May 11, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Nico Rosberg believes that he might have been able to pass Lewis Hamilton and win the Spanish Grand Prix had the race been one lap longer, after finishing just 0.6 seconds behind the Briton in second place today.
Hamilton won the race from pole position, but he came under significant pressure from Rosberg in the dying stages of the race as the German driver caught up on quicker tires. Despite getting within DRS range, he was never close enough to try and make a pass, but he believes that a 67th lap could have provided this.
“I think one more, to be honest,” Rosberg explained on the podium after the race. “One more, I could have given it a good go.
“I wasn’t close enough to give it a go there, but next lap I would have. But unfortunately that was it.
“A bit gutted, but still, second place, still close in the championship and many more races to go anyway.”
Rosberg lost the lead of the championship to Hamilton this weekend, and now trails his teammate by three points. However, he did maintain his 100% podium record in 2014, and is now hoping to repeat his 2013 win at the next race in Monaco.
“Definitely, I’ll be going there to do it one better, try and come first there and repeat the win from last year,” he said when asked about the race in two weeks’ time. “That’s the aim, we’ll see if it works out.”
Hamilton was quick to say that he believed Rosberg was the quicker driver all weekend, but he still managed to finish ahead on track and secure his fourth straight win. However, Rosberg will know that he came very close today, and was not as far behind as he had been in China. There is still a very long way to go in the 2014 season, and we can expect this intra-team battle to rage on until the final round in Abu Dhabi.
- Tony Stewart sets fastest qualifying speed ever on 1.5-mile track (200.111 mph), but Matt Kenseth wins pole at Texas 0
- United States GP Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Hamilton inches away from Rosberg to top FP2 at COTA 0
- Sebastian Vettel to start United States GP from pit lane 0
- Hamilton quickest in first practice for United States GP 1
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0