’s foundation has given nearly $7 million to charities and organizations, including nearly $1 million to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg and Cabarrus County school systems.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 2
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 2
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 1
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3
- Report: FIA to conduct closed cockpit tests next month 13
- DiZinno: Justin Wilson’s enduring legacy, positive spirit loom as large as his frame 2