May 12, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
The Petty family is dealing with another loss.
Earlier today, Richard Petty Motorsports confirmed the death of Patricia Petty, the wife of NASCAR Hall of Fame engine builder/crew chief Maurice Petty and the sister-in-law of seven-time NASCAR Sprint Cup champion Richard Petty. She passed away on Sunday.
Her loss comes less than two months after Richard’s wife, Lynda, died at the age of 72. Richard has released the following statement:
“We all love Patricia. She was another cornerstone in the Petty family and was always there for Maurice and allowed us to do what we loved to do. She was just another special part of the family. We’ll miss her and give our love and support to Maurice and his family at this time.”
The confirmation of Patricia’s death comes on the 14th anniversary of the 2000 death of Adam Petty, Richard’s grandson and the first fourth-generation driver in NASCAR history.
Our thoughts are with the Petty family at this time.
Video from NASCAR America
- IndyCar’s Graham Rahal, NHRA’s Courtney Force engaged 3
- Police seek cause of death of race fan found near Talladega 0
- MST exclusive: BK Racing co-owner Anthony Marlowe apologizes for Cole Whitt/David Ragan tweet controversy 0
- What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014 1
- Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports 5
- NBCSN’s F1 coverage delivers best ever single-season numbers for a cable network 6
- Mercedes reserve Wehrlein leads final Abu Dhabi test day to end 2014 0