May 10, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
On Thursday, Helio Castroneves’ Indianapolis 500 livery was unveiled to pay tribute to the past.
On Saturday, Townsend Bell’s Indianapolis 500 livery was unveiled to look forward to the present.
Bell’s No. 6 Robert Graham-Royal Purple-Beneteau USA livery for KV Racing Technology was revealed in front of the Gasoline Alley sign. Bell’s sporting a car that has standard carbon fiber on most, but has a zipper revealing a vibrant, multi-colored nose and wing accents that will undoubtedly stand out from the rest of the field.
Additionally, Bell premiered a new yellow and green helmet, a primarily white fire suit and a white, checkered driving cap. Bell’s multi-colored Fedoras last year made quite an impact and with a similar style to what Jean Alesi had two years ago in the Lotus-powered Fan Force United entry, Bell’s hats will stand out once more.
“We’ve got fun, cool, hip, passionate sponsors. That makes it really fun,” said Bell, who besides his Indianapolis 500 deal for this year also is an NBC Sports Group analyst for the Verizon IndyCar Series and Red Bull Global Rallycross, and a full-time competitor in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship with AIM Autosport’s Ferrari 458 Italia GT3.
“It’s about being out with the old and in with the bold for Robert Graham. We’ve got something here that’s pretty bold. Even the inside is wrapped and decalled.”
In seven prior ‘500 starts, Bell’s best finish is fourth with KV in 2009. He returns to the team after driving for Panther Racing last year and Sam Schmidt’s team the previous three years (2010-2012).
“I’m thrilled to be back here with KV, as I have my previous high water mark with my best finish here before, and they did so well last year,” he said of the defending champion team.
Practice for this year’s Indianapolis 500 kicks off on Sunday.
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 0
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 10
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick victorious on debut ADAC F4 weekend 1