May 9, 2014, 8:42 PM EST
While he hasn’t been able to find the key to a win thus far in the 2014 Sprint Cup season, six-time and defending Cup champ Jimmie Johnson will soon have a different kind of key.
Johnson will receive a ceremonial “key to the city” on Monday night during the Charlotte (N.C.) City Council meeting, according to The Charlotte Observer.
Mayor Don Clodfelter will present the honor to Johnson for the philanthropic and charitable efforts by Johnson and wife Chandra, both in the Charlotte area as well as nationally with the Jimmie Johnson Foundation.
Since its inception in 2006, Johnson’s foundation has given nearly $7 million to charities and organizations, including nearly $1 million to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg and Cabarrus County school systems.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Manor passes final crash tests ahead of Australian GP 1
- WATCH: Mercedes F1: Road to Repeat at 8 p.m. ET highlights F1 block on NBCSN 0
- Manor Marussia F1 confirms trip to Melbourne 3
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 2
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 3
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1