May 9, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
While he hasn’t been able to find the key to a win thus far in the 2014 Sprint Cup season, six-time and defending Cup champ Jimmie Johnson will soon have a different kind of key.
Johnson will receive a ceremonial “key to the city” on Monday night during the Charlotte (N.C.) City Council meeting, according to The Charlotte Observer.
Mayor Don Clodfelter will present the honor to Johnson for the philanthropic and charitable efforts by Johnson and wife Chandra, both in the Charlotte area as well as nationally with the Jimmie Johnson Foundation.
Since its inception in 2006, Johnson’s foundation has given nearly $7 million to charities and organizations, including nearly $1 million to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg and Cabarrus County school systems.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 0
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 1
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 2
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1