May 9, 2014, 9:32 AM EDT
Lewis Hamilton has once again finished fastest in the second practice session for the Spanish Grand Prix on Friday afternoon in Barcelona.
The British driver posted a fastest lap of 1:25.524 to finish four-tenths of a second quicker than teammate Nico Rosberg, who completed yet another one-two for Mercedes. The rest of the field may have introduced updates to their cars in an attempt to cut the gap, but it appears that the German marque has also made a similar step forwards.
Daniel Ricciardo was the sole Red Bull taking part in FP2 after Sebastian Vettel was sidelined by a problem with the wiring loom on his car. The Australian driver made the most of his on track running, though, and finished as Mercedes’ closest challenger in third place ahead of the Ferrari duo of Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen.
McLaren once again put in an impressive display, suggesting that the British team has finally found its feet upon returning to Europe. Kevin Magnussen finished in sixth place ahead of Jenson Button.
Lotus also showed signs of a revival as Pastor Maldonado finished in ninth place, but Romain Grosjean could not match his pace and finished down in P17. Jules Bianchi and Max Chilton put in some impressive times for Marussia to beat both Caterhams, although both drivers had bodywork problems during the session.
With five minutes to go, Jean-Eric Vergne was forced to pull over at turn three after his right-rear tire was not attached correctly to his car. Toro Rosso could face a penalty for an unsafe release, with the FIA taking a zero tolerance stance to such errors. Max Chilton’s session also ended in the gravel after a mistake at turn four.
Even on the long runs, Mercedes once again laid down a dominant pace, consistently lapping at around one second per lap quicker than the rest of the field. Perhaps any thoughts that Red Bull could end Mercedes’ streak were a little premature…
Join us tomorrow on NBCSN and Live Extra from 8am ET for qualifying for the Spanish Grand Prix.
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy 200 qualifying at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- Dixon quickest with unofficial lap record in final practice at Mid-Ohio 0
- Dixon fastest on Friday at Mid-Ohio 1
- Hinchcliffe undergoes final surgery, now “can’t wait to be strapping back in” 2
- With 2016 plans undetermined, Newgarden focused on finishing 2015 strong 1
- Racing, music blend as Umphrey’s McGee partners with GTSport Racing for rest of 2015 PWC season 1
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0