May 10, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
Lewis Hamilton has said that he is “overwhelmed” to have secured his fourth pole position of the 2014 season during qualifying for the Spanish Grand Prix today.
The Mercedes driver edged out teammate Nico Rosberg by one-tenth of a second at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, and secured his fourth pole position in five races, as well as his first at the circuit.
“I’m overwhelmed to get pole position because I’ve had a pretty tough day in the car, particularly after yesterday went so well,” Hamilton explained. “I was really happy on Friday and we changed a couple of small things overnight, just the tiniest of tweaks, but it was a real handful today because track conditions had changed.
“On that final run, I really had to eke out everything and more from the car and myself to get pole and I’m so happy that I managed it.”
Having won the last three races, the momentum in Formula 1 certainly lies with Hamilton, but he was quick to heap praise upon the team. The W05 Hybrid car has been totally dominant in the sport so far this season, scoring three one-twos and four wins so far.
The introduction of upgrades for other teams at this race did threaten Mercedes’ advantage, but the team has instead extended its lead over the rest of the field.
“The hard work from the team and the development step we have made this weekend are totally inspiring for me,” Hamilton said. “I haven’t experienced this level of performance before.”
From pole position, Hamilton will unquestionably be the favorite to win a fourth race in a row tomorrow, but with his teammate snapping at his heels in second place, we are likely to see another great intra-team battle at Mercedes tomorrow.
- DiZinno: Daytona fence crash ripple effect could extend to other motorsports 4
- Ten with Townsend: Red Bull GRC 4 races in, post-MCAS New River 0
- Smiling Through the Rain: Silverstone proved that it isn’t all doom and gloom in F1 2
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 2
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 1