May 10, 2014, 6:19 PM EDT
In the start line crash after the Verizon IndyCar Series’ standing start for the Grand Prix of Indianapolis, Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard was struck by a piece of debris. But per an official statement from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Ballard will be fine.
The official statement from IMS Medical Director Dr. Geoffrey Billows reads: “At the start of the race, [Mayor Greg Ballard] was struck by a piece of debris that resulted from the accident at the start of the race and had a minor soft tissue injury. He was evaluated and treated here, and we sent him home to rest. So he is fine.”
- Ten with Townsend: Toronto debrief 0
- Denny Hamlin’s team hit with big penalties after Brickyard infraction 4
- High 5: Chip Ganassi Racing’s win streak at Mid-Ohio (VIDEO) 0
- Chase-eligible teams – but not drivers – allowed at Homestead tire test 4
- Q&A: Kevin Healy on Milwaukee IndyFest activation heading into Wisconsin State Fair 2