May 11, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Joey Logano may have faded late after leading 63 laps during the middle stages of last night’s 5-Hour Energy 400 at Kansas Speedway, but the Team Penske driver was still able to chalk up his sixth Top-5 finish of the year with a fourth-place result.
With 60 laps to go in the 267-lap race, Logano restarted up front alongside Kevin Harvick and appeared to be in contention for what would have been his third Sprint Cup win of the season.
Meanwhile, Logano slipped one more spot in the final laps as Kasey Kahne peeled third place off of him while he was trying to dispatch a lapped car.
“That last restart, the 4 and 24 [Harvick and Gordon] just took off and left me – I was like, ‘Man, wait for me!’,” Logano said afterwards. “Those guys were quick.
“We missed our adjustments a little bit trying to keep up with the track. I feel like we should have finished third. The 5 [Kahne] got by me when I was trying to get around a lap car and I am disappointed in myself there.
Logano still was the top Ford driver on the night, leading a three-driver contingent from the Blue Oval that made the Top 10.
With two wins in hand from Texas and Richmond, Logano will be in the hunt for a massive payday in next weekend’s Sprint All-Star Race at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
While the All-Star will be a non-points event, a $1 million prize is going to the winner.
“Overall, it is a solid Top-5 finish again and we will keep that momentum going and have some fun next week in Charlotte and go for a million bucks.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1
- Insight: Planning Andretti’s Sports Marketing promotional efforts at Miami and NOLA 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 2
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 4