May 10, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
On Thursday, Helio Castroneves’ Indianapolis 500 livery was unveiled to pay tribute to the past.
On Saturday, Townsend Bell’s Indianapolis 500 livery was unveiled to look forward to the present.
Bell’s No. 6 Robert Graham-Royal Purple-Beneteau USA livery for KV Racing Technology was revealed in front of the Gasoline Alley sign. Bell’s sporting a car that has standard carbon fiber on most, but has a zipper revealing a vibrant, multi-colored nose and wing accents that will undoubtedly stand out from the rest of the field.
Additionally, Bell premiered a new yellow and green helmet, a primarily white fire suit and a white, checkered driving cap. Bell’s multi-colored Fedoras last year made quite an impact and with a similar style to what Jean Alesi had two years ago in the Lotus-powered Fan Force United entry, Bell’s hats will stand out once more.
“We’ve got fun, cool, hip, passionate sponsors. That makes it really fun,” said Bell, who besides his Indianapolis 500 deal for this year also is an NBC Sports Group analyst for the Verizon IndyCar Series and Red Bull Global Rallycross, and a full-time competitor in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship with AIM Autosport’s Ferrari 458 Italia GT3.
“It’s about being out with the old and in with the bold for Robert Graham. We’ve got something here that’s pretty bold. Even the inside is wrapped and decalled.”
In seven prior ‘500 starts, Bell’s best finish is fourth with KV in 2009. He returns to the team after driving for Panther Racing last year and Sam Schmidt’s team the previous three years (2010-2012).
“I’m thrilled to be back here with KV, as I have my previous high water mark with my best finish here before, and they did so well last year,” he said of the defending champion team.
Practice for this year’s Indianapolis 500 kicks off on Sunday.
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 0
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 1
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 2
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1