May 9, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
Lewis Hamilton has expressed his delight after a superb showing during practice for the Spanish Grand Prix today.
The British driver finished fastest in both sessions, and laid down an ominous long run pace that suggests it will take something out of the ordinary to stop him from winning his fourth race in a row.
However, he traditionally is hard to please during practice. Last year in Hungary, he said that it would take a “miracle” for him to win the race, only for him to do exactly that. This time around though, Hamilton knows just how good his position is.
“I can feel the positive step forward that we’ve made with the car so a big thank you to everyone back at our factories for all of their hard work since China,” he explained. “Our two practice sessions today went very smoothly.
“In fact I’ve not had such a good Friday for a very long time!”
Hamilton has now set his sights on a good qualifying result tomorrow, which will be important considering the lack of overtaking opportunities at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya.
“It’s very difficult to overtake here so we will do everything we can to qualify as high as possible tomorrow, but really it is all about the race and looking after those tires is the most important thing,” he said. “Just finally, it’s great to see so many fans here today enjoying the action in this beautiful weather.”
Hamilton has never won the Spanish Grand Prix, but it would be an important victory to claim this weekend as he continues to state his case for a second world title in 2014.
- Lotterer: “F1 (racing) isn’t what it used to be anymore” 0
- Joey Logano avoids “yellow fever,” wins at N.H. to advance in Chase 3
- Wreck involves several Chase drivers; Keselowski spins, suffers minor damage 1
- Rosberg reflects on a tough day in Singapore (VIDEO) 2
- Reports: 2015 Sprint Cup rules package expected to be released on Tuesday 2
- Hamilton rules in Singapore to re-take championship lead as Rosberg retires 1
- Rosberg forced to retire in Singapore after electrical glitch 2