May 9, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Mercedes is set to test a prototype exhaust design at next week’s test in Spain in an attempt to find a solution to the sound problem that has marred the beginning of the new season.
The downsize from V8 engines to turbocharged V6s has resulted in a definite reduction in sound. The issue appears to be rather subjective, with some praising the new technology and not seeing the noise as a problem. However, the likes of Bernie Ecclestone and Luca di Montezemolo have expressed their disappointment with the new sound, and met in Bahrain to discuss the issue.
Soon after this, the FIA confirmed that it was looking into ways to improve the sound, and Mercedes will be the first team to test a new system which works much like the bell in a trumpet.
“Mercedes will evaluate a prototype solution during next week’s test to assess its impact on the tailpipe noise,” the team confirmed on Twitter.
“It’s a first step in a development process to address the feedback from our sport’s fans about these mega new hybrid power units.”
Teams will get the chance to test next Tuesday and Wednesday at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, which is hosting this weekend’s Spanish Grand Prix.
Mercedes also confirmed today that it has renamed its car the “F1 W05 Hybrid” in honor of the new engines for 2014.
“What we are seeing in Formula 1 today is the next generation of innovations that will eventually find their way from the race track to the road,” team boss Toto Wolff explained. “Mercedes-Benz is leading the way in promoting the positive new direction the sport has taken.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Kurt Busch, Danica Patrick glad to see boss, teammate and friend Tony Stewart back in race car 0
- Tony Stewart: ‘This is a sadness and pain that I hope no one has to experience in their life’ 9
- The most memorable moments of IndyCar 2014 (so far) 0
- Mercedes drivers “remain free to race” following meeting today 2
- With nothing to lose, IndyCar title contender Pagenaud charges into Fontana 0
- Tony Stewart’s return to NASCAR may be one of hardest things he’s ever done 33
- Tony Stewart to return to race at Atlanta this weekend 22