May 12, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
The Petty family is dealing with another loss.
Earlier today, Richard Petty Motorsports confirmed the death of Patricia Petty, the wife of NASCAR Hall of Fame engine builder/crew chief Maurice Petty and the sister-in-law of seven-time NASCAR Sprint Cup champion Richard Petty. She passed away on Sunday.
Her loss comes less than two months after Richard’s wife, Lynda, died at the age of 72. Richard has released the following statement:
“We all love Patricia. She was another cornerstone in the Petty family and was always there for Maurice and allowed us to do what we loved to do. She was just another special part of the family. We’ll miss her and give our love and support to Maurice and his family at this time.”
The confirmation of Patricia’s death comes on the 14th anniversary of the 2000 death of Adam Petty, Richard’s grandson and the first fourth-generation driver in NASCAR history.
Our thoughts are with the Petty family at this time.
Video from NASCAR America
- Ferrari chairman expects another tough season in 2015 0
- Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship” 3
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 1
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 53
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4