May 12, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
The Petty family is dealing with another loss.
Earlier today, Richard Petty Motorsports confirmed the death of Patricia Petty, the wife of NASCAR Hall of Fame engine builder/crew chief Maurice Petty and the sister-in-law of seven-time NASCAR Sprint Cup champion Richard Petty. She passed away on Sunday.
Her loss comes less than two months after Richard’s wife, Lynda, died at the age of 72. Richard has released the following statement:
“We all love Patricia. She was another cornerstone in the Petty family and was always there for Maurice and allowed us to do what we loved to do. She was just another special part of the family. We’ll miss her and give our love and support to Maurice and his family at this time.”
The confirmation of Patricia’s death comes on the 14th anniversary of the 2000 death of Adam Petty, Richard’s grandson and the first fourth-generation driver in NASCAR history.
Our thoughts are with the Petty family at this time.
- Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach 0
- Hamilton eases to fourth straight pole position in Bahrain 0
- Hamilton closes out Bahrain GP practice on top 0
- INDYCAR confirms more aero kit updates coming to Long Beach 1
- Rocky Moran Jr. to replace Huertas in Coyne’s No. 18 for Long Beach 7
- Rosberg heads up Mercedes one-two in Bahrain FP2 1
- Kimi Raikkonen quickest in first practice for Bahrain GP 2