Indy mayor evaluated, treated after GP of Indy start line crash

May 10, 2014, 6:19 PM EDT

IndyGPStart AP

In the start line crash after the Verizon IndyCar Series’ standing start for the Grand Prix of Indianapolis, Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard was struck by a piece of debris. But per an official statement from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Ballard will be fine.

The official statement from IMS Medical Director Dr. Geoffrey Billows reads: “At the start of the race, [Mayor Greg Ballard] was struck by a piece of debris that resulted from the accident at the start of the race and had a minor soft tissue injury. He was evaluated and treated here, and we sent him home to rest. So he is fine.”

1. chad4208 - May 10, 2014 at 6:36 PM

What is a minor soft tissue injury? I’m not too into medical jargon. But I’m glad no one was hurt from the debris. That was my first thought. What about Henchcliff though?

2. kitnamania13 - May 10, 2014 at 6:53 PM

The only mayor I care about right now is the mayor of Hinchtown. I still have no idea what happened.

3. chad4208 - May 10, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Looks like he was hit by the debris on the infield straight on that one restart. (still don’t know where that debris even came from) Someone posted on twitter or instagram…I don’t even know what I was on, I just did a Google search), that he was knocked out for a second but I have no idea how reliable that is. The only solid news is that he was transported to the hospital.

4. Jeff - May 10, 2014 at 8:41 PM

I think IndyCar should get back to its roots and ditch standing starts.

5. apm - May 10, 2014 at 8:45 PM

I thought I saw something go high enough to clear the fence in one of the replays. Pretty much a worst-case scenario for a crash on a standing start there.

Video from NASCAR America