May 10, 2014, 11:45 AM EST
Lewis Hamilton has said that he is “overwhelmed” to have secured his fourth pole position of the 2014 season during qualifying for the Spanish Grand Prix today.
The Mercedes driver edged out teammate Nico Rosberg by one-tenth of a second at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, and secured his fourth pole position in five races, as well as his first at the circuit.
“I’m overwhelmed to get pole position because I’ve had a pretty tough day in the car, particularly after yesterday went so well,” Hamilton explained. “I was really happy on Friday and we changed a couple of small things overnight, just the tiniest of tweaks, but it was a real handful today because track conditions had changed.
“On that final run, I really had to eke out everything and more from the car and myself to get pole and I’m so happy that I managed it.”
Having won the last three races, the momentum in Formula 1 certainly lies with Hamilton, but he was quick to heap praise upon the team. The W05 Hybrid car has been totally dominant in the sport so far this season, scoring three one-twos and four wins so far.
The introduction of upgrades for other teams at this race did threaten Mercedes’ advantage, but the team has instead extended its lead over the rest of the field.
“The hard work from the team and the development step we have made this weekend are totally inspiring for me,” Hamilton said. “I haven’t experienced this level of performance before.”
From pole position, Hamilton will unquestionably be the favorite to win a fourth race in a row tomorrow, but with his teammate snapping at his heels in second place, we are likely to see another great intra-team battle at Mercedes tomorrow.
- Truex’s girlfriend passes milestone in cancer recovery 0
- McLaren reveals Honda-powered MP4-30 for 2015 F1 season 0
- LeBron James’ agent involved in Darrell Wallace Jr.’s hunt for sponsorship 1
- Sponsorship woes leave Jeb Burton scrambling again for a NASCAR ride 3
- Sprint Cup champ Kevin Harvick: “I’m as comfortable as I’ve ever been” 0
- Danica Patrick enters final year of contract but wants to stay at Stewart-Haas 14
- Start times for 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races 10