May 13, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Let’s get started off the bat with this. That headline above? Not a misprint.
“Mighty” Max Chilton and little ol’ Marussia indeed led a somewhat rainy first day of Formula One testing today at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya.
The British driver finished 19th last weekend on the same track in last weekend’s Spanish Grand Prix, but threw down a lap of 1 minute, 26.434 seconds that gave him top honors today.
That time was an improvement of more than three seconds from the qualifying time he set on Saturday going into the race.
It may have just been a test session, but driver and team were still delighted by their performance.
Also turning in a strong performance was Lotus reserve Charles Pic, who went second-fastest with a time of 1 minute, 26.661 seconds. The Frenchman is backing up Romain Grosjean and Pastor Maldonado this year after racing with Caterham in 2013.
Lewis Hamilton, who won his fourth Grand Prix in a row last weekend at Barcelona and took over the World Championship lead as a result, was third-fastest in his Mercedes at 1 minute, 26.674 seconds.
Kimi Raikkonen was fourth-fastest but he and Ferrari had a tough afternoon. Shortly after he had begun his work for the day, he was forced to stop his car on course as smoke billowed from it.
He would come back in the afternoon, but a later spin into the gravel forced Ferrari to end his day early.
Jean-Eric Vergne overcame two stoppages early on to round out the Top 5 for Scuderia Toro Rosso. His team and Sauber were charged with tire development this afternoon for Pirelli. Tomorrow, those duties will shift to McLaren and Force India.
Multiple red flags marked the day’s events. In addition to Raikkonen and Vergne’s issues, Red Bull reserve Sebastien Buemi brought one out when he stopped with gearbox problems. Ditto for Kamui Kobayashi of Caterham, who crashed at Turn 3 late.
FORMULA ONE TESTING – DAY ONE, CIRCUIT DE BARCELONA-CATALUNYA
1. Max Chilton, Marussia-Ferrari, 1:26.434, 60 laps
2. Charles Pic, Lotus-Renault, 1:26.661, 70 laps
3. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, 1:26.674, 79 laps
4. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 1:26.965, 21 laps
5. Jean-Eric Vergne, Toro Rosso-Renault, 1:27.724, 52 laps
6. Nico Hulkenberg, Force India-Mercedes, 1:27.727, 53 laps
7. Felipe Massa, Williams-Mercedes, 1:27.756, 55 laps
8. Jenson Button, McLaren-Mercedes, 1:28.333, 74 laps
9. Kamui Kobayashi, Caterham-Renault, 1:30.101, 72 laps
10. Sebastien Buemi, Red Bull-Renault, 1:31.440, 54 laps
11. Giedo van der Garde, Sauber-Ferrari, 1:31.783, 86 laps
Aug 29, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
Power does it again in qualifying at Sonoma.
Aug 29, 2015, 7:13 PM EDT
Oriol Servia reflects on Justin Wilson.
Aug 29, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
Power is only active driver in the field with a pole since 2008 at Sonoma.
Aug 29, 2015, 4:19 PM EDT
Marquez beats his own lap record for pole position at Silverstone.
Aug 29, 2015, 2:42 PM EDT
All-American top three as track record eclipsed, unofficially, at Sonoma.
Aug 29, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Trulli looks poised to stick with its own powertrain for despite only completing seven laps in pre-season.
Aug 29, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Second practice for the Verizon IndyCar Series’ GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma is live from 10:30 a.m. PT, 1:30 p.m. ET, today on NBCSN.
Aug 29, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Bottas had been linked with a seat at Ferrari for 2016, until the team confirmed that it would be retaining Kimi Raikkonen.
Aug 29, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Lotus technical director Nick Chester reveals the cause of Maldonado’s DNF in the Belgian Grand Prix.
Aug 29, 2015, 9:03 AM EDT
Marc Lieb and Romain Dumas take Porsche to its fourth pole position of the season, edging out the sister no. 17 car.
Aug 29, 2015, 4:38 AM EDT
Marc Lieb storms to the top of the timesheets in the no. 18 Porsche, heading up a 1-2 finish in FP3.
Aug 28, 2015, 10:38 PM EDT
The title contenders sum up their chances heading into Sonoma.
Aug 28, 2015, 9:11 PM EDT
A long day on Friday ends with Will Power on top of the timesheets.
Aug 28, 2015, 8:11 PM EDT
Quick series of interviews and tributes flow in for Justin Wilson on site at Sonoma.
Aug 28, 2015, 7:16 PM EDT
The 10th place driver in NHRA Top Fuel standings gets released from his contract at DSR.
Aug 28, 2015, 6:40 PM EDT
Sage Karam speaks with reporters Friday at Sonoma Raceway.
Aug 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Marquez and Lorenzo continue their fight at the front of the MotoGP field in practice at Silverstone on Friday.
Aug 28, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
IndyCar concludes its season at Sonoma this weekend.
Aug 28, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Prost and Buemi retained by the defending teams’ champion for season two.
Aug 28, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Porsche will debut a new aero kit at this weekend’s 6 Hours of Nürburgring in Germany.
- Power steals final pole of IndyCar’s 2015 season with new track record at Sonoma 0
- Oriol Servia reflects on his friend Justin Wilson, as he races No. 25 car at Sonoma (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 1
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5