May 10, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
If you’re heading to Sonoma Raceway for the Toyota/Save Mart 350 on June 22, racetrack officials want you to get into training for the event.
No, the track doesn’t want you to start doing pushups or lift weights. Rather, for the second straight year, track officials want fans to hop on board an actual train and head to the racetrack in comfort, leaving the driving to someone else.
The NASCAR Express will leave Sacramento, with stops in Davis and Suisun City, and “traverse some of Northern California’s most spectacular scenery before dropping passengers just steps from the raceway’s main entrance,” according to a media release from the racetrack.
Last year’s first NASCAR Express sold out nearly a week before the race, and with more lead time for publicity and promotion, it’s expected to once again sell out early, if not earlier than last year.
“The NASCAR Express was a resounding success in its first year,” said Steve Page, Sonoma Raceway president and general manager. “Our fans told us it turned the race experience into a full day’s adventure and they can’t wait to board the train again this June.”
Admittedly, the train ticket is a bit pricey at $199, which is probably more than most race tickets. However, you get a good return on your investment:
* A reserved-seat in the Main Grandstand.
* Round-trip travel from Sacramento, Davis or Suisun.
* VIP main-gate entry.
* On-track access to driver introduction and pre-race ceremonies.
* Special T-shirt commemorating the train ride.
* You can avoid what can be lengthy and frustrating traffic delays into the track.
* You won’t have to worry about parking at an appreciable distance (the train station is literally at the track’s front gate).
* You can have breakfast on the way to the track in one of two café’ cars, as well as a post-race meal on the way home.
“Fantastic, awesome, best day ever,” said race fan Terry Donigan, who rode the NASCAR Express in 2013. “The train ride through the Napa back country is just beautiful and it was a great way to get to the race. I can’t wait to do it again this year!”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Team Penske pushing for incredible season (VIDEO) 0
- Lotterer: “F1 (racing) isn’t what it used to be anymore” 0
- Joey Logano avoids “yellow fever,” wins at N.H. to advance in Chase 3
- Wreck involves several Chase drivers; Keselowski spins, suffers minor damage 1
- Rosberg reflects on a tough day in Singapore (VIDEO) 2
- Reports: 2015 Sprint Cup rules package expected to be released on Tuesday 2
- Hamilton rules in Singapore to re-take championship lead as Rosberg retires 1